Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by ahandpatsy »

PeteC wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:57 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:53 pm Even the latest iPhone 13 is made in China - I can’t see anybody dumping a new £1000 phone!!
Come on. Apple or any other non-Chinese entity who may manufacture products there would be sure no nefarious electronics or spyware is present as it comes out the door. :cheers:
I have managed mobile phone making facilities in China (Nokia and sub contract Haier) and there is no way anybody could add spyware etc at the factory. Its just too complex and the testing too rigorous. Now if the original designer/manufacturer wanted to build something into the software that's different.
buksida

Post by buksida »

All manufacturers, Chinese or otherwise, install their own software which effectively spies on the user and mines data. The only way around this is to root the phone and install a clean version of the OS (Android only, Apple users are stuck with what Apple dictates to them).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Unless there is a huge conspiracy going on, you can opt out of everything on an Apple phone under privacy settings. Nothing about usage, analytics, location etc., is transmitted. I assume it's the same on an Android device.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is the option, but at the end of the day, you have no idea what Apple and Google are doing in the background.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Well, of course I cannot document this, but I'm nearly 100% sure that by just having a mobile phone and switching it on, anyone with the right resources can find you and also find out what you are using it for ( NSA, CIA, Stellarwind, Echelon, Prism etc etc etc).

YNWA

YNWA
buksida

Post by buksida »

Phone prices set to rise in H2
A 3-5% rise in smartphone prices is likely in the second half this year because of the baht's depreciation and a supply shortage, though the market is projected to see double-digit growth this year, says IDC Thailand, a local unit of the global research firm.

"The weaker baht and increased costs due to supply shortages and higher logistics costs mean vendors may increase prices for smartphones by 3-5% in the second half," said Teerit Paowan, client devices market analyst of IDC Thailand.

The local smartphone market typically has subdued sales in the third quarter, further exacerbated by a surge of the pandemic, he said.

However, shipments are expected to pick up from now to the end of this year due to the easing of the lockdown and year-end promotional campaigns.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... rise-in-h2
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:58 am Phone prices set to rise in H2
A 3-5% rise in smartphone prices is likely in the second half this year because of the baht's depreciation and a supply shortage, though the market is projected to see double-digit growth this year, says IDC Thailand, a local unit of the global research firm.

"The weaker baht and increased costs due to supply shortages and higher logistics costs mean vendors may increase prices for smartphones by 3-5% in the second half," said Teerit Paowan, client devices market analyst of IDC Thailand.

The local smartphone market typically has subdued sales in the third quarter, further exacerbated by a surge of the pandemic, he said.

However, shipments are expected to pick up from now to the end of this year due to the easing of the lockdown and year-end promotional campaigns.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... rise-in-h2

This whole statement, from beginning to end, is a mixed message.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The rest of the article can be found on the Bangkok Post link.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

OK, so Lomu is going to be dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming by buying a smart phone.

Any suggestions for something about 8-10K THB?
buksida

Post by buksida »

This beastie has served me well since I bought it in March. The Pro version has a better CPU, battery life superb as is the camera.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/poco- ... 41941.html

Be careful with Lazada though, there is a lot of fake shit on there.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Cheers. Anything good enough for buks is more than good enough for me. I won't buy off Lazada. I'll get from MV probably - depending on stock.

Can't be bothered dithering about on this issue. There's already enough uncertainty in my mind about other stuff regarding the forthcoming trip to the UK.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I'm using a Samsung A7, not in production any more, but a value for money one is the Samsung A12, around the 5,000 baht mark. Just bought one two weeks ago for a friend, it does the job and Samsung is readily available. The more expensive models have too many bells and whistles and are the size of a dinner plate.
Lazada does have some tempting offers, like a shop trying to clear stock of the S10 for the same price, but does not come with warranty.
I tend to avoid the Chinese brands like the one Buksi is using as they use a version of Android more suited for the Chinese market, many apps on the Play Store are not compatible.
YMMV.
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

VincentD wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:56 pm I tend to avoid the Chinese brands like the one Buksi is using as they use a version of Android more suited for the Chinese market, many apps on the Play Store are not compatible.
You can uninstall the crap and use a VPN to avoid app store issues to get around that. That said, I do prefer the Samsung flavour of Android - this device had much better hardware for a much better price than the equivalent Samsung.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Or you could try the A22 for 2,000 baht more, but I personally don't think the slightly better specs are worth the difference. Similar size, same rear camera, same battery performance, but can do dual band wifi, has amoled screen and a better selfie camera.
วินเชนท์
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

lomuamart wrote:Cheers. Anything good enough for buks is more than good enough for me. I won't buy off Lazada. I'll get from MV probably - depending on stock.

Can't be bothered dithering about on this issue. There's already enough uncertainty in my mind about other stuff regarding the forthcoming trip to the UK.
I got mine (same phone) 1 yr ago from JD Central online

I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, they were really good over a small issue with charging cable

Or you could try Banana in MV

Good luck

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk