TOT Internet Issues

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: TOT Internet Issues - Is it only me?

Post by hhinner »

I think many, maybe most, areas in Hua Hin have comprehensive fiber optic cabling by all the major ISPs. Our small soi has at least AIS, TOT, 3BB, True and GTV (which also does internet) and we are about 5km from the town center. I suspect most of the members here could choose whichever supplier they want, except maybe those in condos where multiple ISPs can't get in.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Most members who live in Hua Hin, that is.
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:25 am ^^ Most members who live in Hua Hin, that is.
Indeed, we have a great choice of TOT or TOT ... not living in Hua Hin. :banghead:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think there are still provider restrictions in the outlying developments, but yes we are spoilt for choice in most of Hua Hin. I've tried 3BB, True and AIS. AIS are miles ahead of the rest in my personal experience.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Our modem fried last Friday due to a power surge or whatever whilst I was out all day. The wife called TOT and they replaced it for 20 THB. Since then, I've been getting d/load speeds to London of up to 250 mps (from about 100 before).

Yesterday, we had no connection for maybe 2 hours and my wife was told by TOT that the whole country was down.

I'm pretty happy with TOT.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I have had 3bb since day one I moved her and can't say any negative at all. Have their fiber now, and I cannot remember last time it dropped out. Very fast and I am streaming on multiple devices in our home including streaming from my home country with the use of VPN. All in crystal clear HD quality. This is in Soi 94.

YNWA

YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I actually think you need to measure how good a provider is Soi by Soi. You hear so many good and bad stories about all ISPs. Good service seems to vary from Soi to Soi

I too am in the 94 area. I was happy with 3BB until the day it went wrong. It was going to take them several weeks to get an engineer out to fix it. I told them not to bother and invited True to install, who did it same day. It was quite funny, as soon as I told them not to bother fixing it, I had engineers queueing at the the front gate - sorry, too late.

I have no problem with breakdowns, but I won't tolerate being told repair will take several weeks, when they don't even know what the problem is. There are plenty more providers happy to give a service.

True, I was delighted with for quite a while, but they were unable to provide a bill. They were overcharging me, and I eventually proved it to them (very difficult without written evidence of what you're paying). Expecting a nice little windfall, I asked how much I had to pay. They insisted I had to pay what was showing on the computer - I walked next door and signed up to AIS.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Our house internet has always been from TOT in the three houses we have lived in, along the Klong Road (Roowamsook ), Hin Lek Fai near Mon Mai and now in Nong Khon. I don’t think they are the best but consistently average and more importantly do not bother us to increase bandwidth or buy other products. At our new house they needed the ‘cancel the service’ visit to provoke an almost instant response and as has already been said, their reliability is not fantastic. After a bad experience with true I will never use them and have not had dealings with 3BB so cannot comment. Our mobiles are with AIS and if I was going to change they would be my first port of call.
For now I tolerate TOT and unless they really mess up things are unlikely to change. Much a case of better the devil you know.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I'm in Smorprong and the development has GTV. You can get other cable services but have to pay to run the cable from wherever it is they run it from. Generally speaking the service is crap, TV channels come and go, stop and start, freeze and the internet goes off and on. They're pretty good about sending a technician out to investigate but most of the time they shrug and say they'll have to check the line somewhere else then, maybe in an hour or two or the next day, everything is working until the next breakdown. When my wife calls the office the girls, whose only job is to collect money, they never know anything and say they'll contact a technician. I checked with TOT and they wanted an exorbitant amount of money for basic cable with Thai programmes only. Everything else was extra and the price kept going up.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anyone else noticed that TOT is worse than its usual state (which is pretty dire) recently?

It has been off twice already today and is very patchy, to say the least. Even the Mrs is getting cranky as her TV box that comes with it also buffers most of the time (and that is connected locally).

As usual the "technicians" haven't got a clue.

Thinking of subscribing to another provider to serve as a backup when this one is playing up (which is every day at the moment).

Edit: speed test without the VPN is 9 down/10 up. Its 50% quicker with the VPN connected to Singapore.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Perhaps a local issue. Things stable and working to their normal standards :roll: here in the east.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Edit: speed test without the VPN is 9 down/10 up. Its 50% quicker with the VPN connected to Singapore.
I haven't seen speeds like that for some years. I have 3BB fibre and I get around 600 -800+ both up and down.

Maybe time to change.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I live in the boonies where we use smoke signals and send ravens with more complex messages. A good day is one when the power stays on for more than 12 hours.

I don't think I've ever seen three-figure Mbps internet speeds, even in Hua Hin.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve just done a speed test (I’m with TOT) and got 23/3 with the VPN connected to the UK, with it turned off 46/38.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

buksida wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:36 pm I live in the boonies where we use smoke signals and send ravens with more complex messages. A good day is one when the power stays on for more than 12 hours.

I don't think I've ever seen three-figure Mbps internet speeds, even in Hua Hin.
This taken a few mins ago. There are 3 other computers doing 'online learning' so a little slower than normal.
speedpic.jpg
speedpic.jpg (20.71 KiB) Viewed 191 times