Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by HHTel »

A puzzled young man, a monster, looking like a great-grandchild, with 4 legs but a long tail resembling a snake, chasing away and fighting people.
Great description!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It wasn't until one Facebook user revealed that the animal was a squamata snake with a variety of names including the squamata, the long-tailed lizard, the six-striped long-tailed lizard, and the Asian grass-lizard, among others, as well as the Squamata-ranked reptiles, as well as snakes and lizards.

The rattlesnake is generally similar to a lizard, but has overlapping scales. It is a rare animal, very agile, catches insects in mid-air, and has the ability to camouflage, which is innocuous and poses no threat to humans by simply eating small insects for food.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Aussie boy bitten, dragged into pool by huge python at home

https://au.news.yahoo.com/aussie-boy-bi ... 04419.html

A dad has recalled how a three-metre python lunged at his five-year-old son before dragging him into the family’s swimming pool.

Ben Black believes the reptile was “lurking” in the garden of the Byron Bay home on Thursday, just “waiting for a victim to come along". But instead of a bird, the snake sunk its teeth into little Beau.

“He [Beau] was swimming with his brother yesterday and just out of the blue a three-metre python decided to wrap his mouth around his ankle and they both rolled into the pool,” Mr Black told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

"It was instant. I saw a big black shadow come out of the bush and before they hit the bottom it was completely wrapped around his leg and my father, who is 76, jumped into the pool.”

Before Mr Black even had a chance to contemplate getting into the water, his dad was passing up Beau, with the python still attached.

Within 20 seconds, he had “separated the two”, releasing the snake from his son’s leg.

Describing the incident as “somewhat of an ordeal", Mr Black says his son has bounced back quickly.

“He’s an absolute trooper,” the dad said. “Once we cleaned up the blood and told him he wasn’t going to die because it wasn’t a poisonous snake, he was pretty good.”

With the wound still fresh, Beau has been kept off school this week to prevent any chance of infection and to keep the cut clean.

Meanwhile the python, who Mr Black says he held on to for 10 minutes while he tried to calm down both of his sons, father and father’s partner, has been released back into the wild.

He added that while snakes were common around his home on the NSW north coast, a big python hiding in the bushes isn’t a frequent occurrence.

Ben Black dad says the python launched at his five-year-old son before they both rolled into the swimming pool. Source: 3AW
Ben Black dad says the python launched at his five-year-old son before they both rolled into the swimming pool. Source: 3AW
snake.jpg (127.43 KiB) Viewed 24386 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What a quick thinking granddad - well done that man.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Incredible find in blocked pipe of Queensland home: 'Surprised'

https://au.news.yahoo.com/incredible-fi ... 04053.html

An Aussie man has made an incredible discovery while investigating the cause of his home’s blocked drain pipe.

A couple of weeks ago, the man noticed water was overflowing from the roof of his property in Pallara, a suburb of Brisbane, and went to check on the gutter. However, he was stunned when he realised the usual culprit — a pile of rotting leaves — was not to blame.

“He noticed a couple of scales hanging out the pipe…so he knew it was a non venomous Coastal Carpet Python,” Bryce Lockett from Snake Catchers Brisbane and Gold Coast told Yahoo News Australia on Saturday.

Although the resident was aware a python was causing the blockage, he wasn’t expecting how large it was, the 27-year-old long-time snake catcher said. “He was extremely surprised a large 2.5 metre python could fit in such a small space,” he explained.

Footage of Mr Lockett separating the pipe to reveal the massive python coiled tightly inside has since gone viral on TikTok, where it has been viewed almost one million times. In the video, the snake’s incredible size is on full display as it unravels from its hiding spot.

“Just remember in Queensland a blocked down pipe isn’t always from leaves,” Mr Lockett captioned the clip, which has attracted hundreds of comments from shocked viewers.

The Coastal Carpet Python has since been safely relocated to nearby bushland. Source: TikTok/@BryceGrylls
The Coastal Carpet Python has since been safely relocated to nearby bushland. Source: TikTok/@BryceGrylls
snake.jpg (157.79 KiB) Viewed 24195 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Free riding snake. It obviously did not want to go that way, going on the way it keeps shaking its head!

Snake slithers out of car bonnet during family road trip on Pacific Highway, NSW

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-06/ ... /101736950

Kerry Jenkins and her family were driving home from their holiday at Darlington Beach, north of Coffs Harbour, when a snake popped into view and slithered onto their car bonnet, taking the family by surprise.

video at link..................................
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We had our first visitor for a while today. He was munching on his breakfast - one of our many frogs. I didn't want to disturb him, so did n't too close. I'm 99% sure it's a baby Banded Kukri, but didn't go too close to make a positive identity. Whatever, he's welcome at our house. He should be safe enough now that our Rottweiler has passed.

IMG_4768.jpg
IMG_4768.jpg (133.97 KiB) Viewed 24049 times
IMG_4769.jpg
IMG_4769.jpg (91.04 KiB) Viewed 24049 times
IMG_4770.jpg
IMG_4770.jpg (84.15 KiB) Viewed 24049 times
IMG_4771.jpg
IMG_4771.jpg (170.71 KiB) Viewed 24049 times

Points 48; Position 20
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

First power outage of the season
a 1.2 metre green tree snake,
tripped one of the 3 fuses up at about 10 metres high
where might i be able to find one of those snake nets that are quite common, apparently.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Sorry, thought I had added a picture but did not work :oops: . Do I just copy and paste? how do I do it? Clicked on insert image but that did not work also.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When posting, click attachments followed by add files.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

But you have to keep the file size relatively small (can’t remember exactly, but normal phone images are too big).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

bigston wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:48 pm First power outage of the season
a 1.2 metre green tree snake,
tripped one of the 3 fuses up at about 10 metres high
where might i be able to find one of those snake nets that are quite common, apparently.
Take a couple of bottles of beer with you and drive around a bit until you find one of those yellow PEA construction trucks, swap the bottles for what you need. :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:52 pm But you have to keep the file size relatively small (can’t remember exactly, but normal phone images are too big).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Under 500Kb

Points 48; Position 20
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

OK, here goes again. Not in my back garden or house but hope this is accepted. If you can see this clearly, I was surprised by this one swimming across a lake I was bird watching at this morning. It was about 20-30m away, photo taken with my DSLR camera with a zoom. Think it is a cobra but can someone confirm, length about 2m, not seen one in wild for years, certainly not swimming anyway. Concerned me a bit as it headed for where my bicycle which was parked on a path that was my only way out. Left it for about 20 mins before I went to my bike. :mrgreen: GN
Attachments
Cobra - Copy.jpg
(281.27 KiB) Downloaded 21805 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It looks like a harmless Oriental Rat Snake to me.

Points 48; Position 20