The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Re: The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Post by PeteC »

Yamaha - YZF-R7

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... -the-track (Photos at link)

It has been two years since I rode the Yamaha YZF-R1 at the world-class Chang International Circuit in Buri Ram, and although it takes longer for me to get into a race suit these days, it's time to test ride the latest new model from Yamaha -- the YZF-R7.

Chang Circuit is Thailand's premier race track, with its signature high-speed bend, long straights and hard braking zones. No doubt riding the new YZF-R7 here is going to be fun.

Speculation has risen as to why Yamaha has decided to make a sports bike with just two cylinders. We are going to find out.

The YZF-R7 was designed in the US but production takes place in Japan. It comes with a 689cc liquid-cooled, inline 2-cylinder DOHC fuel-injected CP2 engine that delivers excellent power and performance throughout the rev range, delivering an exhilarating ride and a true super-sports experience. Its 270-degree crankshaft delivers linear torque for exciting acceleration and limited vibration. If you aren't familiar with the CP engine code, a simple way to understand it is that CP4 means an inline 4 engine such as those on the YZF-R1 and MT-10, while CP3 means an inline 3 engine such as on the MT-09 and XSR 900.

The YZF-R7 is fully imported from Japan with a new sporty setup. Highlights include a new chassis design, and 41mm forks up front in the right-angle super-sport class. The CP2 engine was previously run on a dyno machine in Thailand, and maxed out at 76hp compared to 73hp on the spec sheet.

The YZF-R7 comes from the sports-touring class, and I can confirm that it has the looks. It appears similar to the YZF-R1 and YZF-R6 especially at the front and rear. The cockpit design also offers the same riding environment -- but it comes without any electronic riding modes.

Well don't be surprised, because I agree with Yamaha. In a bike with a medium-sized engine like this, I would rather choose affordable pricing over unnecessary electronics. If this were a 1,000cc bike, I would probably be crying for four or five riding modes and traction control options. But in this case, it is fun learning how to control the bike by using the "man and machine" concept.

The YZF-R7 comes with an equipment level that I think is adequate. There's a slipper clutch and an option to install a quick shifter, which I would get (a less than 10,000 baht option). Despite not having any assistance, it gives you a chance to play with clutch and throttle when downshifting, and the slipper clutch is good enough for safety.

The YZF-R7 weighs in at 188kg -- it is indeed very slim and light, allowing you to push and park the bike easily, even on a slope. The seat has a narrow design but offers plenty of space as riders can comfortably move their bodies into position during cornering. The shape of the tank is newly designed and holds 13 litres, which is good for long-distance travelling. There are also "knee pockets", one each side of the tank, for better grip.

This YZF-R7 is good for long rides, but is also ready to jump on the track at any time. The only out-of-place element is the note of the CP2 engine, which is far from exciting compared to the sweet CP4. But I think I understand why it's this way. Imagine if you want to travel to Khao Yai with a racing exhaust system -- you would probably be told to go home because the national park would not let you enter. True, the YZF-R7 is made for both touring and track, so to trade off the beautiful sound from a racing exhaust system with a quieter system could make for a happier ride when you travel around.

The YZF-R7 comes with a pair of Bridgestone Batlax Hypersport S22 tyres and this is crucial. This is the top-of-the-range model with two compounds and three layers for the front, and three compounds and five layers for the rear. There should be plenty of cornering grip when riding fast on this bike.

Unfortunately, a rain storm in Buri Ram left us with no choice but to test ride this YZF-R7 on a wet track. I was able to complete only a couple of 15-minute sessions. The factory tyres gave me a bit of worry because this was my first time riding on a wet track. And I'm talking about serious amounts of rain.

Surprisingly, the sound of this CP2 engine with stock exhaust is not too bad when you hear it from inside your helmet, even though when you are watching your friend ride you may think the sound is too quiet. The CP2 engine is fun to rev, thanks to its serious torque output (unlike regular inline-two engines that are designed for comfort). Reaching 200kph without making much noise is actually quite interesting.

After a few laps the rain was gone, and riders were able to increase the pace. I'd have to say the YZF-R7 is easy to manoeuvre, especially when going through chicanes, and when it's time to shoot out of a corner it is quick!

While doing all this, my mind was now in the middle of a mountain road somewhere in the North of Thailand, thinking the advantage of the CP2 engine will be when I take it to a mountain with steep roads. That peak power at 6,500rpm should be good.

Back on track, I was enjoying the torque when it came to shifting up through the gears. And when it's time to decelerate quickly, the slipper clutch and suspension do an amazing job.

Verdict

If you love speed, aggressive looks, sporty riding position, touring and track days, the Yamaha YZF-R7 is your choice. It comes with affordable pricing for a fully-imported Japanese make, compared to the purely track-biased YZF-R6 or YZF-R1.

The all-new Yamaha YZF-R7 2022 is priced at 339,000 baht.

PROS -- Light weight, the YZF-R1 looks, slim body, price, accessories for track riding, Yamaha Riding Academy, Yamaha Racing Practice events.

CONS -- Gets blue faring instead of black, boring sound from 2-cylinder engine, quick shifter not included.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

An update from KTM Hua Hin - they have a lot more bikes for sale there now and apparently also have a Dyno for tuning which wasn't there when I took mine up a few months ago.

There will be a KTM test ride event in Prachuap this month from 12-14 but you should check their social media for details in case this changes.

Royal Enfield (which is next to KTM) also has regular test ride events.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'm gonna give a shameless plug to the Royal Enfield dealership and service center now.

Over the weekend a pal took his Kawasaki Versys into the Kwaka dealership in Hua Hin for an oil and filter change and was told it would take 5 hours. We rode back to Enfield/Ducati in Cha-am and they did it on the spot despite having several bikes in there.

I need new rubber for my Honda CBF and will order online as tires are substantially cheaper than buying through the showrooms. Honda BigWing Hua Hin price for tire fitting = 856 per rim (1,712 THB total). Enfield's price for fitting and balancing = 500 baht total.

Just because you have a certain make of bike doesn't mean you have to use their services!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I may as well be reading Greek with this one. Never heard of the manufacturer, and never heard of the type of bike. :shock:

Husqvarna - Vitpillen 401 and Svartpilen 401.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... out-racers (Photos ta link)

Husqvarna has launched two mid-size street models -- Vitpillen 401 and Svartpilen 401. The design is not new, but they are now officially available and recently launched at a new price.

The Café Racer Vitpillen 401 and The Scrambler Svartpilen 401 are both priced at 239,800 baht.

The iconic steel trellis frame holds a single-cylinder engine that everyone knows is one of the best from KTM's Duke 390. A focus on a fine riding position and new contour lines make these two models stand out from others.

Vitpillen means "white arrow" in Swedish. The Café Racer comes in only white colour, which has the same meaning as its name.

They both feature a 373cc "single" and deliver a good amount of torque with 44 hps at 9,000 rpm, six-gear transmission with a multi-disc slipper clutch, and a water cooling system. It also packs a "white power" suspension both at the front and rear and the seat height is 835 mm.

Husqvarna is focusing on a new direction and we are not sure of its success but this has been getting a lot of attention due to a unique design.

Meanwhile, Svartpilen means "black arrow". The Scrambler style comes in black and a pair of off-road tires.

Husqvarna or "husky" is originally a Swedish brand, established 117 years ago and known especially in Motocross and Enduro. Winning many titles on the world stage means there is a guarantee that when they move to street motorcycles, they will be a key player.

Being an Arrow, they should be fast. We will see after the Bangkok Post tests them in the near future.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ducati enters a new era

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... -a-new-era. (Photos at link)

The Ducati Monster is an iconic model that represents the racing DNA of the Italian brand. The previous design of the Monster had unique characteristics, with the L-Twin engine in a Trellis frame providing a feel full of torque and good vibrations.

I put 60,000km on my old Monster 696 before deciding to change to touring rather than road and track.

Today, the new Ducati Monster 937 has arrived with a new look. There has been some negative feedback about the new direction but there are some good things to look forward to.

Ducati may have the model number on their spec sheet but there is no 937 graphic on the bike. The new Monster is packed with great options and a powerful engine close to 1,000cc. And there is now only one Monster.

The new superbike is agile, has a sleek design, and is lightweight and compact. Its aluminium front frame helps keep the dry weight at just 166kg and Ducati promises customers the bike is easy to ride and handle while still being fast and fun.

Although the design is something you might hate because it doesn't fit Ducati's style, the bike does perform better. Also, Ducati believes in what they believe.

Let's look at the highlights of the New Monster 937, which weighs 18kg less than the previous model.

The engine, an L-Twin Desmodromic valve Testastretta, reduces the weight by 2.4kg. I have not tested it but a walk-around and engine start shows that the production quality is still top form. It is true that I don't like the look, but upon closer inspection, I've started to appreciate the new direction. The sound of the engine is still Ducati -- dry and rough. The new exhaust system also gives a little more aggressive style.

The double swingarm and aluminium alloy wheels also help reduce weight by 3.3kg, the monocoque frame further reduces it by 4.5kg, and the glass fibre reinforced polymer subframe helps get rid of another 1.9kg.

There are three riding modes -- Sport, Touring and Urban -- and each comes with a set of goodies to help riders. Moreover, there is cornering ABS, traction control, wheelie control and launch control (first time for the Monster). Lastly, the new Monster also offers a quickshifter.

The round-shaped full-LED headlight is modern and incorporates a daytime time running light system. The curved tank looks muscular, sculpted with a classic knee area that stretches towards the front wheel while the short tail was inspired by the Panigale V4.

The Ducati Monster has entered a new era and is trying to catch up by changing the design. It is up to you to accept it or not.

phpl7LuWhPM.jpg
phpl7LuWhPM.jpg (68.71 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Triumph unveiled its 2021 Street Scrambler edition a few months ago. The simple concept is rugged off-road attitude. The Street Scrambler has a rich and illustrious history that dates back to the early 1960s, after being stripped and modified by dirt racers. In comparison to the previous year's Street Scrambler, the 2021 model has several enhancements.

Photos, specs and up-country road trip performance at link: https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... mean-clean

4215603.jpg
(241.48 KiB) Downloaded 992 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not into bikes but if I was then this would be tempting and although it’s not a cheap bike at 469,000 Baht, that’s not a great deal more than the bike sells for in the UK!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

I had a test ride on the 1200cc version and its a beast - way too much power for me! Would prefer a baby 650, especially on these lunatic-filled roads!

IMG_20210421_175749.jpg
IMG_20210421_175749.jpg (257.83 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I missed this one earlier.

BMW's mighty R 18 gets a makeover

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... a-makeover (More photos at link)

4209195.jpg
(255.33 KiB) Downloaded 910 times
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:49 am I’m not into bikes but if I was then this would be tempting and although it’s not a cheap bike at 469,000 Baht, that’s not a great deal more than the bike sells for in the UK!!
Sad that it's made here, but sells in the UK for a wee bit cheaper, or even if same price.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Go off-road with KTM

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... d-with-ktm

KTM has announced its first Riders Academy training course in Asia with the aim of promoting off-road motorcycle riding to enhance driving skills and creating a new customer experience.

The KTM Riders Academy will offer training courses on off-road techniques in one-day and also continuous programmes. Suitable for beginners to advanced riders aiming to improve their skills even further, coaching will be provided during the programme on enduro motorcycles equipped with single-cylinder engines as well as multi-cylinder motorcycles designed for long-distance use.

The Academy was born from the idea of sharing the joy of this sport with as many people as possible. Amid the lush nature of Phuket, 14 trainers from six countries have completed theoretical and practical training under the KTM Master Trainers programme from Europe, with trainers coming from South Korea, Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Jordy Manzoni and Amione Dal Pozzo, both of whom hold an FIM License, will teach riders how to ride enduro and adventure bikes. The two of them embark on the task of developing advanced skills and rides to consumers who are interested in dirt bike riding without boundaries.

For those who are interested in attending the KTM Riders Academy programme and becoming a KTM owner, you can contact KTM Flagship showrooms as well as KTM motorcycle dealerships throughout the country to register.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is a KTM dealership in Cha-am (about 7km south of the town on Petchkasem - also has Ducati and Royal Enfield showrooms at the same place) if anyone is interested in this.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

TC Max is an electric cafe racer

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... cafe-racer

You might not be aware, but there were electric motorbikes on sale in Thailand a few years ago whose straight-line performance should not cloud judgement. Things have changed since then and the benchmark for what makes a great petrol bike doesn't quite line up with what makes a great electric one.

For the Super Soco TC Max, which received the Best Electric Motorbike title at the Move Electric Awards 2022 in partnership with OVO Energy, identifying where it performs best is fundamental.

If you're eyeing touring or have a massive commute, petrol still wins.

But in the right environment, the TC Max is a perfect choice. In 2021, Super Soco outsold major European and American brands and became the first totally electric brand to appear in the top 10 best-selling motorbike list in the United Kingdom.

Clean Vehicle Company (Thailand) is the country's distributor of Super Soco. Due to the benefits of lower import taxes and less international logistics costs, Super Soco's electric motorcycle plant in Thailand based in Nong Khai is key to this Australian-Chinese brand becoming one of the key players for electric motorcycles in the Thai market.

Most electric two-wheelers in the Thai market are scooters. The Super Soco TC (discontinued) and TC Max are the only naked bike café racer style that can be modified to scrambler or tracker styles, and now is the perfect time to introduce an improved performance model.

It is not breathtakingly beautiful, but it is far from being unattractive. If appearance is important to you and you're in the market for an electric motorcycle, your tastes may vary, but when compared to other competitors, the TC Max looks pretty good.

Mentioning upgraded features, it includes a massive 3,900W, 95kph capability, a range of 120km, and good suspension. Super Soco TC Max is the next electric motorcycle that Bangkok Post will put on the list for a test ride. It is available in three colours -- black and grey, black and red, and orange.
c1_2303442_220502090721.jpg
(152.87 KiB) Downloaded 775 times
php6KS19ZPM.jpg
php6KS19ZPM.jpg (29.43 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Nereus wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:14 pm TC Max is an electric cafe racerTC Max are the only naked bike café racer style that can be modified to scrambler or tracker styles, and now is the perfect time to introduce an improved performance model.

Mentioning upgraded features, it includes a massive 3,900W, 95kph capability, a range of 120km, and good suspension. Super Soco TC Max is the next electric motorcycle that Bangkok Post will put on the list for a test ride. It is available in three colours -- black and grey, black and red, and orange.
TBH ... not impressed at all, especially since specs quoted are for the upgraded version, and at a hefty price point, >฿150k during promo.
Lastly, can it be registered ? Don't know about the author's Thai knowledge, but definitely needs to get out more.

Not sure about that claim ... only, as you can modify anything.
One feature I like about it, is the removable battery, although, its only 72v/45Ah. Mine is 72v/50Ah, so 45 isn't much to brag about.

My 'standard' model rated @ 140-150 kms range, although, real life, 50/75 kms, highway / normal, knock around town @ <50kph. My top speed is rated @ 80-90, and I've had it at 87 kph, so that's accurate. So TC's specs don't impress at all. Top speed, probably accurate. Range is questionable in real life driving as are all EVs. I'd cut that, range in half, and if racing around, cut it a bit more.

Mine is 'scooter' style, non cafe (฿74k), top photo. Manufacturer does have a cafe style (฿66k), lower photo, but lower specs.

My scooter's specs:
Last edited by KhunLA on Mon May 02, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Here's another available, and looks quite nice, and caught my eye, while on display in mall at Krung Thep.
Low specs for the price, but looks nice & sporty.

I'm more of a 'spec shopper', looks & styling are usually secondary, plus I needed the front basket for the dog. Spec wise, 3000w & 72v/50Ah was best DECO offered. I could have dropped down to 2000w & 72v/30Ah, for ฿50k or ฿53k. Save ฿20+k and really more than anyone needs for knocking around town.