The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Post by buksida »

LolaBeltran wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:11 am Quick question on a small issue . . .new 3BB internet router/wi fi just installed. fiber optic. Should I turn it off when finished for the day?

And the same question in relation to the desktop speaker system "NANO" ( central box, two speakers on extensions, power button in BACK of central box and really awkward to get at. Turn off or leave on?

I remember discussions long ago about turning off or leaving on a PC but I dont remember what the tech pros recommended.

Our router stays on permanently, though I reboot it now and then when it starts slowing down.

Don't see any harm in leaving the speakers on either, though I do shut the PC off nightly and unplug everything when we go away for the weekend.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The only other small consideration is that these appliances on standby mode consume a small amount of electricity - a relatively small amount but over a year if you have a number of devices on standby then it a adds up.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I have an online subscription for Office 365 and have upgraded to family so I can also use it on my mobile system. However, after installing on my laptop I´m being asked for the product key - does anyone know where to find it please?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think you have to login with you M$ account to activate it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... mptforpkey
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

buksida wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:24 am I think you have to login with you M$ account to activate it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... mptforpkey
I actually downloaded it from my MS account page. However, when I open Word, for example, I´m asked for the product key but cannot find it anywhere linked to my account :?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

For every day browsing, I'm back using Chrome again.

In recent weeks, if I receive a Messenger message, I get hit with a hideous notification message from Edge. It's OK as a one off, but if I'm having a 2 way conversation with somebody, the Edge message notifications simply obliterate the conversation, Is there any way that I can disable Edge?

I don't want to uninstall Edge (if that is even possible) because it is a useful tool to have, especially if Chrom is playing up.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Instead of disabling Edge, just disable notifications (don't ask me how I never use Edge!) though it may be a Facebook/Messenger setting (which I don't use either).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you, that pointed me in the right direction.

Edge_Notifications.png
(159.66 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Internet Privacy Error

Post by Don East Stand »

Hi Guys, :thumb:

Hopefully you guys and girls can help me out once again!

On my laptop when trying to access my Banking websites that I have used for years without any problem, I'm now getting a "Your connection is not private" message?

This has been the case over the last week or so .......... I can access the sites no problem when using another laptop.

Yes ...... I know ..... use the other laptop, but that is not very convenient.

Any help would as always be appreciated

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Re: Internet Privacy Error

Post by PeteC »

I would try to use a VPN when connecting as a first step, perhaps a server in the country where your bank is.

Not knowing which ISP you use here, I can say TOT has been doing weird things ever since the APEC meeting ended. No idea if 3bbb, AIS etc., the same. It seems like they are messing with the Thailand Gateway again.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Or...it could be your browser. Different browsers on the 2 machines? Or, have you downloaded a browser update on the suspect machine recently?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Does it say who is the source of the message. I often get it from Avast with the option of buying extra protective software.

Is this the one?:
connection-not-private.png
(89.72 KiB) Downloaded 1089 times
https://www.pandasecurity.com/en/mediac ... t-private/
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:29 pm Does it say who is the source of the message. I often get it from Avast with the option of buying extra protective software.

Is this the one?:

connection-not-private.png

https://www.pandasecurity.com/en/mediac ... t-private/
Yes, I get the same from AVG, which is the parent of Avast.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You're correct as both have similar antivirus software and plans.

Quick fact check:
Avast acquired AVG which makes Avast the parent.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I'd imagine it's a case of changing Privacy and Security Settings in your browser. You can also disable add-ons (Avast/AVG?) temporarily or permanently.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.