What Motorcycle to buy and where to buy

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Tetralis
Novice
Novice

What Motorcycle to buy and where to buy

Post by Tetralis »

Seeing as I am moving to Hua Hin in mid-july I am going to need a means of transportation.

This of course involves getting my paws on a motorbike. I have been looking around and set my sights on the magnificent Honda PCX, but I am wondering if it is possible to buy them second hand, and if so, where a good second hand dealer is located in the Hua Hin area.

I am not completely locked in on the PCX, so if anyone has any good advise on whatever bike is worth a look, please feel free to chip in. (It MUST be an automatic though :laugh: )
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: What to buy and where to buy

Post by Gregjam »

Lots of bike shops here, best to have a look round and see what is for sale.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Re: What Motorcycle to buy and where to buy

Post by SunandFun »

I bought my PCX 150 a year ago. I looked for a used one and they were only 8000 Baht cheaper with lots of miles. Could buy for 65,000 used or 73,000 new. And that was to travel to Phuket to pick it up unseen. Easy choice.
Shop around and ask for best price. Prices are different within 6000 Baht. SO it pays to shop. I bought at the Yamaha Dealer on Phetscam. Big one on the left going towards ChaAM. Good luck. Enjoy it when you come.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have a 4 year old PCX125 which has served me very well and would definitely rate them above say the Honda Wave/Click as they drive much better and I'm sure the extra 25cc of the newer model will be a little nippier. They have just brought out an updated model and the best price I have seen is 80,000 at the Cha Am Honda dealer, but see if you can find it for less.
Tetralis
Novice
Novice

Post by Tetralis »

I will surely be looking to buy a PCX after seeing some youtube reviews of it. Looks to be the bike of choice and i like looks of it more than any of the other bikes on the market.

I have also taken a look at the Honda airblade, as i have driven it on a previous trip to Thailand and rather liked it. The only thing i didn't like about it was the drive comfor as i am a pretty tall guy (193ish cm) and my mindset is that the PCX being the bigger bike will offer me more comfort
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

Tetralis wrote: i am a pretty tall guy (193ish cm) and my mindset is that the PCX being the bigger bike will offer me more comfort
You will probably have to modify the seat which has a small back rest. I have read somewhere that tall people have it removed so that they can sit comfortably in the middle of the saddle. And then, the 150cc will be fine too according to your weight.
T and D Bikes
Amateur
Amateur

Post by T and D Bikes »

Hi tetralis
You can rent a PCX or other bike from me to try before you buy, good idea, no ?
I have many types of bike and bicycle for rent.
You can look at my page on the sponser list for my address and number.

" Thida "
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I was just in the Honda dealership in Hua Hin and they want 83,000 BT for the new version of the PCX 150 including tax and a years insurance. That's the one they keep advertising on the TV with the automatic stop/start for saving petrol in traffic.
Tetralis
Novice
Novice

Post by Tetralis »

What does said insurance cover?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Tetralis wrote:What does said insurance cover?
I assume it's just the third party insurance to make it legal on the road.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Interesting that so many of you like the PCX - I loathe them! I find the seat shaping uncomfortable, and the steering column too upright. I feel a bit like an upright postured rabbit when riding them, feel a distinct lack of accurate control, and would never buy one. I would always take a click or a wave over one of them, but prefer the old Air Blade above all of them.

That said, the deal at Honda is that you get the health insurance, after-purchase servicing, 3rd party and theft cover. I think it all runs for 2 years, but I would have to check the paperwork to be sure. There is a lot to be saved buying second hand for sure - but it is well worth renting a few different models first. Also, there is a fairly high chance that any bike you buy may have been treated fairly badly and it is worth getting it checked over at least once at the main dealer service shop before you part with any money. In any case, when you buy a used bike, replace the rubber! Thais have a nasty habit or repairing and recycling tyres - the rubber perishes after a while in Thai climate conditions, and there is some solution they soak them in to hold them together.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

I would buy the new 125 Click, since I use the cavity in front of the seat for my pooch, groceries and golf clubs. Top of the range is around 50,000 thb.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I got a 110i fuel injection Wave last year - it is OK, but a touch underpowered. The 125 option is definitely better. The Air Blades were only 110, and had abundant power - so I was a little surprised the Wave felt so much less so. I also much prefer the models with 2 springs at the rear than the single spring. I find them a little unsteady in cornering, but that may just be me. Yamaha or Honda, I don't care too much - but bought Honda more out of convenience than anything.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Tetralis
Novice
Novice

Post by Tetralis »

Thanks for all your answers - very helpful :cheers:

I have been looking at and driving the the Airblade and it was not at all bad. There are just some things i like about the PCX. (And it is the only bike my girlfriend talks about :roll: Ohhh the things we do for our ladies 8) )

Anyway, if someone could point me in the direction of a trustworthy secondhand dealer, it would be much appreciated :)