The Wine Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by HHTel »

I always remember going into Carrefour some years ago in BKK. I noticed bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau on the shelf complete with security tag at over 1,000 baht. The problem was that it was over 3 years old!!!
Carrefour is a French company selling wine that is only good to put on chips.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

HHTel wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:31 pm I always remember going into Carrefour some years ago in BKK. I noticed bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau on the shelf complete with security tag at over 1,000 baht. The problem was that it was over 3 years old!!!
Carrefour is a French company selling wine that is only good to put on chips.
Carrefour has an excellent selection of wine, and if you put it on chips you waste both products !
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I was specifically talking of Beaujolais Nouveau which as I'm sure you know has a shelf life of around 90 days. I don't dispute the quality of 'real' wines.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

France to spend €200m destroying wine as demand falls

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66623636

The French government is allocating €200m (£171.6m) to destroy surplus wine and support producers.

It comes amid a cocktail of problems for the industry, including a falling demand for wine as more people drink craft beer.

Overproduction and the cost of living crisis are also hitting the industry.

Most of the €200m will be used to buy excess stock, with the alcohol sold for use in items such as hand sanitiser, cleaning products and perfume.

In a bid to cut back on the overproduction, money will also be available for winegrowers to change to other products, such as olives.

In funnelling the money into the industry, the French government aims to stop "prices collapsing... so that wine-makers can find sources of revenue again", Agriculture Minister Marc Fesneau said.

Despite the financial help - an initial EU fund of €160m which the French government topped up to €200m - the wine industry needs to "look to the future, think about consumer changes ... and adapt", he added.

European Commission data for the year to June shows that wine consumption has fallen 7% in Italy, 10% in Spain, 15% in France, 22% in Germany and 34% in Portugal, while wine production across the bloc - the world's biggest wine-making area - rose 4%.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Pity they can’t send some to help the over-inflated Thai prices!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Pity they can’t send some to help the over-inflated Thai prices!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't drink it (in the bars that is) id rather drink it in my room. I pay 570 baht for a 'bag' which has 2 bottles in it. It's drinkable but I miss the wine prices in the UK!

But it does disappoint me the enormous mark up that the bars put on a glass of wine especially when it's such poor quality

Feel sorry for the ladies(mostly, although some guys have to suffer it too)

That La Vida is the worst, they make so much money on a 5 Litre box of that vinegar it's obscene!

It's 200 baht a glass in some places and they are buying it at less than 30 baht a glass

They typically have about a 100% mark up on beer so that would translate to 60 baht a glass of wine. Just for perspective

Appreciate beer prices are sensitive

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk