Indian restaurants in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: Indian restaurants in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:42 am Take a look
https://www.muktihuahin.com/menus
OK, I'm a Brit, so I'm already rubber stamped as as Cheap Charlie. People have already put Mukti's food in the same bracket as Atcha, so I see little point in paying sometimes double the price for a bit of aircon.

I avoid restaurants with white tablecloths for the same reason.

As a general rule we don't use aircon or tablecloths at home either.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I don’t mind paying more if you’re paying for quality or ambiance (as in Shiva), but otherwise I’d choose reasonable quality at reasonable price. Looking at the prices at Mukti, they're not excessively high so I’d be willing to give them a try just to see how they compare - my taste buds are exclusive to me, so I might like them more or less than the next person!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was very tempted to try their lunchtime platter, because I agree, it might also have been special for me, but there would have been too much waste, because I'm such a fussy eater.

Also, if we start getting reports of the food being the best, I would also be tempted, but everybody is reporting 'on a par' with................ So there's your chance to convert me DB :D . I'll await your report with interest.

On a different tack, my son tried S&S for the first time since that ill fated night over 10 years ago. He said it was excellent. So I may well give it a go again.

Points 51; Position 21
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:58 am I was very tempted to try their lunchtime platter, because I agree, it might also have been special for me, but there would have been too much waste, because I'm such a fussy eater.

Also, if we start getting reports of the food being the best, I would also be tempted, but everybody is reporting 'on a par' with................ So there's your chance to convert me DB :D . I'll await your report with interest.

On a different tack, my son tried S&S for the first time since that ill fated night over 10 years ago. He said it was excellent. So I may well give it a go again.
I had S&S delivered a week or so ago. Nothing to write home about
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: Incredible............. I wrote a few bad words about S&S over 10 years ago and it seemed the whole of Hua Hin defended them.

I now write something nice, and am told 'nothing to write home about.' :laugh:

It just shows you can't please all of the people, all of the time. Basically, if you like it, go again. If you don't, go elsewhere. There are plenty to choose from these days.

:lach:

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Agreed. Everyone is different.
Personally, having tried others, I always return to S & S. For me, it's suits my palate perfectly.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:58 am I was very tempted to try their lunchtime platter, because I agree, it might also have been special for me, but there would have been too much waste, because I'm such a fussy eater.

You’ll have quite a wait them as next week I’m off on my UK pilgrimage for 3.1/2 months so towards the end of the year :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I'm pretty much aligned with BB about Mukti.

Any set menu is normally a no-no for me, as there is invariably at least one item on the menu I don't want. And I don't quite get the specials that Mukti produce. Okay, they had a ladies lunch there the other day, so that was an end in itself. But the 'taste of India' special as shown above, doesn't showcase their normal menu, with only the flatbread replicated. So nice as it may be, it may never be available again.

For me to become a regular, it will have to provide a bigger choice on it's menu.

I think the same in respect of starters with Athcha, but there is more choice for me there. I'm not the type to travel around looking for the 'best', just what is good for me, what I like. Once I have found that, then generally I can't be bothered to try numerous other places only to be disappointed by many of them. Or until what is good for me, stops being that.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:27 pm You’ll have quite a wait them as next week I’m off on my UK pilgrimage for 3.1/2 months so towards the end of the year :cheers:
I can wait :thumb:

Maybe I won't have to wait. Maybe people will start reporting it is much better than other places. After all, that is what got me to Atcha in the first instance. I usually follow recommendations, but there haven't been any so far.

BTW saying somewhere is as good as somewhere else, but the food is a lot more expensive is not a recommendation in my Cheap Charlie world. Seriously, I don't mind paying, but I'd want something more than aircon for my money.

Points 51; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Actually, there was one food item, that in my opinion, bettered Atcha.

Just as we all know about BB's sausage fixation, mine is for Samosa's. Because of my time on the UK and a place called Rita's in Southall, which is no longer what it was. But the best samosas I have ever eaten, came from there. That is my standard. It wasn't just me, they were legendary in the large Indian local community, including the 50% of the team I managed, who were of Indian descent. It wasn't unusual for one of the team to call in, 'we're going by Rita's, does anyone want any Samosa's'. Birthday celebrations involved the birthday boy or girl, pre-ordering the day before, a huge batch of samosas for everyone in the team. Their tamarind sauce was as good as the food.

The samosas I had at Mukti, are for me, the best I have yet tasted in Thailand, not that I eat much Indian food when away from Hua Hin, but I have done. One place in Bkk, that was otherwise not great (a small chain, aimed at Thai's) held the honour of the best, until I tried Mukti's. In fact, I think I might pop up there soon to order some.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I think we discussed samosas at Atcha before, and you disagreed when I said the Atcha potato samosa was very nice. They are the best I've had in Thailand, but I haven't tried Mukti's of course. Maybe that is the start of a reason to try them :D .

I'd only really tried samosas at Indian buffets previously, and the samosas were nothing special. Atcha's were the first, and only samosas to make an impact on me. I've now got to decide if the Mukti samosa is 72% better than Atcha to justify the cost. What do you think caller? You have tried both.

Points 51; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:23 pm Yes, I think we discussed samosas at Atcha before, and you disagreed when I said the Atcha potato samosa was very nice.
I think Atcha's are okay. I am actually surprised they are not better. I haven'tt checked the cost between the two, but if the difference is large, then I would say that probably exaplains the difference in quality. One is basically potato, the other has a range of ingredients. And yes, I would pay the extra for a samosa from Mukti.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you - I will have to try one.

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I appreciate this is about Indian restaurants in Hua Hin, but my families favourite Indian in the UK (called Jasmin at Bexleyheath), whilst excellent for food and hospitality, a meal (including all the trimmings) and a couple of drinks is something like £40-50 a head, so for what we pay in Hua Hin, its incredible value for money.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Benroon wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:05 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:58 pm
caller wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:10 pm

Yes, very nice aircon restaurant. It had a previous existance as a restaurant before Mukti.

The food was excellent, what my friend and I had was up their with Atcha, where we have been numerous times.

However, the menu is very limited. Unless that has changed? When I first saw their menu online, I assumed there were a few pages missing, but nope, what I saw is all there was, basically less than 2 sides of A4, for everything, so limited curry's, starters, nan's at al.

They do have lunch specials which seem to be very well recived.

Off street parking at the front of the restaurant, which is on the Pala-U Rd.
I just took a takeaway to try them, I'll eat it later. Very nice restaurant and staff. Complementary puppadums and chutnies while I waited. Small beers are 100 Baht, I guess not a total ripoff for a nice place. Quiet at 12.00 noon but one table of four Thais came in to eat. Yes, I was a tad disappointed at the limited menu but was aware before I went; no potato dishes which I love. A while after I ordered I saw jalfrezi and vindaloo on the specials board which aren't on the printed menu. My bad. :)
No Vindaloo on an Indian restaurant menu??? wtf ? - what is on it then?
On the specials board, as I said.