I'm looking for a mincer!

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

I'm looking for a mincer!

Post by NOKYAI »

:roll: no not that sort!

I want to make sausages and burgers and would like a mincing machine. I don't want to bother with a food processor as these just end up in the cupboard gathering dust. I remember my old Gran had one that screwed to the work top with a handle, you just fed chunks of meat in the top and turned.

Has anyone seen something like this in Hua hin please?
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Re: I'm looking for a mincer!

Post by Big Boy »

This was the last similar thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18129
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Ok I trolled round the Chinese places near the wet market and finally got one. It's a bit bigger than I was wanting and looks fairly industrial ... B 950. I found it in the shop near the main railway crossing on the corner with all the fans out side. They had bigger sizes!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

NOKYAI wrote:Ok I trolled round the Chinese places near the wet market and finally got one. It's a bit bigger than I was wanting and looks fairly industrial ... B 950. I found it in the shop near the main railway crossing on the corner with all the fans out side. They had bigger sizes!
Manually operated or electric?
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Manual
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I remember in the 70s when my children were babies, we had one in the kitchen. From Sears, a hand mincer. At dinner time we just put some of whatever we were eating into the mincer and Voila!---Baby food.
alf
Amateur
Amateur

Post by alf »

Hello you can find it at chomsin road if you go chomsin from the trafficligt heading to the railroad100 meter in the corner when you turn left there I bought one a couple of years ago
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Nokyai: We have the same kind of mincer, and have made sausages from meat minced in it. You'll need to find a nozzle to attach to the front when you're filling the sausage skins. I think we bought one on-line (along with the skins).

One of the problems we had with our sausages was that they were a bit dry. You do need to get meat with a bit of fat on it (which is sometimes difficult in Thailand). You could, alternatively, buy some fat and add it to the mince.

Oh, and you do need two people to do the stuffing bit - one to wind the handle and the other guiding the skins. We also used ordinary cotton thread to tie the sausages. It can be quite fun! :D

VS
PS: We tried mincing the meat in a food processor, but it was too mushy. The old-fashioned way is the best.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Vital Spark wrote:Nokyai: We have the same kind of mincer, and have made sausages from meat minced in it. You'll need to find a nozzle to attach to the front when you're filling the sausage skins. I think we bought one on-line (along with the skins).

One of the problems we had with our sausages was that they were a bit dry. You do need to get meat with a bit of fat on it (which is sometimes difficult in Thailand). You could, alternatively, buy some fat and add it to the mince.

Oh, and you do need two people to do the stuffing bit - one to wind the handle and the other guiding the skins. We also used ordinary cotton thread to tie the sausages. It can be quite fun! :D

VS
PS: We tried mincing the meat in a food processor, but it was too mushy. The old-fashioned way is the best.
I don't know what recipe you use VS to make your sausages, but assuming you add breadcrumbs or rusk, it's essential that you add water as well, not only does it make the sausages moister, it also helps feed the filling into the skins. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Thanks, DB, I've passed your advice on to the mincer (organ) grinder - I'm just the monkey :wink: . Mr.VS does all the culinary bits in our household, and is a bit of a dab hand at cheese making. The beauty of living in this country is that you might turn your hand to (and get a lot of enjoyment) making food that you could easily buy off the shelf in your previous life.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Home Made Cheese discussion moved here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24603
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I bought some kits to make Isaan type sausages from the supermarket and used the skins from them. They were reduced to B20 so reasonable.i then cut the top off a 2L coke bottle to make a funnel and used that to fill the skins. It's all a bit phalic and has the mrs in tears, but good fun! I used some left over rice as the filler, tasted great!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

NOKYAI wrote:I bought some kits to make Isaan type sausages from the supermarket and used the skins from them. They were reduced to B20 so reasonable.i then cut the top off a 2L coke bottle to make a funnel and used that to fill the skins. It's all a bit phalic and has the mrs in tears, but good fun! I used some left over rice as the filler, tasted great!

I also use the skins from the sausage kits you mention. Sometimes I make the Northern Sausage for which the kits are sold, and sometimes I just make my own easy style boerewors...lol.

If you make the Northern Sausage, I've found it's best to do as it says on the packet, and use minced belly pork which can be bought at Makro. Alternatively, use the second cheapest pork mince from the big pork shop on the main road. It has the right fat content but keep in mind that it's best to cook the sausage on a BBQ, and prick it to let some fat escape.

One question...............what is the reason for adding a filler? Is it just a way of cutting back on the amount of meat used?

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I believe rusk or even broken cream crackers can be used as filler, I think it absorbs the fat during cooking so that they don't shrivel up and dry out. Rice worked fine for me :-)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote:
NOKYAI wrote:I bought some kits to make Isaan type sausages from the supermarket and used the skins from them. They were reduced to B20 so reasonable.i then cut the top off a 2L coke bottle to make a funnel and used that to fill the skins. It's all a bit phalic and has the mrs in tears, but good fun! I used some left over rice as the filler, tasted great!

I also use the skins from the sausage kits you mention. Sometimes I make the Northern Sausage for which the kits are sold, and sometimes I just make my own easy style boerewors...lol.

If you make the Northern Sausage, I've found it's best to do as it says on the packet, and use minced belly pork which can be bought at Makro. Alternatively, use the second cheapest pork mince from the big pork shop on the main road. It has the right fat content but keep in mind that it's best to cook the sausage on a BBQ, and prick it to let some fat escape.

One question...............what is the reason for adding a filler? Is it just a way of cutting back on the amount of meat used?

:cheers:
I believe that they have used rusk or breadcrumb (or other filler) for a very long time, but the amount has increased during times of shortage e.g. during WW2, but even a good quality sausage will have about 15% filler, it helps absorb some of the fat when cooked and keeps the sausage moist - apparently most professionals prefer rusk to breadcrumbs.