Scooter Purchase

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
frank1957

Scooter Purchase

Post by frank1957 »

Hi all, where is the best place to purchase a scooter in Hua Hin, I understand a reasonable price for a new 125cc is around 40,000-50,000 baht
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Scooter Purchase

Post by dtaai-maai »

There are several dealers for all of the main manufacturers along Petchkasem. I'm not aware of any problems with any of them.
As a guide, we recently bought a new Wave 115cc semi-auto, electric start for just over 40k inc tax & insurance. 125cc would have been substantially more expensive.
This is the way
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

mate just bought a click 125cc last week from the dealer at the bottom of soi 88, 43kbt with 2 years insurance, bargain
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

I have very positive experiences with the Suzuki as well as the Honda dealer on Petchkasem. Both located on the left hand side when going north, I'd guess about half a mile or more up from the clock tower.
They do all the papewrwork for you. As far as I can tell their prices are the recommended listing price, and the aftersales service excellent. I can recommend the Honda 110cc wave, automatic. Look for the feature that equalizes the front and back wheel brakes so you wont slide if you only brake the front wheel.
:cheers:
A friend is only one click away
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

I can recommend the Honda 110cc wave, automatic.
Unless I'm mistaken the Honda Wave is semi-automatic (you still have to change gears but no clutch, automatic means you don't need to change gears).
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

alleykat wrote:
I can recommend the Honda 110cc wave, automatic.
Unless I'm mistaken the Honda Wave is semi-automatic (you still have to change gears but no clutch, automatic means you don't need to change gears).

As far I know, you're 100% correct. I certainly have never seen an automatic Wave. I still think they are one of the best little scooters around, and a million times better than a Fino, Click, and etc. For the last two or three days I've been using our Fino for the first time in about a year and a half, and I hate the damn thing just as much now as I did before. I guess it's time for a new Wave to come home. :D

:cheers: :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Honda Waves are also virtually indestructible, we have a 110 that I bought over eight years ago that my partner used for about four years around Hua Hin and then sent up to Issan when we replaced it with a 125i. It was used by various family members up there for four years, mainly on unmade roads and we now have it back as it needed to be made road legal again, it hadn't been taxed for a while and it still doesn't look or run too badly. The speedo cable went during it's time up North so I don't know how many kilometers it's covered but it must be over 100,000.
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

I was wrong, Honda do actually make a Wave 110cc A/T.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

alleykat wrote:I was wrong, Honda do actually make a Wave 110cc A/T.
Well, mine IS automatic and it's a Honda 110cc. I'm out of Thailand at the moment, so I cannot confirm the model but I'm pretty sure it's a Wave.
A friend is only one click away
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

STEVE G wrote:Honda Waves are also virtually indestructible, we have a 110 that I bought over eight years ago that my partner used for about four years around Hua Hin and then sent up to Issan when we replaced it with a 125i. It was used by various family members up there for four years, mainly on unmade roads and we now have it back as it needed to be made road legal again, it hadn't been taxed for a while and it still doesn't look or run too badly. The speedo cable went during it's time up North so I don't know how many kilometers it's covered but it must be over 100,000.

I agree. The one which is now attached to my samlor is about 10 years old, maybe a bit less, and it's been abused since the day it was bought, yet it's never given me any problems at all. It was used as a motorcycle taxi for about 4 years, and since then it's been used daily here in Hua-Hin. it's also done I don't know how many trips to Bangkok and back, and countless return trips to Ranong. Apart from an occasional oil change, a few tyre replacements, a few brake replacements, and an exhaust repair, all it ever gets is some fuel. Been running it on gasohol for more than a year now and it's still going strong, but it is looking a bit rough. I honestly can't believe just how indestructible they are.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

[quote][Well, mine IS automatic and it's a Honda 110cc. I'm out of Thailand at the moment, so I cannot confirm the model but I'm pretty sure it's a Wave./quote]

It could be a Honda Click 110cc, or a Honda Air Blade.

Does it have foot pegs for your feet, or a platform? Big space under the seat, or small space?
Chain drive or belt drive?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

They do make a Honda 110 Wave automatic although you don't see that many of them around:
http://world.honda.com/news/2010/c100218Wave-110i-AT/