Hua Hin Songthaew, Motorcycle taxi and Tuk Tuk Service

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: New Hua Hin Songthaew Service

Post by thecolonel »

lomuamart wrote:You should have paid 20 THB.
It's two journeys. One along the way from Takieb to the night market crossroads and a second from there to the airport and back. Both journeys are 10 THB each despite the fact that you stay on the same songthaew when traveling north.
Fyi.... my physios(3 Thai ladies) on Soi 102 are adamant I should have paid 10baht for that trip

They reckon the guy wanted 20 because I farang!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote:
It's two journeys. One along the way from Takieb to the night market crossroads and a second from there to the airport and back. Both journeys are 10 THB each despite the fact that you stay on the same songthaew when traveling north.
Fyi.... my physios(3 Thai ladies) on Soi 102 are adamant I should have paid 10baht for that trip

I appreciate that we don’t want to pay more than the going rate, but even at 20 Baht it’s still incredibly cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
thecolonel wrote:

I appreciate that we don’t want to pay more than the going rate, but even at 20 Baht it’s still incredibly cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Completely agree but for me I just want to know what it should actually be?! But rules and Thailand rarely go together

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I assure you that the fare should have been 20 THB as you made two journeys.
Anywhere on the KT to night market stretch is 10 THB and anywhere from the night market to the airport and back is another 10 THB even though you're using the same songthaew.
If you went the other way round, you'd pay 20 THB total. The only difference going south is that you use two songthaews.
Your physios are wrong. It's nothing to do with being farang.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

lomuamart wrote:I assure you that the fare should have been 20 THB as you made two journeys.
Anywhere on the KT to night market stretch is 10 THB and anywhere from the night market to the airport and back is another 10 THB even though you're using the same songthaew.
If you went the other way round, you'd pay 20 THB total. The only difference going south is that you use two songthaews.
Your physios are wrong. It's nothing to do with being farang.
I don't doubt that what you are saying is correct

However this afternoon I did this again, Soi 94 to Baan Klang condo, i gave him a 20 baht note but gestured I wanted change and he never batted an eyelid, just gave me 10baht change!

I make that 6 times out of 7 that I pay 10baht

Again I accept it really should be 20 baht

Maybe most of them feel that the second part of my journey is so short (600m?} they don't charge... Dunno!

Good to know that if they insist on 20baht that I'm not being 'had'! Image

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Ah, that could be the case. I couldn't picture where your condo was.
Yes, I've seen people coming from the KT side get off where the minibuses used to go from just after Chomsin Road (approx where you are) and they were allowed to pay 10 THB.
I live a couple of kms further north and the drivers certainly want the 20 THB full fare.
My geography regarding where you're staying went awry.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

lomuamart wrote:Ah, that could be the case. I couldn't picture where your condo was.
Yes, I've seen people coming from the KT side get off where the minibuses used to go from just after Chomsin Road (approx where you are) and they were allowed to pay 10 THB.
I live a couple of kms further north and the drivers certainly want the 20 THB full fare.
My geography regarding where you're staying went awry.
Oh yeah I'm well before the minibuses on Soi 51 I'm just before Soi 53

But then again it does seem rather discretionary doesn't it? At what point do you pay the second 10baht, where do you(they) draw the line?

As said before it's only 10 baht and if I get charged it, so be it. Just wanted to understand the rule. As per usual in LOS there isn't one! 5555, thanks

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Taking you slightly off track, Mrs BB tells me the fare has increased to 15 Baht. Is this only for the red/white songthaews?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:Taking you slightly off track, Mrs BB tells me the fare has increased to 15 Baht. Is this only for the red/white songthaews?
Green is 15b after 7pm

I'd like to learn about red/white route and time interval... Any links?

As asked earlier I want to know what other baht busses I can take from Baan Klang (other than the green) if going north /south on Pektasem Road

Isn't there a orange one too? Does that go over flyover and down to Sea Pines area?

Thanks

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm pretty sure the orange one you're talking about is a bus rather than songthaew. It goes from the night market crossroads where the songthaews change around to Pranburi, therefore it passes Sea Pines. I've used them a number of times before albeit quite a while ago.
If I remember correctly, they leave every 20 mins and to Pranburi the fare was 30 THB. Maybe 15/20 to Sea Pines?
A good laugh those buses. Wooden floors, fans in the ceiling, open windows and doors. A fun way to get about on their route and they do rattle along after getting out of HH. 20/25 mins to central Pranburi.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

On topic.... I think there are orange Songtheaws(aside from busses) am I wrong folks?

Off topic... Is Pranburi worth a trip?

Thanks

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

lomuamart wrote:I'm pretty sure the orange one you're talking about is a bus rather than songthaew. It goes from the night market crossroads where the songthaews change around to Pranburi, therefore it passes Sea Pines. I've used them a number of times before albeit quite a while ago.
If I remember correctly, they leave every 20 mins and to Pranburi the fare was 30 THB. Maybe 15/20 to Sea Pines?
A good laugh those buses. Wooden floors, fans in the ceiling, open windows and doors. A fun way to get about on their route and they do rattle along after getting out of HH. 20/25 mins to central Pranburi.
I knew I'd seen an Orange Songtheaw! This was on Pektasem Rd last night 10pm, not sure if he was operating or not. Didn't speak a word of English suggested to me via another that he goes from market village to makro and back again but language was an issue. Not sure times etc

The route stated on the side doesn't make much sense to me, anyone on here know the score with this bus? Yeah I could Google it but that might be old info....

ImageImage

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

From Market Village, these songthaews run along Phetchkasem to tessaban, turn left, then right into Srasong Road. From there left onto Chomsin, across the railway, and then right at Pae Mai onto the khlong road. After Smor Phrong they either turn right at HH soi 10 (hospital) or at HH soi 6 (Bo Fai) (I've seen them take both routes) and then along Phetchkasem to Makro and the airport. The return journey is the reverse.

Congratulations on seeing one. Originally they were supposed to be every 15 or 20 minutes. But I know I can walk from Smor Phrong to Chatchai market (an hour's walk) and not see one. School closing time is a good time to spot one. Also used to be able to often see them off route in Cha-Am.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ No idea where they go south of Market Village, or even if they do.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

hhinner wrote:From Market Village, these songthaews run along Phetchkasem to tessaban, turn left, then right into Srasong Road. From there left onto Chomsin, across the railway, and then right at Pae Mai onto the khlong road. After Smor Phrong they either turn right at HH soi 10 (hospital) or at HH soi 6 (Bo Fai) (I've seen them take both routes) and then along Phetchkasem to Makro and the airport. The return journey is the reverse.

Congratulations on seeing one. Originally they were supposed to be every 15 or 20 minutes. But I know I can walk from Smor Phrong to Chatchai market (an hour's walk) and not see one. School closing time is a good time to spot one. Also used to be able to often see them off route in Cha-Am.
Allegedly FWIW I'm now told they turn around at Palm Hills entrance not the airport. Not that there's a huge difference....