Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by PET »

KhunLA wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:17 pm Damn ... another Malay Viper at the house/garden. 3rd one in 2 months 🥵
Malayan Pit Viper in the house is very rare I think - picture please as it is reported the most dangerous snake in Thailand
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

PET wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:49 pm
KhunLA wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:17 pm Damn ... another Malay Viper at the house/garden. 3rd one in 2 months 🥵
Malayan Pit Viper in the house is very rare I think - picture please as it is reported the most dangerous snake in Thailand
In the garden, not house. 2nd one found just outside the perimeter wall, 1 was inside. The garden is actually a parcel of land, across soi, opposite the house.

No photo, but I know what it was. Hopefully the last :cheers:
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Anyone know what this is? Harmless? Or not?

rsz_img_1208.jpg
rsz_img_1208.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 24000 times
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Golden tree snake also called flying snake
Harmless
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

joelle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:40 am Golden tree snake also called flying snake Harmless
It is just out looking for a drink to celebrate St, Patricks day.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Nereus wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:44 am
joelle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:40 am Golden tree snake also called flying snake Harmless
It is just out looking for a drink to celebrate St, Patricks day.
:laugh: :cheers: :thumb:
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Ralfredo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:40 am Anyone know what this is? Harmless? Or not?

rsz_img_1208.jpg
Door/gate handle, starting so show so rust. Might want to tend to that. Lock clasp could use a little touch up also.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I am surprised that this does not happen more often in Thailand, or maybe it does and is not reported:
........................................................................................................................
Warning after deadly snake found in common hiding spot

https://au.news.yahoo.com/warning-after ... 37018.html

A NSW woman has shared the shocking moment she came face-to-face with a deadly snake while getting ready to leave her home.

The woman shared photos of the "surprising" find in her running shoe in the Central Coast suburb of Jilliby, asking for the snake to be identified.

"I bent down to pick up my shoes and was surprised by this fella," she said on Monday in the Snake Identification Australia group.

"We had a red belly in the same spot (front door step) last week. Perhaps he didn’t go? The weather has been cooler so I was quite surprised to see this one fairly active. They did choose the black shoes!"

After their interaction, the sneaky creature — most likely seeking a warm hideaway —"slithered away".

"Pretty sure I’m going to be seeing him some more," the woman joked.
A woman found a deadly red-bellied black snake in her running shoe left outside as she was about to put it on. Source: Facebook/Snake Identification Australia
A woman found a deadly red-bellied black snake in her running shoe left outside as she was about to put it on. Source: Facebook/Snake Identification Australia
snake in shoes.jpg (238.15 KiB) Viewed 23844 times
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Well, I expect better from our Antipodean friends. :duck: We always leave the shoes outside upside down and tilted against a wall, then in the morning I bang them with a mozi zapper to kill as many mozis as possible. Although did have small toad in one once which I found after putting my foot in the shoe, thought someone had shat in my trainer, lucky I didn't kill it, but may have become snake food later, but also lucky it was not a cobra or something, learnt a lesson from that lucky toad. :mrgreen: GN.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

What's the problem? We were just playing!

Horrified Aussie catches pet dogs playing ‘tug-of-war’ with deadly snake

https://au.news.yahoo.com/horrified-aus ... 51239.html

When an Aussie pet owner came home from work, she was warmed to see that her two Labradors were so busy in the backyard playing tug-of-war that they didn’t even acknowledge her.

But that happiness quickly turned to horror when she discovered that the ‘rope’ she thought they were playing with was in fact a tiger snake - one of Australia’s most venomous natives. Jo, from Busselton, WA, shared her horrific experience as a stark warning to pet owners.

“When I came around the back they usually hear me and are there to greet me,” she told Yahoo News Australia. “But they were having a great time playing tug of war. I thought ‘that’s a skinny rope’ and I went over to them and instantly saw it wasn’t a rope, but a tiger snake.”

Jo frantically shouted at the dogs to drop the metre-long reptile before taking the pets inside. While the snake was dead, Jo raced the dogs to the vet, assuming that at least one of the two dogs had been bitten during their ‘game’.

She snapped a picture of the snake in the garden in case the pets required a dose of anti-venom. Remarkably, the dogs were given the all-clear.

While Baxter and Murphy had a lucky escape, Jo wants to share her experience as a warning to other pet owners. “Anything to prevent an accident happening,” she said “Luckily ours was a happy ending.”
One Australia was horrified to find her two pet Labradors playing with a snake. Source: Facebook
One Australia was horrified to find her two pet Labradors playing with a snake. Source: Facebook
snake dogs.jpg (174.6 KiB) Viewed 23569 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Special delivery post:

Very Aussie sign warns postie about 'special' mailbox intruder

https://au.news.yahoo.com/very-aussie-s ... 18576.html

An Aussie family has sent a warning to posties to watch out for a new resident hiding in their mailbox. Sharing a photo and video to Facebook, the mother-of-two revealed exactly who had moved in.

In the image, a sign can be seen hanging off the letterbox on a rural property, with the body of a long reptile hanging out. "Snake hibernating inside," the note reads. "Please put mail on top under the rock! Thanks."

"Just thought I'd share our good old mate," the woman explained in the caption. "He is always around."

Social media users hailed the sight as something that would happen "only in Australia". "This is the sort of mail I would prefer," one user responded, while another described the surprise guest as "beautiful and special". "Gorgeous, love that he's got a little safe spot for a snooze," commented someone else.

A snake catcher identified the surprise guest as a carpet python. Source: Facebook (Facebook)
A snake catcher identified the surprise guest as a carpet python. Source: Facebook (Facebook)
letterbox snake.jpg (122.24 KiB) Viewed 23564 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Snake Uber:

Woman's hilarious reaction to deadly find in ute: 'Please don’t do that'

https://au.news.yahoo.com/womans-hilari ... 22953.html

A woman has recalled the moment she “had a bit of a heart attack” when a highly venomous deadly eastern brown snake suddenly appeared in her ute.

She said she was driving through a paddock in Diglum, Queensland, this week when all of a sudden she saw the reptile “with [her] next to the gear stick”. “Please get out, please,” she can be heard pleading with the snake in a video as it pokes its head out of the driver’s side door.

Keeping a distance, the woman walks to the side of her ute, showing the eastern brown slithering on the car floor before turning around and heading over to the passenger’s side. “Don’t go back in there,” she urges the reptile. “Please, please, please don’t do that. Where are you going? Please don’t go up in there you f***er.”
The Queenslander said she was driving through her paddock when she saw the eastern brown snake next to her gear stick. Source: Facebook
The Queenslander said she was driving through her paddock when she saw the eastern brown snake next to her gear stick. Source: Facebook
snake.jpg (113.73 KiB) Viewed 23491 times
Snake crawled in through open window

In an attempt to identify her hitchhiker, the Queenslander posted the clip and images of the large snake on the grass. “ID on this fella? Assuming eastern brown?” she asked a Facebook page dedicated to snakes.

“Yes it’s an eastern brown snake, capable of causing a dangerously venomous bite,” a group expert confirmed. Others commented that the woman must have had the fastest “stop and exit ever”. “Brown snake, brown seat,” someone else joked.

When asked if she keeps her car windows down, the woman said she was fencing on her property last week and “the ute was parked in the paddock for the day with the windows down”. “Assuming that’s when he got in. Poor bugger would’ve been locked in there over the weekend,” she said.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Snake wants to give his opinion: (and will probably make more sense than the talking heads!)
...................................................................................................
Viewers stunned as huge snake drops in on podcast: 'Can't get more Australian'

https://au.news.yahoo.com/viewers-stunn ... 02309.html

video at the link.......................................

Updated Sun, 10 December 2023 at 6:45 am AWST·3-min read

In an incident straight from the Only In Australia files, a huge snake has literally dropped in on a podcast — and it was all caught on camera. In the now-viral video, two hosts were interviewing a guest, who was dialling in from the verandah of his home on the NSW Central Coast.

"So we were co-ordinating this big podcast from the office and we were interviewing this guy, Andrew," Mala Webber from Sydney consultancy firm The Strategy Group told Yahoo News Australia. "And the snake just dropped down while he was talking about greenwashing."

While the hosts could hardly believe their eyes, Andrew remained intent on continuing with their conversation about environmental data and technology. "It was quite unexpected, although they were discussing environments, and Andrew was very chilled. I guess he's used to living there," Mala said.

The vision flips back to Andrew, still seated outside. "It's only a carpet python, don't worry," he says, laughing, as he flicks his head backwards to glance at the snake. "We call him a rodent control officer. I don't have a name for it because snakes can't hear you anyway. So yeah, the snake's far more interesting, what was I saying?"
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

IMG_20231227_133059.jpg
(431.74 KiB) Downloaded 19760 times
ID anyone please?

Currently right outside my back door fighting a gecko.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Pagey wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:37 pm IMG_20231227_133059.jpgID anyone please?

Currently right outside my back door fighting a gecko.
Golden Tree Snake having lunch, harmless to human but not to geckos! Chrysopea Ornata. Rear fanged and shy. Non venomous to human. Great to have around.