Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by charlesh »

If as statedin the link a kukri - NOT dangerous.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Here's a couple of "proper" snakes. Not the snively little things you find here: :shock:
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Huge mating pythons crash through ceiling as shocked couple watch on

https://au.news.yahoo.com/snake-breedin ... 46934.html

A Cairns couple received the shock of their lives when they looked up to find the ceiling flex and crack under the weight of two monster pythons in the throes of passion.

The amorous pair managed to slither their way into the roof cavity of a White Rock home to do the deed on Friday – to the horror of its occupants.

The weight of each amethystine python, also referred to as scrub pythons, is estimated about 20kgs each. Their size, combined with their rigorous activity, caused the ceiling to crash down underneath them and the lovers plummeted to the study below.

Matt Hagan and Jason Legg, of Cairns Snake Catcher, were called to the home, reporting that each of the serpents measured between four and five metres long.

“Extracting this dynamic duo was no easy feat and ultimately resulted in the ceiling giving way as these snakes made a particularly dramatic entry into the office!” the snake catchers wrote on Facebook on Sunday.

They shared pictures of the frisky pair, joking that snake breeding season was “off with a BANG”.
phpnW7EEmPM.jpg
phpnW7EEmPM.jpg (86.72 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And here's another one. Could easily happen here:
………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Shocking find in bird cage after 11 canaries disappear

https://au.news.yahoo.com/warning-snake ... 19775.html

A very hungry python was shamed for slithering into a Queensland bird aviary and having a feast on 11 canaries.

“Yes thats right, not 1...not 2...but 11 Canaries were eaten by this one Carpet Python during the night,” wrote Queensland snake catcher Stuart McKenzie on his Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 Facebook page on Friday night.

Mr McKenzie said he arrived to find the snake so full after his banquet that he could barely move.

“This is a warning to everyone who has pet birds or chickens or even guinea pigs. Please make sure that your pet’s enclosure is snake proof,” he urged.

“1cm by 1cm chicken wire needs to cover all sides to stop snakes getting in.

“Best to check your enclosures now before more and more snakes are on the move looking for an easy meal as the weather warms up!” Mr McKenzie warned.

Many commented on the post, saying snakes were known to make their bodies thin to squeeze through cages, but become stuck, unable to get out with a full belly.

“Poor canaries. They must have been so frightened,” one wrote.

Some defended the snake for its predatory behaviour.

“A snake has to eat unfortunately. I have had a few birds over the years become a snack even in a snake proof cage until they found a hole that a rat has made in the base wall of the aviary,” he wrote. “So guys also check these areas.”

Another recommended bird cages be fitted with snake and mouse mesh that can be bought in a large roll from retailers like Bunnings.

“It does rust after a couple years but you need to keep checking,” one wrote.
5153b540-b00b-11e9-9aff-eb274acf0583.jpg
5153b540-b00b-11e9-9aff-eb274acf0583.jpg (195.73 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Or the car:

'Large stick' on road wraps itself around car's wheel

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... cars-wheel

PATTAYA: A motorist who thought he drove over a big stick on a dark road was later shocked to find a large python tangled up in his front wheel.

Surasit Suwathana, 38, said he was driving along a local road near Soi Wat Boon Sampan 17 in tambon Nong Prue about 2.30am on Friday.

He saw what looked like a large wooden stick lying cross the road. He was afraid to stop and clear it out of the way because it was late at night and the road was dark and lonely.

So he decided to drive over it, and there was a big bump and the car shook as he did so.
Later he heard loud noises coming from the front of the car and had to stop and see what was the problem.

On investigating, he was stunned by the sight of a python lodged tightly behind the hub spokes of the right front wheel.

He called rescue workers for help. They decided the snake was dead, removed the wheel and pulled it out. The python was more than two metres long.

Passers-by who stopped to look quickly took photos of the car's licence plate, in the hope the numbers would win a lottery prize.
c1_1749249.jpg
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Four-metre king cobra wrestled from sewer in Krabi

Video of capture at link.............

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... r-in-krabi

A feisty four-metre king cobra was pulled from a sewer in the southern province of Krabi in an hour-long operation, a rescue foundation said Tuesday, describing the reptile as one of the largest they had ever captured.

Footage of the daring capture showed a man chasing the cobra -- the world's longest venomous snake -- into a dark and cramped drainage pipe.

The cobra splashed around in water and tried to slither back into the pipe, but was pulled out by the tail after multiple attempts.

A security guard on the housing estate where it was found first alerted the rescue group on Sunday.

"Seven rescue workers, including me, went there," said Kritkamon Kanghae, 26, adding that the estate was built on a plot that was once jungle.

Mr Kritkamon said the snake was more than four metres long, weighed 15 kilos, and was the third-largest they had found.

It was later released into the wild.

Thailand is teeming with reptiles, and several species of cobra are native to the country.

References to the deadly snake fill folklore.

The main international airport was built on an area that used to be called "Cobra's Swamp".

Snakes have increasingly become a headache for residents in Bangkok, where the fire department is sent out to respond to calls from alarmed residents.

Authorities are reluctant to get rid of the reptiles because they help to control a rat population that could otherwise threaten crops and food stocks.

King cobras, however, mainly feed on other snakes -- particularly the rat snake.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Four-metre king cobra wrestled from sewer in Krabi
Beat me to it, Pete!
c1_3368419.jpg
c1_3368419.jpg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Must be international snake day:
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Woman's frightening discovery inside her Cairns toilet

https://au.news.yahoo.com/snake-python- ... 41381.html

A Queensland woman stumbled out of bed on the weekend to make a terrifying discovery under her toilet seat.

Jana Engler has lived in Cairns for 11 years and is the owner of Jana’s Bakehouse, known around town for its artisan sourdough, but has found herself in the news for something other than her baking skills.

After moving from Germany more than a decade ago, she has only had a few encounters with snakes in Australia and certainly wasn’t prepared for what she found.
“Years and years ago, I had one in my house and I had another one outside, but that was over a year ago,” she told Yahoo News Australia.

While Ms Engler understands snakes like carpet pythons - commonly found by residents in Queensland - are somewhat friendly, she would never want to catch or touch one.

“I certainly don’t like them in my toilet,” she said.

Last Saturday Ms Engler woke up early to get ready for the markets, when she went to the toilet and turned on the light only to discover a snake eating a rat in her toilet bowl.

“I think I was just staring at the situation,” she recalled.

Ms Engler thinks she may have seen the same python about a week before it showed up feasting on an early morning meal in her dunny.

“We were over at a neighbour’s house and the dogs were going nuts in the garden and then we went outside and we saw it slithering over to my house and up a tree next to myself.”

Ms Engler’s six-year-old son had to be up early as he too was going to the markets. Although her son, TJ, isn’t too keen on touching snakes, he is “interested” in them. So Ms Engler took full advantage of the moment and quickly got the youngster out of bed to bear witness to the situation.

Ms Engler shut the door and trapped the snake in the bathroom before returning a few hours later with a snake catcher.

“I would not have opened the door again,” Ms Engler admits. “I don’t know where it would have been.”

But all that remained in the toilet bowl was a single dead rat.

“When he [the snake catcher] came, he went in there and he thought it might be under the rim, like where the water comes out,” Ms Engler recalled. “So he was heating up the toilet with a hair dryer and looking for it, but it had disappeared.”

Ms Engler explained that the only way the snake could have got out was by going down the drain, which is probably how it got in the toilet in the first place.

“We had a look at the plumbing and how it goes under the house from the toilet. There’s this little air pipe that goes up on to the top of the roof.

“It’s been really dry in Cairns, so the rats might have gone into the pipe to drink. And the snake might have picked them up and gone after them down that air pipe and they had nowhere else to go other than into the water and then up into the toilet bowl where they couldn’t get out.”
6b6e2700-ef1a-11e9-bf77-f634084f4d29.jpg
6b6e2700-ef1a-11e9-bf77-f634084f4d29.jpg (41.93 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Kids' close encounter with deadly snake that parents need to see

https://au.news.yahoo.com/eastern-brown ... 56005.html

A close encounter with a large venomous snake for two unsuspecting children is being used as a stark reminder to act appropriately around Australia’s native wildlife.

Seasoned snake catcher Barry Goldsmith shared a remarkable image of the kids skipping along a dirt track in Eskdale on the Mitta Mitta river in Victoria’s northeast on Monday.

Unbeknown to them, an eastern brown snake lies just inches from their feet as they edge past.

Mr Goldsmith was sent the image by the children’s grandfather and wanted to use it as the perfect opportunity to explain how to handle snake encounters as sightings continue to rise moving closer to summer.

Taken by the children’s mother, she only noticed the snake while looking back at the photos of their outing.
Mr Goldsmith, who runs Snake Catcher Victoria Australia, told Yahoo News Australia it is essential people treat the reptiles with respect.

“They’re not aggressive and they’re not out to hurt us,” he said.
“Of course some people are terrified by snakes and I’m not asking you to love the snake.
“But you don’t need to kill it... just respect it.”

Mr Goldsmith said the picture perfectly highlights how snakes won’t attack or chase people if they’re not antagonised.
“He wasn’t surprised by them and pulled back and got out of the kids way,” he pointed out.

He explained the snake wouldn’t have seen the children as a threat as he observed them continue in their path.

‘Snakes don’t attack people’

He also noted there needs to be a shift in attitudes to snakes to ensure people don’t fear the reptiles.
“We all live in Australia after all. Any given time we never more than a kilometre from a snake,” Mr Goldsmith said.
“First thing to do is stop, look at the snake and appreciate it for the special Australian wildlife it is... even take a photo of it if you want.”

He said snakes aren’t going to attack or chase people on their own accord – a statement he refers to as fact after never experiencing such behaviour handling over 10,000 snakes.

For Mr Goldsmith it is vital children are educated on how to behave when encountering snakes and the responsibility lies with their parents.

“If the kids see people killing snakes, they’ll want to do the same,” he said.

The warning comes at a time snake sightings are becoming common across the country, and even in built up urban areas, according to Mr Goldsmith.
8f1c6ac0-eee0-11e9-b7eb-39fda0a1316a.jpg
Matty
Novice
Novice

Post by Matty »

I looked at buying a 5 acre property here in Perth Australia a few years ago that was on a bush block , so snakes would have been present. A bit of research brought up some electronic device,s that were spread out acting as a barrier and from memory sent vibration like signals out through the ground keeping the snakes out. Id have to see it work to believe it but the slimy buggers are pretty dangerous down here so I think the manufacturers of the device will be on to a winner.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

What do you do with those hoop snakes that roll down the streets in Queensland?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:24 pm What do you do with those hoop snakes that roll down the streets in Queensland?
We stretch a kangaroo skin over them and make them into a drum.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Nereus wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:55 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:24 pm What do you do with those hoop snakes that roll down the streets in Queensland?
We stretch a kangaroo skin over them and make them into a drum.
A sound idea, bound to be a big hit.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Here is one little kid that I guarantee will not grow up liking snakes:
...……………...…………………...…………………………………………………………………...………
'Punched it in the head': Boy, 4, snatched by huge python at family home

https://au.news.yahoo.com/airlie-beach- ... 26775.html

A father’s parental instincts kicked in just in time when a massive python latched onto his son and tried to pull him into the bushes.

Evan Thompson explained he was with his family and friends at their new home in Airlie Beach by the pool about to head inside when he heard screaming.

A scrub python had latched on to his four-year-old son Clifford’s leg and was pulling him into the bush, 7 News reported.

“At that stage, he was holding onto the side of the boardwalk and it was just pulling him into the bush,” Mr Thompson said.
“I knew I had to do something so I ran straight up and punched it straight in the head.”

After punching it in the head, the snake released Clifford but only momentarily as it then struck the boy again in the leg.

Knowing he had to try something else, Mr Thompson grabbed the snake by the jaw and bent it back with as much force as he could.

The snake’s head “popped off”, according to Mr Thompson and Clifford was able to run.

However, the snake kept trying to get Clifford along the boardwalk.

“I had to run around, grab it on the tail and just pull this thing away from Clifford as it was constantly trying to get back at him,” Mr Thompson said, explaining it was then he called out for help.

One of Mr Thompson’s friends rushed to his aid and killed the snake.

Mr Thompson estimates the snake to be about five metres long and says he has never come across a snake that aggressive.

Clifford is recovering from deep lacerations on his leg in Mackay hospital, according to 7News.

When snakes attack

Even if you are pretty sure you were bitten by a non-venomous snake, it is still best to treat the bite as a ‘medical emergency’, according to Health Direct.

Health Direct recommends calling an ambulance and applying pressure to the wound.

This latest incident involving little Clifford follows a similar attack on a snake catcher.
In October last year an experienced snake catcher was almost strangled to death by a python in Queensland.

“When I grabbed the snake out of the tree it landed around my neck [and] before I could unwind the snake from my neck it tightened around my neck and face,” Sue Ambler, a snake catcher from Mission Beach, said at the time.

The client who called her about the snake witnessed the horrific scene and rang an ambulance after she had passed out.
“Even though pythons are non-venomous they are dangerous too so please don’t handle snakes by yourself,” she wrote on Facebook after the attack, recommending people call a snake catcher.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Snakes can be scary, but snakes find people scary too - it's very rare for any snake anywhere to strike a human unless it feels threatened. The biggest risk comes from accidental encounters, but most snakes in Thailand make themselves scarce as soon as they feel the vibration of footsteps. There are some 'relaxed' species who are unafraid of people, but in Thailand they mostly seem to be rated as low risk in terms of venom and aggressiveness.

The biggest hazard is probably to cyclists, who can easily outrun a snake in terms in speed, and put the creature in a threatening situation, but without the steel body of a car to put a barrier between human and snake..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes and no there.

I almost stepped on a cobra whilst playing golf one time. I was one pace away. It reared up and hissed rather loudly but didn't strike. So, a friendly cobra that gave me a chance to back away with my life and limbs.

However, the pit vipers we get here and are prevalent throughout Asia are nasty. They'll just strike for pretty much no reason at all. Although their venom isn't as strong as a cobra or krait, they're still deadly and their bad temper is the reason why they're responsible for far more deaths in Asia than any other snake species.

Beware of those. Don't go disturbing piles of leaves etc in the country!!