VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: VPN Recommendations

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s probably the sane response as I have been getting - they have admitted that they have a number of customers in a similar position - I’d have thought all of them and unless they can come up with a fix, they won’t be getting a lot of renewals!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Exactly, the more that complain about it - the more likely they are to fix it!

Shame, as I can't see another VPN provider quadrupling my speed!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:06 pm
GroveHillWanderer wrote:My Surfshark VPN is still working fine with BBC iPlayer. It's also a really good deal, $47.76 for a 2 year subscription (works out at $1.99 a month).
Although I’d be happy to pay your lower rates than what I currently pay, it’s the service that’s all important, but if they don’t resolve the issue soon, I’ll be giving Sufshark my money!! Thanks for the recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just in the spirit of full disclosure, I should mention that there were about four times this year that iPlayer stopped working with the message that it was only available in the UK - however each time, when I logged a trouble ticket with Surfshark, they gave me a fix within 24 hours.

I also wouldn't say that Surfshark speeds my internet connection up - but I still get perfectly acceptable performance with it on my Android tablet and Windows laptop when watching BBC iPlayer.

However on my Xiaomi Mi Box S which uses a different, Android TV-specific version of the Surfshark app, watching BBC iPlayer using Chrome is pretty slow (and there is no Android TV version of the iPlayer app) so I generally only use the tablet or laptop to watch BBC programmes on catch-up. If I want to watch live programmes I use TVPlayer from Alchimie UK* a free app that gives access to all FTA channels in the UK (requires a VPN to work).

*Note: There are other apps called TV Player (or similar) that do not give you the UK channels. It looks like this:
Attachments
IMG_20200826_113051.png
(62.86 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve been with ExpressVPN for 3 years and to date, on the odd occasion that access to the iPlayer has stopped, it’s also been resolved within 24 hours, so I’m assuming that the BBC have introduced new technology to identify those using a VPN - hopefully Surfshark will continue uninterrupted and likewise, ExpressVPN will come up with a solution
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

@ghw Try this which works for me.
1. In browser search Android iPlayer. This should provide the first result as link to iPlayer on Google play.
2. Tap on link. This will open iPlayer in Google play if your browser redirects to play as mine does.
3. Install.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ just noticed you have mi box s which is Android TV, so the above method to get iplayer probably won't work.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's one that seems to specialize in UK content.

https://www.ukexpatvpn.com
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:07 pm Here's one that seems to specialize in UK content.

Certainly sounds positive - anybody out there given these guys a try already?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:19 pm
PeteC wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:07 pm Here's one that seems to specialize in UK content.

Personally, I've not used it but would be interested to see any comments/result from those who have - as you say, sounds positive. I'm currently using "Cyber Ghost" which allows you to select specific countries, and I've had very few problems with them (corrected quickly) over the years.

As an aside, a couple of interesting articles: -

https://www.reviewsfire.com/vpn/bbc-ipl ... rking-vpn/

https://www.reviewsfire.com/vpn/rugbypa ... -fix-that/

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:30 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Personally, I've not used it but would be interested to see any comments/result from those who have - as you say, sounds positive. I'm currently using "Cyber Ghost" which allows you to select specific countries, and I've had very few problems with them (corrected quickly) over the years.

As an aside, a couple of interesting articles: -

https://www.reviewsfire.com/vpn/bbc-ipl ... rking-vpn/

https://www.reviewsfire.com/vpn/rugbypa ... -fix-that/

:cheers: :cheers:
Interestingly, both the articles you attached quote ExpressVPN as the best provider and is my current service provider, so whilst they were good, they are currently unable to bypass the BBC software that has detected that I and others are not in the UK. If they don’t come up with a solution soon then I will try This other provider and hope I don’t have to claim under their guarantee terms!! :cheers:
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Anyone know or/and have experience using a Vpn provider and Eset Internet security (Eset itself don't provide any Vpn option/subscription) ?

hahuahin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hahuahin wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:33 pm Anyone know or/and have experience using a Vpn provider and Eset Internet security (Eset itself don't provide any Vpn option/subscription) ?

hahuahin
What’s the main purpose for the VPN? I have been using Express VPN for a few years and up until a couple of months ago had no problems, however I then had difficulty connecting to the BBC iPlayer in the UK. They have managed to resolve it although it’s not as reliable as it used to be. Other than that I would recommend them if the BBC iPlayer isn’t an issue for you. No knowledge of Eset.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, they're two different things - though some internet security suites also provide VPN services so having two of them running at the same time will cause issues.

I would also recommend Express -don't use iPlayer much and can download pretty much 95% of what I want to watch on it. (Additionally, it has tripled the speed of my crapola TOT connection).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 pm
Hahuahin wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:33 pm Anyone know or/and have experience using a Vpn provider and Eset Internet security (Eset itself don't provide any Vpn option/subscription) ?

hahuahin
What’s the main purpose for the VPN? I have been using Express VPN for a few years and up until a couple of months ago had no problems, however I then had difficulty connecting to the BBC iPlayer in the UK. They have managed to resolve it although it’s not as reliable as it used to be. Other than that I would recommend them if the BBC iPlayer isn’t an issue for you. No knowledge of Eset.
I have always thought about it as a anonymous connection to another network and the possibility to access region-restricted websites, shield my browsing activity from prying eyes etc., Internet security on the other hand protect me from viruses etc., but then again I guess you can get that through an Vpn if its running 24/7 or as soon as the computer is started up but are there Vpn providers doing that?
hahuahin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not even close to being an expert, but I thought the two main purposes of a VPN were as you’ve mentioned, being able to access the internet in private and access geographical area that would otherwise be out of bounds. I also have internet security to hopefully protect my devices from getting virus’s etc.