'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by SunandFun »

T.O.M. wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:53 pm SunandFun.
If you go back to the US on a frequent basis, why not get a OA-visa from the Thai Embassy in the states?
It will give you are 2 year stay (will have to do a border run after the 1st year) and more importantly: You will have no contact with with Thai immigration and their never ending stupid requirements....which differs from office to office.
A new OA can be applied for even if your present one has not expired (you simply leave Thailand without a reentry permit, which will automatically kill your present extension)....So you don't have to plan your travels to the US to time it with your present extension. Makes sense?
A little paperwork back home, but no more immigration nonsense here.
How can an OA visa from US be good for a two year stay? And why no border run in the first year? Thanks. I am not familiar with the OA visa other than, that Is what I started with to convert to a retirement "extension to stay". Can you explain what a OA visa is and what are the rules? Thanks
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

SunandFun wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:36 am
T.O.M. wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:53 pm SunandFun.
If you go back to the US on a frequent basis, why not get a OA-visa from the Thai Embassy in the states?
It will give you are 2 year stay (will have to do a border run after the 1st year) and more importantly: You will have no contact with with Thai immigration and their never ending stupid requirements....which differs from office to office.
A new OA can be applied for even if your present one has not expired (you simply leave Thailand without a reentry permit, which will automatically kill your present extension)....So you don't have to plan your travels to the US to time it with your present extension. Makes sense?
A little paperwork back home, but no more immigration nonsense here.
How can an OA visa from US be good for a two year stay? And why no border run in the first year? Thanks. I am not familiar with the OA visa other than, that Is what I started with to convert to a retirement "extension to stay". Can you explain what a OA visa is and what are the rules? Thanks
No border run the first year because you have got a 1 year visa...however whenever you reenter Thailand on your OA visa border immigration will stamp you in for a full year. So if you do a border run on day 364, you will get a border "extension" for another full year. To keep that stamp alive, it is important to get a reentry permit, if you leave Thailand during to second year. The local immigration requirements only comes into force if you convert your OA visa into a extension of stay here. (In Thailand).
When the 2 years are over....rinse and repeat.
Important information from The Thai Consulate in LA:
"The consulate cannot extend/renew the Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay Visa) - you will have to re-apply for this type of visa (resubmit all of the required documentation)" Quote
And here is their information regarding application for OA visa.
http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_ ... link_id=48
Hope this helps...
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Next year when my annual extension is due at the beginning of June, I am likely to be out of Thailand and wonder if anybody has been in this situation and whether it’s possible to renew early (I’m talking about 2-3 months, not weeks). Having read the last few exchanges, I guess one option would be to let the current extension lapse and then apply for a new O-A visa, but if there’s a simpler option, I’d prefer to go down that route. Thanks in advance.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I know you can renew the annual permission to stay up to 45 days prior to expiration date.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Scout wrote:I know you can renew the annual permission to stay up to 45 days prior to expiration date.
Thanks Scout - I knew you could do it early but wasn’t sure of the number of days, but even 45 probably won’t be sufficient - unless anybody else comes up with an alternative option, I’ll call in to the Tha Yang immigration office and see if they can suggest anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

OK, when it comes to these visa requirements I'm a moron. As I've said before give me tax law anyday, or dealing with the IRS. I am still confused about the money on deposit issue.

OK I have a visa that says category O on it. It is multiple entry, based upon retirement. In the past to get it, and my renewals (renewed 2017, 2018) I have always used the income method.

Following Big Boy's sojourn I could transfer income in every month. I do not have a pension but enough in retirement accounts, etc, that it is no problem to fulfill the requirements. I also could do the money in bank.

I am married to a Thai (married in the states, not had a ceremony here in Thailand) so do I need 800,000 baht, or 400,000 baht in the bank? (and the same question on the monthly income).

Thanks for helping the handicapped challenged :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I am married to a Thai (married in the states, not had a ceremony here in Thailand) so do I need 800,000 baht, or 400,000 baht in the bank? (and the same question on the monthly income).
A bit ironic me answering this! I am not either married, or use the income method. For me, to save yourself a lot of hassle, the 800k in the bank is the easiest way to go.

With the 400k you have to prove your marriage, which may involve photos at your house of both of you together as just one example. Not having been documented here could also involve a witch hunt. It can become a long and involved process.

Or you could continue with the income method and ensure that it complies with immigrations latest requirements, assuming that it is not changed again any time soon! What concerns me about that method is that immigration have repeatedly stated "income from a PENSION account". It is a bit beyond their logic to assume that just maybe you have enough investment income to cover it. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Anyone know if Hua Hin have changed the retirement visa renewal requirement to 2 months for money in the bank? Apparently there was a change in the police order earlier this year but not all offices are complying and still insist on 3 months.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

nil wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:09 pm Anyone know if Hua Hin have changed the retirement visa renewal requirement to 2 months for money in the bank? Apparently there was a change in the police order earlier this year but not all offices are complying and still insist on 3 months.
No idea what Hua Hin might do, but the following is the new police order: (scroll down)

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?cont ... 166d324c36
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

short answer; nothing has changed. money in the bank for 2 months prior to and 3 months after visa appl. or 65,000Bht a month from an out of the country source, principally, a retirement account; govt. or private.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:18 pm short answer; nothing has changed. money in the bank for 2 months prior to and 3 months after visa appl. or 65,000Bht a month from an out of the country source, principally, a retirement account; govt. or private.
What?

How about the 800K in the bank for 3 months before and left there for another 3 months after? And then 400K left in there forever.

Sorry, I think things have changed big time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

How about the 800K in the bank for 3 months before and left there for another 3 months after? And then 400K left in there forever.

Sorry, I forgot about that. I'm changing to a "marriage" visa and was concentrating on that.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It was my turn to extend my AO (retirement) visa today. I chose to offer them the bare minimum.

I handed over:

TM7
TM8
Passport + copy of photo page, last extension entry and TM6.
Photos
Letter from bank confirming x bank acct belonged to me of x address.
12 months evidence of international payments into Thailand, demonstrating minimum of 65k baht paid monthly. Stamped by bank.
Hand drawn map.

In addition they asked for:

Bankbook, which they photocopied
12 months worth of statements for account.

And that was it. I was asked if I had retained copies so I knew what I needed for next year (I had).

I am not too thrilled about the access to my bank account they now have, which seems to go beyond what they actually require. Maybe I will open another account to transfer the money received from abroad into.
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

caller,

I don't know which bank you're with, but did you supply original evidence of the international payments? The reason I ask is that I'm with Kasikorn and back in February I got a few credit advices from them. In that instance, they emailed the advices from BKK and I just printed them off - so they weren't originals. But other than showing these to Imm to see if I was on the right track, they haven't been submitted yet as supporting evidence.

It's my intention to go to the bank today or tomorrow to ask for all the stuff. I'm sure the advices can be sent by post but I need to know what to ask for.

Also, I assume that the bank statements were full ones showing transfers in and all monies out? In my case, normally ATM withdrawals. Is that right?

Thanks.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Hi Lomu,

I am with Kbank also,

Kbank Bluport told me they could provide the last 3 months, but that Bangkok permission was required for the rest. That was a formality. Each A4 sheet showed the date of the international transfer, fees etc and then total paid into my account. Once they knew what I wanted, I was asked to return later to collect everything. The letter confirming the account was mine was just a few lines of text and the 12 months worth of statements showed every transaction in and out (mainly out). Give me a few minutes and I will post up copies.
Talk is cheap