Retired with wife under 50 - what visa for wife?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Retired with wife under 50 - what visa for wife?

Post by Big Boy »

I was talking to a chap that I see at the vet quite often today. He told me that he is on a retirement extension, but his wife had to be on an Ed Visa because she wasn't 50 yet.

I explained that his wife should be able to piggy back on the back of his visa as his dependent, but he doubted what I said was correct.

I haven't deliberately tried to mislead him, but would like to know which version of the truth is correct. Can somebody help please?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Re: Retired with wife under 50 - what visa for wife?

Post by lomuamart »

Yes. She should be able to get an O visa and then the annual extension as his dependent.
Also, only he has to show the income/savings. No need for two lots.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Didn't we go through a flurry of posts a while back about a couple, both of retirement age, each required to have the 800K in the bank? Something about a new rule associated with this? Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

Yes we did banter that topic around a while back... :popcorn:
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm pretty certain that regulation was rescinded quite quickly after a lot of negative press.
It was in force for a short while though.
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

I piggybacked my husband when I was under 50 and still do now I am over 50! It has never been questioned by an immigration officer!
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

moja wrote:I piggybacked my husband when I was under 50 and still do now I am over 50! It has never been questioned by an immigration officer!
Must be a fit man, I have difficulty carrying my girlfriend.
MareeT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MareeT »

Hi Folks
Can anyone tell me what the process is to change from retirement to marriage, so that I cam piggyback on my husband's retirement visa? Financially it would be helpful, rather leaving B1.6 mil sitting in separate bank accounts...thanks in advance.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Just apply as his dependent.
You'll have to prove your marriage but you don't apply for a marriage extension which is a different kettle of fish - ie a non Thai man married to a Thai lady.
MareeT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MareeT »

Thanks lomuamart. I shall give it a try later in the week. We are off to the embassy in Bangkok tomorrow. Fingers crossed it all goes fine. Cheers Maree
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Just a question if you don't mind regarding the wife as a dependant on my retirement extension. My wife is Australian and I've heard from different sources from people in similar situations that the foreign dependant wife has to leave Thailand every 3 months. My wife is currently on a Tourist Visa but she is looking to apply for the O Visa on her return to Oz next month so she can then stay as my dependant. If she had to leave Thailand every 3 months then this wouldn't make any sense to me as she might as well stay on a Tourist Visas. I'm thinking my sources may be misinformed. Well, I hope they are. Any expert advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Your wife will be able to get an annual extension as your dependant and then be on the same "status" as you. There will be no need for her to exit Thailand every 90 days, only report to Imm every 90 days.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Thanks lomuamart, much appreciated. I figured that would be the case. I think someone might be getting confused by which sort of visa they actually been issued with and the information they have been receiving. All good. Cheers.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

And just a follow up to the above. I basically asked the same question on the Siam Legal International live chat line and this is the response I got from them ;

'If your wife gets her one year visa extension (dependent) inside Thailand, she will just need to do visa reporting at the immigration office. If, however, she obtains this visa extension outside the Kingdom, then she will need to do border run every 90 days.'

As a dependant, I would have assumed that she would have to apply for her O Visa outside of Thailand, then once she is back in Thailand, she would then apply for the extension. I didn't realize you could also apply for the extension outside of Thailand. Sort of defeats the purpose, or are they giving me conflicting info here? Cheers.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The legal firm have got it wrong.
Extensions to visas are applied for and granted within Thailand only. As opposed to visas which are granted outside of the country.
They're talking about a multi entry non Imm O visa which is valid for a year but you only get permitted to stay stamps for 90 days. Hence having to exit every 90 days. This isn't an extension. You also get them outside of Thailand.