Amazing Nature

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Amazing Nature

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:39 pm Well, we'll try here then... :thumb:

Not been working on those "Flood Defenses" again have you DM.... :D :wink: :duck:
We must excuse our elderly residents here Pete. Technology can be tricky. Not got youth on their side like us :thumb:

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

A tad groggy today, as you know, Pietro. I saw Science & Nature and then my brain disengaged...
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:50 pm A tad groggy today, as you know, Pietro. I saw Science & Nature and then my brain disengaged...
Hope you're doing ok DM. :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Beware of bushfire clouds

https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2 ... 0Australia
The stages of development of a pyrocumulonimbus cloud. Image courtesy of the Bureau of Meteorology.
The stages of development of a pyrocumulonimbus cloud. Image courtesy of the Bureau of Meteorology.
pyrocumulus_diagram.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
The Bureau of Meteorology says bushfires can create their own weather. ‘[Pyrocumulonimbus clouds] are a thunderstorm that forms in the smoke plume of a fire (or nuclear bomb blast or volcanic ash cloud),’ the bureau says. ‘In Australia, they most commonly form in large and intense bushfire smoke plumes.

‘As the plume rises to higher and higher elevations, the atmospheric pressure reduces, causing the plume air to expand and cool … If it cools enough, the moisture in the plume air will condense and forms cumulus cloud which, because it comes from the fire plume, we call “pyrocumulus”.

‘Further expansion and cooling cause more moisture to condense and the cloud air to accelerate upwards even more … Having produced a thunderstorm, the cloud is now known as “pyrocumulonimbus”.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Christ, not a "Weather Cycle" you'd want anywhere....

Have worked in and visited Australia many times - great place, less so the people... Even less regarding the "Rugby Fraternity". Of course I'm extracting the urine - I've had great times there and met great friends.

We mainly worked in the Perth area on the Mine Sites - but at the time one of our "Global Offices" was in Sydney, so obviously I visited on several occasions. A good friend and colleague who has now sadly passed, worked out of the Sydney office and lived locally. He and his wife took myself and the LHG sightseeing on many occasions, and we saw first hand the issues with the fires - how easy to start, the devastation they could cause - not just to property, but more importantly (to me at times) the wildlife... The "LAW" was basically no naked flames, no matches, no smoking, no BBQ's - DON'T EVEN FART!!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Garden Birdwatch 2024

https://www.countryfile.com/wildlife/bi ... -birdwatch

26th — 28th January 2024

Already in the 2nd day now out of 3. I hope some of those reading in from the UK can participate. Things like this become more and more important given the steady decline of species throughout our world. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:15 am Already in the 2nd day now out of 3. I hope some of those reading in from the UK can participate. Things like this become more and more important given the steady decline of species throughout our world. :cheers:
Have been doing this (or similar) for a fair few years. During Covid and more recently, it's been great to sit and watch the wildlife. I'm far from an expert, but even I have seen differences in the UK bird population (or at least locally) in recent years. A greater number of Robins for example - very much against what is being said! We have 3 regulars in our garden despite the fact that they are very territorial and normally you would only see one..

Blue Tits are common in our garden, but unfortunately we don't get to see much of the Goldfinch which is a beautiful bird. We have a pair of Wood Pigeons which are here year after year and I swear, have the same "relationship" issues that we all do!! Very easy to tell when he's in the "Bad Books"!!

There's also a pair of Magpies who nest close to us but basically take advantage of anything and everything passed out for others.... 2 or 3 years back now, the whole brood descended on us. Can't honestly say I've ever seen 5 together in or around a small back garden before - I'm still waiting for the silver...!!

For those who don't know the rhyme: -

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

It does go on, but beware 13.... Thirteen beware it's the devil himself.

The UK has some striking birds, but perhaps not quite as colourful as those in Asia, all the same, quite beautiful.

:cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, a toss-up for being here or in the Photography thread, but....

Wildlife Photographer of the Year People's Choice Award Winner
WPY-Winner.jpg
WPY-Winner.jpg (45.41 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Some incredible shots - more at link.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-68215592

:cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-68250382
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (10.53 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Some idiot let one of these monsters loose in Cumbria! :cuss: :banghead:
An invasive alligator snapping turtle has been pulled from a Cumbrian tarn.

A dog walker found the exotic creature, which is native to swamps and rivers in southern parts of the US, in Urswick Tarn, near Ulverston, on Monday.

Parish councillor Denise Chamberlain fished it out of the water with a shopping basket and took it to a vet.

Dr Dominic Moule said the turtle, which was named Fluffy, gives a "nasty bite" and would likely have eaten through everything if it had not been rescued.

Ms Chamberlain, who has lived in Florida, saw a social media post about the turtle and "immediately recognised" the species.

"I suspect somebody has bought it and not realised what it is, it has got too big for them to look after or they cannot afford to feed it," she said.

While it is not illegal to own an alligator snapping turtle, vets do not recommend keeping them as pets due their complicated needs.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^
The turtle's name seemed appropriate. :)

Screenshot_20240209-202703_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240209-202703_Chrome.jpg (38.82 KiB) Viewed 628 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:16 am Some idiot let one of these monsters loose in Cumbria! :cuss: :banghead:

Indeed. I've been watching on the news this morning - incredible tat these buggers can grow up to 80kg!! :shock:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Makes great soup. I grew up eating it in Philadelphia and still enjoy it. :shock:

1b552cf255c5d70d357fa2c25ece7cb2e4bb0fb4359d9a9d4fe08ae2e52f90d4.jpg
1b552cf255c5d70d357fa2c25ece7cb2e4bb0fb4359d9a9d4fe08ae2e52f90d4.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 579 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

PeteC wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:01 pm Makes great soup. I grew up eating it in Philadelphia and still enjoy it. :shock:
I was partial to the bisques:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (309.15 KiB) Viewed 550 times
On Topic ... what kind of idiots introduce animals in places they're no indigenous :shock:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

The penguin corrected himself swiftly. 🤣

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

:lach: :lach: :lach: