Dates when no alcohol sold in Hua Hin

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
PeteC

Re: Dates when no alcohol sold in Hua Hin

Post by PeteC »

....."While not officially announced or clarified at yesterday’s announcement, it’s expected that July 4-5 will see alcohol sales banned, as with every Buddhist holiday. If the holidays follow prior years, the additional days will see government offices closed. But the measures are subject to change, especially considering the current Covid-19 situation. An official announcement is expected in the next few days.".......

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ju ... nd-holiday
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

Even more confusing. Is it now 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 (as in my calendar)?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pitsch wrote:Even more confusing. Is it now 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 (as in my calendar)?
As mentioned above, an announcement is expected within the next few days!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We've been under lock down for 3 months. The bars are still closed. There were weeks when you couldn't even buy from 7/11. Only this last week has the curfew been lifted and alcohol allowed in restaurants if dining.
Yet here we are having a discussion on which day (or 2) will there be a ban on alcohol next month!
Amazing.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It will be like giving a kid sweets with one hand, and taking them away with the other :?

How convenient re-scheduling Songkran to dry days - something they've hinted at for years. The New Normal?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The key word in this is "Likely" concerning purchase and consumption.

Alcohol ban for the end of Buddhist Lent this Friday (October 2, 2020)

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/al ... his-friday

An alcohol ban is looming for this coming Friday, as Buddhists mark the end of the Lent period. While officials have so far remained silent on the possibility of a ban on the purchase and consumption of alcohol, previous years have seen one implemented at the end of Buddhist Lent. The ban has not been formally announced but our Thai staff have confirmed that it will be in place.

The Buddhist Lent is when monks finish their 3 month retreat and leave the temples to travel and resume normal life. It also marks the end (in theory) of Thailand’s rainy season. This year, the end of Buddhist Lent falls on Friday, October 2, and is almost certain to bring a ban on alcohol sales, as in previous years.

This will mean bars, clubs, and other nightlife venues will need to close from midnight the night before, and cannot re-open until midnight Friday night/Saturday morning. The ban on alcohol sales will also apply to supermarkets, hotels, and restaurants.

As with similar alcohol bans, the enforcement by officials can be ‘selective’ but will attract a fine if caught.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I noticed my two local bars have closed. Last night I was told that they have to close for the end of Buddhist Lent.
However, many announcements have pointed out mistakes in the original notice and the alcohol ban is from 1201am Friday (2nd) until midnight on the same day. As has been pointed out by Pete.

Is Hua Hin following different rules?

What about bars further afield? Are they shut?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Where I am in Rayong they're just not bothering to open Friday at all. No idea if voluntary or they've been told.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel/PeteC are you saying the bars have closed a day early? Today instead of tomorrow?

I was going out tonight for my first beer in about 6 weeks - has that now been cancelled please?

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's one of many in my area. No idea about Pattaya or elsewhere. I think they could open until midnight, but seem not to be bothering.

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 3.24.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 3.24.01 PM.png (60.36 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BB, My post saying "today" may have thrown you off. I meant Friday the trend seems to be announcements they won't open at all.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Likewise in Bangsaphan.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Phew!!! I don't drink often, and was worried there may have been a last minute change. I guess HHTel's bars have closed for a different reason.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:19 pm HHTel/PeteC are you saying the bars have closed a day early? Today instead of tomorrow?

I was going out tonight for my first beer in about 6 weeks - has that now been cancelled please?
It looks like confusion set in. The original notices stated end of Buddhist Lent as being Thursday 1st. Since then the date changed to the 2nd in line with Laos.
There are several posts on the net pointing to a correction to the first announcements as now being Friday 2nd.
So are the bars outside of my area open?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Maybe call ahead or check their FB page to be sure BB.