The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Re: Buriram Trip Report with Photos

Post by PeteC »

Most if not all pick up's have drain holes where the floor meets the front wall of the bed. Hopefully any bed liner that's installed has holes as well, or places where holes should be cut out.

At the other end, tailgates are not watertight and water will drain naturally from there while driving. Again, if a bed liner is put in it could hinder rear drainage if it fills up that hinged tailgate gap.

With the Toyota Tiger PU I had years ago the bed liner installation people knew what to do and made sure the appropriate holes/gaps were there.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Post by Big Boy »

My liner was dealer fitted, as most are. There are certainly no drainage holes in my liner. As for draining through the tailgate - yes, if I brake suddenly going uphill (which is what I did in the Buriram trip report), but it does seem to be a rather good fit.

I've always considered it a design feature :D.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

In days gone by (the 90's) you had to go to someone like Carryboy to get your bed liners. I don't recall Toyota ever offering it back then as an accessory.

Get some young flexible lad to go under your Ford and check to see if holes at the front of the bed where it meets the wall.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

2019-ford-Ranger-Lariat-5-of-18-1200x798.jpg
2019-ford-Ranger-Lariat-5-of-18-1200x798.jpg (169.81 KiB) Viewed 1560 times

That's a 2019 Ford Ranger. It appears to be a punch out in the liner a bit raised from the bed surface. It leads to somewhere so there must be a hole or gap in the steel bed floor somewhere below that punch out.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We've got an older Toyota Vigo and a new Isuzu Dmax and I don't recall either of them having drainage in the bed liners, any water just goes out of the tailgate.
If I don't take care and park with the back end out of the carport, you can end up with a cm or so of water in the back.
To be honest, I've rarely put anything delicate in the back so never gave it much thought but those fitted covers make sense if you're using it for luggage.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Can you drill a couple of holes in the bed of the truck?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:49 pm Can you drill a couple of holes in the bed of the truck?
Or, are canvas or fiberglass bed covers available here?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 pm
handdrummer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:49 pm Can you drill a couple of holes in the bed of the truck?
Or, are canvas or fiberglass bed covers available here?
Yes, you can get lockable fibreglass covers so you can basically have a large boot/trunk space.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:42 pm That's a 2019 Ford Ranger. It appears to be a punch out in the liner a bit raised from the bed surface. It leads to somewhere so there must be a hole or gap in the steel bed floor somewhere below that punch out.
I don't know about 2019, but when my car was new, 10 years ago, Ford did not brand their add ons. I actually felt seen off when none of my add ons had Ford Branding, but I soon realised any spares with Ford Branding were knock-offs. Of course, that may have changed with time.

Looking at Pete's photo, even if you did punch those bits out, you will still hold a few cms of water.

Here is a photo of my Ford fitted 2012 liner.
bed.jpg
(341.91 KiB) Downloaded 1087 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Had a liner fitted from new when I bought a Navarra about six years ago. No drainage holes and where we lived the car was parked on a slight slope. If I left it parked downslope when it rained I had to make sure that nobody was following me for the first upslope. Fortunately we were in a small Moobaan and the roads were quiet with an upslope on the way out.
I would have been reluctant to put any drain holes in it as the gap between the liner and original bed would have become a rust trap. I do wonder what lies beneath the liners of many older trucks and expansion and contraction plus carrying loads will likely wear through the paint underneath. Has anyone removed a liner from an older truck and found out.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:46 pm Had a liner fitted from new when I bought a Navarra about six years ago. No drainage holes and where we lived the car was parked on a slight slope. If I left it parked downslope when it rained I had to make sure that nobody was following me for the first upslope. Fortunately we were in a small Moobaan and the roads were quiet with an upslope on the way out.
I would have been reluctant to put any drain holes in it as the gap between the liner and original bed would have become a rust trap. I do wonder what lies beneath the liners of many older trucks and expansion and contraction plus carrying loads will likely wear through the paint underneath. Has anyone removed a liner from an older truck and found out.
I’m sure your suspicions of what to expect are well founded!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Any manufacturer existing hole in the front of the liner, and any made by an owner, are not meant to be drilled through the metal truck bed. There should be a small gap at the front of the truck bed that allows for drainage.

Any front liner hole should match up with that gap.

I don't have a pick-up any longer so I can't check how they're manufacturing this gap, if any, these days. :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Here is Ford Rangers great, great, great, great, grandfather.

It is a 1954 Australian Ford Mainline. Called a “ute” in Oz speak, it was unique to Australia. (in the US a Mainline was a sedan car) It had a chassis from the same year Ford convertible car, and the same flathead side valve V8 engine. (and a front seat the size of a double bed!)

But the point here is that it came with a canvas cover for the tub. There was a “gutter” behind the rear window, and the cover had a molded round matching section that fitted into it. There were 2 wooden “bows” that fitted into sockets to make a tent like cover. Around the outsides and rear of the tub were push on clips to retain the cover in place.

Absolutely water tight, and I remember as a kid going on a road trip with my father, and we slept in the tub under the cover.

mainline sml.jpg
mainline sml.jpg (31.04 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
woolclip sml.jpg
woolclip sml.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
And yes, that is my first Land Rover!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Better beast of burden - Mitsubishi's sixth-gen Triton

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/mo ... gen-triton. (Photos)

You'll fit in this one BB. I sat in one the other day and the front compartment is as big or bigger than any Ford Ranger I've been in.

If you wander by a showroom, take a look. :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:Better beast of burden - Mitsubishi's sixth-gen Triton

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/mo ... gen-triton. (Photos)

You'll fit in this one BB. I sat in one the other day and the front compartment is as big or bigger than any Ford Ranger I've been in.

If you wander by a showroom, take a look. :cheers:
After 11 years he must be due an update!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk