Buying a new laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Re: Recommendations for new lap top please

Post by PeteC »

You can run Windows simultaneously on a Mac, although it appears not as easy as before with the new M1 and M2 chips. https://www.macworld.com/article/670954 ... n-mac.html

If you just need the Office suite, there's Microsoft 365 for Mac: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microso ... 65-for-mac
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Recommendations for new lap top please

Post by migrant »

Unfortunately Apples do not work with the tax software I use.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by buksida »

The Lenovo I got a few months ago (details on previous page) will do the trick, half decent spec and was under 20k at the time (anything equivalent with an Apple on it will be a LOT more and you'll be restricted with software). It does everything I need and I'm a heavy user.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:34 pm The Lenovo I got a few months ago (details on previous page) will do the trick, half decent spec and was under 20k at the time (anything equivalent with an Apple on it will be a LOT more and you'll be restricted with software). It does everything I need and I'm a heavy user.
Thanks!! :cheers: :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I took a look for the Lenovo spec, but it opened a 'non-existent products' tab.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

You'll have to make a new search for Lenovo i5 laptops, product lines and availability is constantly changing (as are prices).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Buying a new computer

Post by migrant »

I know there was a thread but couldn't find it.

Need suggestions as to what, and where, to buy a laptop.

I'm not a gamer beyond solitaire but do some work on spreadsheets, etc. Also watch movies on it.

Thanks!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a new computer

Post by Dannie Boy »

You’re likely to get 101 different answers and you might still not be that much wiser!!

Just as a start, take a look at some of these - this is from a UK site so not all of them may be available in Thailand, but it gives you an idea of what to look for for the equivalent of about 20,000 Baht you should be able to get something half reasonable that will handle spreadsheets without blinking and for watching movies - depending on your budget you can go for a higher or lower spec

https://www.bestproductsreviews.co.uk/b ... 9oQAvD_BwE
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I recently bought an HP Chromebook from Lazada for 5000 baht. I'm really surprised how fast it is compared to my windows laptop. It meets all my travel needs but of course has some limitations compared to a 20000 baht laptop.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The problem with looking at systems and specs elsewhere, is that the same laptop, or whatever, here inThailand, might have a different spec. I recall a few years back following a guide from the UK and selecting 2-3 to look at further, but none of them had the same spec as the same model in the UK.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

migrant wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:52 pm I know there was a thread but couldn't find it.

Need suggestions as to what, and where, to buy a laptop.

I'm not a gamer beyond solitaire but do some work on spreadsheets, etc. Also watch movies on it.

Thanks!
Really low spec job will do you fine. Do you want/need 4k movies on it? That changes the price somewhat. Cheaper to have 4k telly and whack the ol thumb drive in. But, honestly, for what you're after using it for... the price tag shouldn't exceed a few hundred quid. 10-12000 baht maybe.

I see folk spending the equivalent of 20,000+ baht just to watch movies and browse the internet through the thing. Complete waste of money and tech.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

If you're only looking at spreadsheets, "Word" documents etc. and watching movies, you're obviously not going to need anything with a high spec.

Memory-wise I wouldn't think you would need anything higher than 4GB RAM and something like 256GB SSD (you can always add more with an external drive if needed).

I guess the other questions you need to ask yourself: -

If watching movies/shows on the laptop, what screen size are you happy with? Obviously has an effect on cost and weight...
Would you want to connect to your TV to watch movies/shows or for "streaming" sites? HDMI Port required.
What other devices might you connect? Multiple USB Ports may be needed.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Pharvey, quite rightly, mentions the specs you'll likely be fine with. That's all it's about at the end of the day.

I'm guessing anything modern i3/ryzen 3 with 4GB RAM will do you just fine. Literally the lowest specs. I used i5 with 4GB for 4 years no probs, heavy use, movies etc, but recently changed to i7/16GB as I wanted to do some video editing.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

As to 'makes' my Dell has lasted me 4 years with not a single problem. Not one. And it was a year old when I bought it. It's still my movie laptop, HDMI'd to the telly. A truly reliable old girl. She's served me impeccably. :D

I hope my new HP can mirror my Dell's reliability.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks all, good advice/ideas. The one that is retiring itself is a Dell 15". I've been satisfied with it.

Thanks again!