Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by Khundon1975 »

2/cb
“300 miles on a charge? Hmm…
I will stay rooted in facts, and keep my petrol hybrid. And facts are boring sometimes.”

Yes, 300 miles on a charge. FACT
Even a few miles more on hot summer days as my EV has a heat pump.
The only fact that you’ve shown so far, is the fact that you’re totally ignorant about EV’s and probably about Hybrids as well.
Why would anyone even think of buying a Hybrid car is beyond me, double the weight, twice as many things to go wrong, more servicing costs etc. You’re certainly not doing anything for the environment, may just as well buy an economic diesel, you’ll get just as many mpg if not more, than a petrol hybrid.

Facts aren’t boring, but bullshit is, especially when they try to use it to FUD electrification of cars. Looks like you seem to have an ulterior motive to post such nonsense, but carry on if you must. 🤣
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I’ve not really considered the latest Chinese offerings that have hit the UK shores, but reading that article on the Seal isn’t likely to endure me to them.

I never have been a fan of large screens that operate virtually every single thing in the car, and not to have Navigation built in to me is a big no, no IMHO, although many people use Google to navigate and connect their phones to use it.

Having to search through various menus on a screen whilst driving, isn’t safe, I prefer knobs and buttons, I suppose that’s the pensioner in me. 🤗

Partly the reason we’ve stuck with Kia’s for our next 2 EV’s as they’ve had many years to get many features right in their cars and haven’t gone for the Tesla look interior.
There’s a guy got a site on YouTube called The late late brake show and he’s probably the best reviewer of EV’s that I’ve watched. Maybe worth a look at his channel to see his EV reviews.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

EV sales expected to miss target
Electric vehicle sales in Thailand are expected to miss the estimate of 130,000 units this year as prices are likely to keep changing, attributed to a price war among Chinese EV makers, says Hyundai Mobility Thailand, a subsidiary of the Korean automaker.

"The price war is an obstacle in the EV market as it causes unstable car prices, making buyers hesitant," said Wallop Chalermvongsavej, managing director of Hyundai Mobility Thailand.

"They prefer to wait and see as they don't know whether EV prices will keep decreasing."

The price war in the local market started last year when some Chinese firms cut EV prices to draw customers as competition intensified.

Some Chinese automakers also wanted to clear stock so they reduced prices, said Mr Wallop.

The unstable prices are not good for the EV industry because they do not reflect real demand from customers, he said.

Hyundai, which is marketing its EVs in the premium category, previously estimated up to 130,000 EVs would be sold this year, but now downgraded the projection to 100,000 units.

Last year EV sales in Thailand totalled 80,000.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/mo ... iss-target

I would imagine there are some bargains to be had on secondhand markets due to all the loan defaults ... but Thais won't buy secondhand and have to have shiny and new.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

"The price war is an obstacle in the EV market as it causes unstable car prices, making buyers hesitant," said Wallop Chalermvongsavej, managing director of Hyundai Mobility Thailand.
I'm all for price wars, another 100,000bt off the Atto 3 would be nice!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This is a strange one. Nissan "Kicks". Converts fuel into electric power, but never used to propel the car? I'm a bit confused about the technology and need to study it more.

https://en.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-ve ... kicks.html

https://en.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-ve ... ower-drive
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:46 pm This is a strange one. Nissan "Kicks". Converts fuel into electric power, but never used to propel the car? I'm a bit confused about the technology and need to study it more.

https://en.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-ve ... kicks.html

https://en.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-ve ... ower-drive
I saw one of those on display in Hua Hin recently and it confused me at first.
It's basically a petrol hybrid but there isn't a direct drive train from the engine to the wheels, the engine connects to a generator and the drive comes from an electric motor with batteries in between.
Similar technology has been used for decades in diesel-electric trains and ships but I've never seen it in a car.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

In the UK you can buy either a Nissan X-Trail or Qashqai with this technology - 100% electric drive but with a combustion engine to feed the battery/motor - range anxiety no longer an issue!!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^It would make more sense to me if it was a plug in hybrid with a realistic electric driving range, so you could use it for local driving as an ev and long range as a petrol car but the one I saw wasn't, it was just a hybrid.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 pm ^It would make more sense to me if it was a plug in hybrid with a realistic electric driving range, so you could use it for local driving as an ev and long range as a petrol car but the one I saw wasn't, it was just a hybrid.
I don’t know whether Nissan sell a hybrid Kicks, but the e-power version is considered a full electric car, so whilst the power comes from a combustion engine, the drive is from an electric motor/battery combination. I’m not aware whether any other car manufacturer offers the same technology?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Svolt starts EV battery production in Thailand

https://www.globaldata.com/newsletter/d ... nd_154396/

"Svolt Energy Technology Company, the EV battery manufacturer spun off by China’s Great Wall Motor, said it had begun mass production at its newly built electric vehicle (EV) battery assembly plant in Thailand.

Svolt began construction of the plant, a joint venture with local company Banpu Next (Banpu Group), last July near port city Chonburi to supply the EV industry located mainly in nearby Rayong province.

The factory has capacity for 60,000 battery modules and packs per year.

The plant would initially produce batteries for Great Wall Motor locally made Tank, Ora and Haval hybrid and battery electric vehicles (BEVs)."
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Germany records a 29% year on year drop in new EV sales.

I think unless something is done to tackle cost, EV sales will continue to drop across Europe and beyond.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote:Germany records a 29% year on year drop in new EV sales.

I think unless something is done to tackle cost, EV sales will continue to drop across Europe and beyond.
It’s happening across most of the EU

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/18 ... mUZQ%3D%3D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Still UP for the 1st quarter of 2024 ...

... "Electric cars
In March 2024, battery-electric car registrations declined by 11.3% to 134,397 units, reflecting the broader market downturn. Consequently, their market share shrank from 13.9% in March 2023 to 13% in the same month of this year. Among the three largest BEV markets, Belgium (+23.8%) and France (+10.9%) enjoyed double-digit increases, while Germany faced a significant decrease of 28.9%. The first quarter of 2024 ended with a total of 332,999 new battery-electric cars registered, a 3.8% rise from the same quarter in the previous year."

https://www.acea.auto/pc-registrations/ ... ket-share/