Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by thecolonel »

sateeb wrote:By no means am I a mobile techie but recently been really getting pissed off at my Samsung A10, so this morning off I trot to Banana IT and walk out with a Xiaomi Mi10 5G 8GB Ram 128GB Rom at 10 baht shy of 13,000. All data transferred from my old phone and a whole heap of freebies, inc. robot floor vacuum cleaner( a godsend because of 2 mega hair shedding mutts), Mi Smart Speaker which does all sorts of shit once I master it.

All in all a satisfactory day.
Sorry but I'm a xiaomi anorak and I'm curious

Please clarify exact model that your phone is

Mi 10 5g? Not lite, not a10i, not a 10T??

Thanks

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

10 T according to the box.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Found my first problem with the Xiaomi (which has otherwise been great).

It doesn't support WiFi Direct. This is an Android feature that allows fast file transfer between phones that have it enabled.

The Xiaomi MIUI has it but in a very Applesque move, it forces you to use its own sharing app - which doesn't work unless the recipient phone has the same app (ie. another Xiaomi). :banghead:

I hate tech companies. :guns:

If any Xiaomi users know how to get Wifi Direct working without having to install any other apps on either device I'd be grateful. (Yes, I've Googled it so don't bother pasting links here, they don't work as Xiaomi does not provide WiFi Direct as an option when trying to send a file or folder to another phone).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Assuming non-xiaomi device how would you use wifi direct? With a standard file manager or other app?

I don't really understand your question because I've never used WiFi direct directly. Normally I would use Bluetooth or another file sharing app from play store or xiaomi's own app, or ftp for large numbers of files.

Or Google's Nearby Share.

My Redmi phone allows me to connect with other devices using Wi-Fi Direct, but I've never seen the need to use it.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Any Android device (aside from Xiaomi it seems) should be able to send large files to each other directly over wifi without the need to install third-party sharing apps.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... fi-direct/

For what I want to send, it will be quicker to send a raven than use sloetooth, and FTP is too complicated for the recipient, Xiaomi's share app only works with other Xiaomis, and there is no option to select WiFi Direct from the file manager.

The way around it is to plug the devices into my laptop, or bounce the files through google drive - but tech is supposed to make things easier eh?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Buksida : Doesn't your Xiaomi have the 'Share Me' feature?

On my older Redmi 6 in File manager I click the three dashes in the top left corner and an option of 'transfer files' shows then it uses Share Me to transfer to other phones.

https://www.guidingtech.com/use-xiaomi- ... s-android/

Edit :
This guide says it will share to other phones, not only Xiaomi.

2nd Edit, Just seen a caveat that says receiver phone must have Share me installed but can install on phones other than Xiaomi
Last edited by Pagey on Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
buksida

Post by buksida »

It does, but the target phone is not Xiaomi and doesn't have the same app. The QR code thing didn't work when I tried it ... but I will experiment more.

If the bastard supported WiFi Direct, all would be quick and easy! :banghead:

Edit: yeah, my point exactly, it wants other phones to use its non-standard app rather than the built in standard Android function that works perfectly well. Its very 'Apple'.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:It does, but the target phone is not Xiaomi and doesn't have the same app. The QR code thing didn't work when I tried it ... but I will experiment more.

If the bastard supported WiFi Direct, all would be quick and easy! :banghead:

Edit: yeah, my point exactly, it wants other phones to use its non-standard app rather than the built in standard Android function that works perfectly well. Its very 'Apple'.
I'd blame whoever recommended the "bastard" phone in the first place! Image

buksida

Post by buksida »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 pm I'd blame whoever recommended the "bastard" phone in the first place! Image
In all seriousness, I'm impressed with the bastard overall. :thumb:

But just hate it when tech companies force you to use their own non-standard software and run about in circles when there is a perfectly good standard application that does the job.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 pm I'd blame whoever recommended the "bastard" phone in the first place! Image
In all seriousness, I'm impressed with the bastard overall. :thumb:

But just hate it when tech companies force you to use their own non-standard software and run about in circles when there is a perfectly good standard application that does the job.
Yes, xiaomi have tried to pump their sh*t as well but equally left it open to the user to explore other platforms

Maybe they getting too big for their boots now?

KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Xiaomi fan also, but don't use any of their apps. Came with G-Drive, so use that for transfer of anything. We've had a few of Xiaomi phones, wife, kid, mine is POCO (Xiaomi) branded, and excellent.

Use a lot of their products, Air Purifier even their Drone in the past.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

You don't have to use their app. There are plenty of others available. It doesn't take long to download an app to use in a one-off transfer with another device. You can uninstall when finished. Saves messing with WiFi Direct as well.

In newer Android versions there's even a Google app - Nearby Share - which will be included in the list when you select share.

Xiaomi phones also include WiFi Direct. My phone is on MIUI 12 and WiFi Direct is available. I tried a simple test with it (after my earlier post above) and it worked. That was with a tablet running Android 5.
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:45 pm Xiaomi phones also include WiFi Direct. My phone is on MIUI 12 and WiFi Direct is available. I tried a simple test with it (after my earlier post above) and it worked. That was with a tablet running Android 5.
I don't want to download other third-party apps - that is the whole point of using what Android already provides which is simple and doesn't involve "messing" with other apps.

How do you select WiFi Direct as a sharing option from the file manager to send a large folder to another connected phone then? It's not available as a sharing option on mine (MIUI 12 on POCO X3).

I may be having a senior moment, but I messed around with it for an hour and could not get it to send files to a Vivo phone via WiFi Direct (yes, I know it has it and it was enabled - it just doesn't appear to be a send option from the file manager). I'll try the Google Nearby Share - that seems to be able to do the same thing.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I'm afraid I have to admit I haven't been able to repeat my earlier success. After pairing WiFi Direct it cuts back to main WiFi network when I try to do anything.

I did however find Nearby Share works. Just need to have Bluetooth and location turned on in both devices. Can't send a folder as such but can send multiple selected files. Have you tried it?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

In the past I always understood that wifi direct needed an app to be able to send files so I've always used apps such as ShareIt (or whatever).