ghosts !!!

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

In our village in Nong Ki, a couple of rai of land came up for sale, next to the crematorium at the Watt.
I asked my partner to inquire about the price but she refused point blank, saying I was completely mad to think of buying haunted land. Everybody else in the village was obviously of the same opinion as the land went unsold for some time.
Eventually one of my partner’s relations was visiting from Bangkok, and he bought the land for next to nothing. I said to him “ah, at least you are not scared of ghosts in Bangkokâ€
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

DawnHHDRC wrote:I think the "supernatural" is something you either believe in or don't.
True but people who do not can change their opinion over one single incident. I belive that the vast majority of incidents that people think are supernatural reallly haev a logical explanation. Is it possible that you yourself put the stock in the position, but in your state of mind at the time completely forgot. I have done this many times. Also did you check for the suppliers and were you charged.
hollygolightly1 wrote: I was in New York ten days after 9/11
I was in New York and and at the yop of the South Tower exactly six months before 9/11 (I.e 3/11 between 9:12AM and about 11:00AM. When a finally got out of the elkevator at ground level I felt an enormous sense of relief. I do not think there is anything supernatural about that, it is just that I have a very powerful fear of heights.

Totally unrelated except for 9/11 was that for many years, as long as I can remember I have had recurring dreams of two disticntly different (I thoufgt at the time) unrelated scenarios.

The first one was being in an aircraft and seeing that it was heading directly towards a building but being totally unable to to change the course of the aircraft. In all occassions I was not alone and was on a commercial airliner. I always would wake up before impact and on many occasions shouting things out.

The second dream even more common to me was that of falling out of a high building as a means to escape something, again I always woke up before death.

Since 9/11 I have never had either dream.

The second can be explained by the natural fear I have being graphically highlighted during sleep for some reason. Fear of heights is also a farly logical fear.

With regards to the first I can not even come up with a theory. I have benn invoved in three frightening situations on aircraft but one was over the ocean, one was when landing on a runway and the other was over a large city but far from high buildings. Another related fact is that I have only made two long haul return flights since 9/11 although I have have made many internal flights in Thailand.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
hollygolightly1

Post by hollygolightly1 »

Guess wrote:Totally unrelated except for 9/11 was that for many years, as long as I can remember I have had recurring dreams of two disticntly different (I thoufgt at the time) unrelated scenarios.

The first one was being in an aircraft and seeing that it was heading directly towards a building but being totally unable to to change the course of the aircraft. In all occassions I was not alone and was on a commercial airliner. I always would wake up before impact and on many occasions shouting things out.

The second dream even more common to me was that of falling out of a high building as a means to escape something, again I always woke up before death.

Since 9/11 I have never had either dream.
I had a similar experience - when I was young, my sister and I did a ouija board one evening (all because a teacher at school said you should never do it, it was "meddling with the devil." So, like contrary kids, we were going to do the opposite) and it spelled out the name of one of our cousins that we weren't particularly close to and said he was going to die in an accident. Several years later he died in a car crash. I am still sceptical but on the other hand it's hard not to see these things as premonitions... I met a musician in Brooklyn in July - two months before 9/11 - who had written a song with Osama bin Laden's name as the chorus.
Perhaps it's just that we like to read meaning into things; or making coincidences meaningful...
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Fraid not, Guess. That item was not there before & I'd never set eyes on it. That was just one of countless incidents , but I didn't want to bore you all! :wink:
One that didn't involve me at all, concerned one of his friends that I didn't even know. Du was a musician & used to come home in the early hours. He died at 11pm on a Sunday. When told of this, this particular friend couldn't believe it. He had seen Du come into my garden at midnight, as he was passing on his motorbike. He didn't think it was strange, as he didn't know Du was even ill. At midnight, I was still at the hospital sorting things out, so I saw nothing, but his friend is adamant he saw him come home.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There are definitely unexplained things that happen in one's life that are so far from the usual it defies explanation sometimes. The house I'm in now near Pattaya was built and owned by a British guy about 15 years back. He was a motorcycle buff and bought one of those fast and huge things. A few weeks later he went under the wheels of a truck on Sukhumvit.

I never thought anything of it until about 11 months ago when we brought my baby daughter home from the hospital after she was born. We have one upstairs master suite and all other bedrooms are downstairs. I was upstairs alone as no room for crib etc. For several nights after she arrived home, I would go upstairs to shower and get this chilled feeling up and down the back of my neck and scalp. I really sensed something or someone was in the room. The same feeling I had when I used to be a military cop in an unsure situation. I felt so strongly about the feeling, one night I opened the bathroom door more quickly than usual and I swear I saw an image, not white but like black shreds of paper floating in the bathroom. I second later it disappeared.

The same week this happened I woke up one morning, opened the front door and there was the biggest lizard I've ever seen here affixed to the outer screen door. I forget the names of these things but it was a good 24" long. The week after that I went into the laundry room to start a load and there was a snake in there. A russels viper from what I've been told after I bashed it.

That was enough for my partner and I as we were (and still are) convinced that the arrival of the new baby in the house upset some kind of balance. We had 9 monks in for a few hours and nothing similar has happened since. If you knew me personally you would know I'm one who laughs at things like this, not that time, something was definitely going on in this house. Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Other than the unusual that Pete has explained.
1. I'm not knocking it.
2. I've been here long enough to realise that there are plenty of people who do believe.
3. Nothing like the above posts has happened to me anywhere, or at any time.
4. I'm not religious.
5. Som nam na. That, I do believe in.
And I really think that's the point in Thailand. "What goes around, will come around".
Seems sensible to me. Including ghosts/pii etc. If they're good spirits, there's nothing to worry about. But they're a reflection on yourself/myself, aren't they?
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

In response to your posting, Lomuamart, I agree about good & bad presences (sic!?) I'm not sure if I implied it, but at no time did I mean to suggest that my boyfriend was a bad spirit or ghost/pii. In fact I would never have used the last 2 words at all & got quite angry when some Thai acquaintances did in front of our son.
He was around (in a communicative way) for the one week of his funeral. He went after that & there has been nothing since. It wasn't scary or malevolent in any way. It was quite comforting, actually
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I wasn't suggesting you were, Dawn. My comments were adressed to Pete.
Now the wrath of Pattaya is going to descend on me for unbelieving.
Just my opinion, that's all. Thought I'd made that clear?
If I didn't, sorry.
percy
Rookie
Rookie

garlic

Post by percy »

we used to have a maid in cha-am who when it was dark she used to ride home with garlic round her neck one of her family saw a vampire once so she said weird :D
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

lomuamart wrote:Other than the unusual that Pete has explained.
1. I'm not knocking it.
2. I've been here long enough to realise that there are plenty of people who do believe.
3. Nothing like the above posts has happened to me anywhere, or at any time.
4. I'm not religious.
5. Som nam na. That, I do believe in.
And I really think that's the point in Thailand. "What goes around, will come around".
Seems sensible to me. Including ghosts/pii etc. If they're good spirits, there's nothing to worry about. But they're a reflection on yourself/myself, aren't they?
1.. OK

2.. I Think here is irrelevant. If it was just hear then these events would be less credible. The fact is that perfectly reasonable people like Dawn and Pete have experienced things that have no explanation. They just as easily could of happended in London, Timbuktu or the Aleuatian Islands.

3.. I think there is no way start to understand if you have not experienced anything of that sort.

4.. Irrelevant again. I am no expert on religion but I am not aware of any that suipport theories reagarding the spirit world or other unexplained occurences. However before Judaism and Hinduism came along virtually every religion on earth was is some way connected to the spirit world.

5.. Again I do not think that fact that we are in Thailand has anything to do with anything discussed here. This discussion could be taking place anywhere in the world.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Fair enough, Guess and all I was trying to convey is that we are in Thailand and the Thais are a rather superstitious lot.
I've spent a good bit of time up-country and seen first-hand how they react to spirits. I've never knocked their beliefs, but have asked why they react in the way they do. The best I've ever been able to understand, is that spirits aren't bad, per se. But some can be, if you have been bad to them. Hence, som nam na.
To say that I've never experienced anything like this, as I did, was a bit of a lie. I have. It's just that I've put those experiences down to other factors. Many people I've talked to back home, in the past, have insisted that I've had a "brush with the spirit world" - and not of the Jimi Hendrix experience either, before you start thinking that.
I suppose that I just won't accept it. Guess I'm a sceptic?
And yes, it can happen anywhere.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote: Som nam na. That, I do believe in.
That is very true not only for Thailand but for everywhere. I've seen it many times in one form or another and the theory does indeed keep me on the straight and narrow, most of the time.

As far as what happened here, it was just too weird, who knows. Maybe a fidigity, over protective Father (me), and one of Jaime's rejected cats in my yard rustling up the lizards and snakes. One could explain it away that way or similar. In the end, my Thai partner feels much better now that the Monks were here, and we've erected a Spirit House as there was none before and many neighbors think that could have been the entire problem in a nut shell..... no home for the ex-Englishman therefore he decided to move in with us. Everything and everyone now seems to be at peace which is good. Pete
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I take both Guess's & Lomu's points about this could happen anywhere, or it seems to happen more in LOS. Do you think it's possible that it happens just as much everywhere, but it gets reported more & accepted more here? I mean in UK, I'd be very careful who I told these experiences to, as they'd think I was nuts, but here people seem to accept it as normal. I have seen things in the UK, too, but didn't bother mentioning it.
The fear aspect can be annoying, though. For a few days after Du's funeral, my helper refused to come into my house, as she was afraid of his picture (!), then she'd only come in if her husband came with her. After about 10 days, she decided he wasn't going to come after her & she was fine. I find that amusing, now, but at the time I wasn't too happy...