The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by pharvey »

I have been a big fan and supporter of Gatland and understand the lack of players/talent available to him currently but FFS! I'm at a loss as to several selections for the team to face Italy. And then the news George North is calling it a day on his international career after this match.... After 110+ Caps for Wales and the Lions, fair play to him :bow: I just pray this 6 Nations and his last match will not be a blot on his career!!

Rugby is a stressful thing for us in Wales, the pressure from our "neighbours" is always there - even those online will take advantage when they can :roll: :( So......... My dear LHG with obvious foresight, made sure of a romantic getaway for our anniversary :D , so I may well miss the match as we are travelling. Travelling where you may ask - ITALY!! So basically, if Wales lose, the urine will not only be extracted as to the result, but the fact that I'm supporting from the wrong country!! :banghead: :oops:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No urine extracted, but you recall I gave up on Gatland when I saw him try to turn the New Zealand Chiefs into a European battering ram team and took away most of the open, fast pace game. They finished way down the table that year in Super Rugby. I think he had a player rebellion on his hands that year but most of it was kept under wraps. He was more or less gone the next season. His son has disappeared from the Highlanders and Chiefs as well. I haven't googled him but I think he may be playing for one of the Pacific island teams this year?

As you say, forget about all of that and enjoy your holiday! :thumb: :cheers: :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:11 am So.... My dear LHG with obvious foresight, made sure of a romantic getaway for our anniversary :D ,
I'm sure I've said this before on more than one occasion, but the LHG is obviously much too good for you.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:39 am No urine extracted, but you recall I gave up on Gatland when I saw him try to turn the New Zealand Chiefs into a European battering ram team and took away most of the open, fast pace game. They finished way down the table that year in Super Rugby. I think he had a player rebellion on his hands that year but most of it was kept under wraps. He was more or less gone the next season. His son has disappeared from the Highlanders and Chiefs as well. I haven't googled him but I think he may be playing for one of the Pacific island teams this year?
Gatland Snr's game plan worked well for Wales at the time, but we no longer have the big hitters or the Half-backs or a true game changer. That said, whilst I'm lost with regards to recent selections - I can't bin the guy. It was agreed to give him and the coaching team time to build, well that time is coming to the point where we need to see results. Unfortunately for the lads, we now play a resurgent and exciting Italian team before playing some of the world's best in the summer.... :roll:

As for Junior (Bryn), he had a bad injury and has been off, but I hear he's heading to Japan when fit(?).
dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:14 am
pharvey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:11 am So.... My dear LHG with obvious foresight, made sure of a romantic getaway for our anniversary :D ,
I'm sure I've said this before on more than one occasion, but the LHG is obviously much too good for you.
Well, as you know only too well - indeed she is (but then again, with me being Welsh I was a lucky catch!! :D ).

:cheers: :cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:11 am And then the news George North is calling it a day on his international career after this match.... After 110+ Caps for Wales and the Lions, fair play to him :bow: I just pray this 6 Nations and his last match will not be a blot on his career!!
I saw that this morning in the news. I'd hate for such a titan of rugby to go out with a wooden spoon so I have to root for your boys on Saturday. I'm sure there will be some noise for him.

North on this tournament:

"This is a great opportunity for these guys to forge what they want from the next World Cup cycle and to stamp their name on the jersey," said North.

"It is a fresh start and a new beginning for many of these guys. I've had my journey and loved it.

"Now it is time for those boys to have theirs and to love it as much as I have."

Once the dust has settled, how personally would he like to be remembered?

"Half-decent would be nice, I hope people will think of me as a Test animal," said North.

"Someone who would never give in, would give everything, and left nothing out there."

As North finished his media duties, a round of applause followed. A rare act but fitting for a modern day Wales great.

+
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Wales need to get themselves going if they’re to avoid an embarrassing defeat against Italy - after 30 minutes they trail 0-11.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

0-18 after 50 mins. Wherever pharvey is, let's hope he's not watching...
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I thought I'd share my exchange with Pietro, just in case you're worried about him.

Me: Are you somewhere you can watch the game?
P: No, but I've seen the fecking score!!!
Me: Where are you?
P: Sicily. Incognito.
Me: Oh. Lovely. Isn't that part of Italy...?😁
P: Dark glasses and attempting an American accent
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

:D
Certanly not the first time an underperforming Welsh team finished very strongly. Another 10 minutes, who knows? Great result for Italy and the Six Nations tournament though.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:41 pm :D
Certanly not the first time an underperforming Welsh team finished very strongly. Another 10 minutes, who knows? Great result for Italy and the Six Nations tournament though.
Underperforming is being too kind to Wales, they were absolutely atrocious for well over an hour and those 2 late tries made the game look closer than it was.

I have to say, though, that it's good to see Italy shifting up a gear or two recently, and I hope they can keep it up (except when they play England of course). It has to be good for the game.
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:34 am Underperforming is being too kind to Wales, they were absolutely atrocious for well over an hour and those 2 late tries made the game look closer than it was.
The match is only as close as the final score, irrespective of performance over 80 minutes. My point was that Wales have a lot of form for this type of last 10-15 minutes. Italy lost focus so they didn't deserve a big final margin of points.

Yes Wales were truly awful, but it's actually a fallacy to say 'they didn't deserve' the final score. Get the ball over the whitewash, it's a try...
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, the LHG has decided that I along with my faithful crutch are far too slow to keep up with her, so I'm enjoying a few beers on the balcony whilst she terrifies the locals on one of her "yomping" trips to the nearby town and coast..... I was going to watch the rugby highlights, but judging by the reports on here and in the UK press, I thought better of it!

Welsh rugby is a complete and utter disaster at the moment top to bottom.... This 6 Nations was always going to be a poor one for us and Garland wanted and needed some time and patience - well, he's had that and despite the odd flicker of light, We're no further forward. We need to see some progress, but that's unlikely certainly in the near future the way things stand. Christ, next up are World Champions SA in June (at Twickenham FFS) and then a summer tour of Australia.... :roll:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:06 pm I thought I'd share my exchange with Pietro, just in case you're worried about him.

Me: Are you somewhere you can watch the game?
P: No, but I've seen the fecking score!!!
Me: Where are you?
P: Sicily. Incognito.
Me: Oh. Lovely. Isn't that part of Italy...?😁
P: Dark glasses and attempting an American accent
Seems They're more into Wendy all and Basketball in this neck of the woods......
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well then, arrived back and caught up on some rugby - the Sarries vs 'Queens was recorded and got to see Bath vs Sale live this afternoon!! :thumb:

How wonderful it was to see the Wendyball of 'Queens being somewhat embarrassed (a tie with Crashappen in F1 :wink: ). In all seriousness, 'Quins really were put to the sword - they were as bad as Sarries were good. I must admit I was expecting a far closer game full of running rugby. 'Quins defence was absolutely dire at times, certain players simply didn't turn up and the mood Sarries were in, that only made for one result! Love to see 'Quins get stuffed, just wish it was Bath that did it!!

On to Bath, today's match against Sale was a cracker - truly! Hell, even DM said so despite being a Smith lover and "Barf disliker" (my contribution to the dictionary :duck: ) :D

It really was the ideal setting (also as DM will attest to) - for me it's one of (if not) the best Rugby Club grounds there is. Today, blue skies, sunshine and a full house. And a Bath win!! :thumb:

For the first 60 minutes, it was to and fro - HT just 4 points separating them. Bath handled a Yellow Card well - no question it was a Yellow under current rules, but....
Russell again was class but had his moments less so... As did a number of Bath players. Spencer with a try saving tackle, a give away interception try, Ollie Lawrence with some class breaks, a Try but then some missed tackles and a Yellow. Joe Cokanasiga and Will Muir were absolute class IMHO.

Sale were looking bloody dangerous, Tuilagi for one, but in the last quarter their scrummage went to pot giving Bath a clear advantage and with the backline they have now....

Next up Bath visit the 'Queens away at Lah-de-Dah House..

I shall spend tomorrow catching up on the Welsh Rugby.... The LHG has been removing all sharp implements and installing "Corner Guards" before allowing me to do so.... :oops:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:37 am On to Bath, today's match against Sale was a cracker - truly! Hell, even DM said so despite being a Smith lover and "Barf disliker" (my contribution to the dictionary :duck: ) :D
In my own defence I must take issue with the "Barf disliker" tag. While I admire young Smith for the quality of his buttocks side step, I've never been an ardent supporter of any individual team, but I've always had a soft spot for a few, including Barf. I can appreciate an excellent pair of buttocks performance as well as anyone.
This is the way