Speed cameras, limits, and tickets

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Re: Speed Cameras/Speed Limits

Post by fft100 »

going south, it looks like the speed limit is 90km/h until at least Prachuab, and probably further. my sat nav always says the speed limit is 90, and I didn't used to believe it until my thai other half was clocked at 130 the other month going south. The camera is at KM 300 according to the photo, which I think is just before prachuab.

so, that has made the visa runs at 140+ a bit more problematical...

btw, what is the official speed limit on the hua hin bypass ?
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Cheers for that Steve & Nereus..I'll give it a go in a month from now.. :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

usual suspect wrote:Cheers for that Steve & Nereus..I'll give it a go in a month from now.. :cheers:
Come back the same way. From Saraburi watch out for the slip road to the left when you start getting close to where you have been going previously. I have not been that way for a few months, but last time I did they were working on the slip road and it was easy to miss. Just look for the sign to Bang Na, it is well marked. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Condoking
Professional
Professional

Post by Condoking »

Went to Pranburi today to renew the Tax on my caaaa hitch was politely declined as I have an outstanding speeding fine in Khorat. Main problem is that I did not receive any advice through the post and having checked in HH Police station have been told I have to go to Khorat Police Station to pay it.

Great one way technology that Khorat can tell Pranburi not to renew my tax but HH cannot send the money the other way. Apparently if I'd received a letter from Khorat I could have posted the money to them and, in theory, all would have been OK. That assumes that firstly the letter arrives and secondly that whoever opens it doesn't misplace the money before it gets to the fines desk.

I now have to arrange a day out to Khorat, in the meantime I am driving without tax and looking forward to paying other branches of the MIB for the pleasure.
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and then again I just sits" Punch 24th Oct 1906
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

btw, what is the official speed limit on the hua hin bypass ?[/quote]

According to the recent speeding fine we got 120 kms!!
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

As I said before officially the speed limit on a non-urban divided two lane road is 120km/h unless stated otherwise.
Some of the U-turns have a 90km/h limit posted but no 'restriction ends' signs.

There is clearly some discretion on the part of the police as to what the speed limit is, anything over 90km/h could be construed as speeding if you are near a junction, near a truck, near an accident, near a motorcycle, near a hill, near a tree, near a bend and most commonly, near a policeman near the end of the month.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You've got me worried now Condoking. when I started this thread, I said that I was expecting 2, but only one arrived. At least the missing ticket was from the Petchaburi area.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Condoking
Professional
Professional

Post by Condoking »

Hi BB, understand that you're a bit concerned but since then I did a round trip via Chiang Rai so it's anyone's guess what will be waiting for me next year
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and then again I just sits" Punch 24th Oct 1906
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Based on the advice given on this thread, I make sure that I stay under 120KPH these days .......... most of the time :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

If you do receive a speeding ticket from any province, you can pay at any Post Office, you get an official receipt immediately, and then you get a further receipt by post from the issuing Police station, once the transfer process is complete.

Post Office charges THB72 for this service.

With regard to speed limits, my understanding is any unmarked road within City Limit is 50 kph, any Expressway or major road outside of City Limit is 90 kph.

I'm sure that 120 kph only applies to roads specifically marked as such. Some expressways are only 80 kh, but these too are signposted.
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I got done a coupla weeks back in BKK while driving 'upstairs' on the expressway past Don Mueang A/pt..seemingly the speed limit past the airport..even when you're up on the expressway..is 80kph..now that may be utter bollox, but the MIB had 9 patrol cars dotted around the Northbound toll-booth beyond the a/pt!..Oh yes..they were gonna get your Baht that day!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I understand the speed limits winkie, but the advice given on this thread is that fines do not get issued unless you exceed 120KMH. Similar to motorway driving in the UK where the speed limit is 70MPH, but you don't risk being caught until you exceed 85MPH.

US, were you caught by warm bodies as opposed to a camera?

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I think the fines get compounded if they are left unpaid for more than a week. This comes from our company driver who has been in that situation before. Do note, however, that he had been issued a ticket and his driving licence was kept. He had to pay the fine (plus interest) at the station from which the issuing BIB come from to redeem his licence. And no, you can't apply for a new one as it goes on your record...
วินเชนท์
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

usual suspect wrote:I got done a coupla weeks back in BKK while driving 'upstairs' on the expressway past Don Mueang A/pt..seemingly the speed limit past the airport..even when you're up on the expressway..is 80kph..now that may be utter bollox, but the MIB had 9 patrol cars dotted around the Northbound toll-booth beyond the a/pt!..Oh yes..they were gonna get your Baht that day!!
This is correct. This expressway is posted at 80kph limit.

It's notorious for police checks, have had several from that expressway.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Big Boy wrote:I understand the speed limits winkie, but the advice given on this thread is that fines do not get issued unless you exceed 120KMH. Similar to motorway driving in the UK where the speed limit is 70MPH, but you don't risk being caught until you exceed 85MPH.
Hi BB

I'm quite certain that is not the case. I'm sure I've had camera fines for doing 100+ in 90 limits. And certainly I've paid fines for human checks at less than 120kph.