Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Re: Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by PeteC »

When you buy an EV does it come with a charging wire (Length?), the male end insert, and the needed base box/parts that you can have an electrician install on your house. If not, does the dealer sell them as "accessories"?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:05 am When you buy an EV does it come with a charging wire (Length?), the male end insert, and the needed base box/parts that you can have an electrician install on your house. If not, does the dealer sell them as "accessories"?
I think that all EV’s/PHEV’s will come with a cable - my car came with a cable that you can plug into a standard 3 pin wall socket outlet. At the time, MG we’re also offering a free wall box that comes already fitted with a cable that will fit your car - not all cars have the same fitting so it’s definitely not the case of “one fits all”.

Many EV car manufacturers offer some kind of wall charger incentive, so all you need to do is ask what’s available at the time of purchase.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

DB, what kind of marks would you give your MG? I think you are about 2 year into ownership now? Are you as positive as KhunLA seems to be? :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:15 am DB, what kind of marks would you give your MG? I think you are about 2 year into ownership now? Are you as positive as KhunLA seems to be? :cheers:
Well I think KhunLA is slightly more convinced than I am, but having said that I don’t regret buying the car one bit - actually just over 3 years ago now - mine is a PHEV rather than a full EV!!

By far the majority of my journeys fall within the range of the battery - when new it had a claimed range of 67km (actual about 63) and now it’s down to 65km (actual just over 60).

If my journey is within range, I always use EV mode as I prefer that it’s quieter and more relaxed, while still being sufficiently brisk. I don’t have any solar setup so charging is by plugging it into the mains - there’s not a big difference but running in EV mode is still a bit cheaper than using petrol.

For someone who regularly drives long distances a PHEV is probably not such a good idea because the purchase cost is a fair bit more and the extra weight (just over 200kg) doesn’t help the economy in petrol mode, so I’d recommend either full EV or petrol/diesel.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I was reading some BYD promotions for Thailand yesterday and they were offering a free charger installation for your home.
As for MG EVs, I'm increasingly seeing them being used as taxis here in Luxembourg which is interesting because when I first came to work here, nearly every taxi was a diesel Mercedes.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

PeteC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:05 am When you buy an EV does it come with a charging wire (Length?), the male end insert, and the needed base box/parts that you can have an electrician install on your house. If not, does the dealer sell them as "accessories"?
My EV came with the following in the UK.
1. A cable that can be used to plug into an EVSE with a plug either end that fits into charger in car and the other ende that fits into an EVSE.
2. A “Granny charger” with a 3 pin plug that can be plugged into a 240v socket and the other end plugs into the car.It can be set to charge at 6amp, 8amp, or 10amp. This replaces the EVSE but is extremely slow to charge and I’ve never used it for safety reasons. My dealership also arranged a government grant to install a fixed 7Kwh EVSE at my house, this is conditional on certain electrical installations in the property to make it safe for an EVSE to be installed.
We have only ever used the AC 7kwh EVSE to charge our car on cheap electricity and have never charged on and DC fast charger.
To be eligible for the grant you have to fit certain conditions, like having enough room off street to park your vehicle to charge etc.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Same with TH, most come granny/emergency charger & wall charger, usually with installation included. Also have seen MG EP as taxis here/TH. Make sense as originally, one of the least expensive EV with good specs.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If money was no object, I'd have one of these and a driver:

ZEEKR unveils deluxe version of its MPV with marble and curtain glass called the 009 Grand
https://electrek.co/2024/04/19/zeekr-un ... 009-grand/

"The rear cabin features genuine hand-polished marble from the Himalayas, providing a stylish ledge below the MPV’s massive 43-inch mini LED smart screen. To add to the experience inside, ZEEKR has implemented a 31-speaker Yamaha Surround Sound system. The entire rear area has been positioned to give the feel of a movie theater, including snacks."
Attachments
PSX_20240420_172152.jpg
PSX_20240420_172152.jpg (45.68 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

This should be BYDs next offering in Thailand:

BYD Yuan UP: Test drive experience in China

https://carnewschina.com/2024/04/21/byd ... -in-china/

"The BYD Yuan UP is a well-balanced compact SUV suitable for daily urban driving. I was surprised by the comfort and how much tech the little SUV offered. It is a good example of an affordable vehicle that does not have to feel cheap. Its budget-friendly cost might also appeal to individuals seeking to transition to electric cars without breaking the bank. It will only be a matter of time for it to be launched outside of China like its peers, the Atto 3 and Dolphin."
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:05 am This should be BYDs next offering in Thailand:

"The BYD Yuan UP is a well-balanced compact SUV suitable for daily urban driving. I was surprised by the comfort and how much tech the little SUV offered. It is a good example of an affordable vehicle that does not have to feel cheap. Its budget-friendly cost might also appeal to individuals seeking to transition to electric cars without breaking the bank. It will only be a matter of time for it to be launched outside of China like its peers, the Atto 3 and Dolphin."
What’s quite surprising is that the dimensions are not hugely different to those of the Dolphin - so not sure why you’d pick one rather than the other?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:26 am
STEVE G wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:05 am This should be BYDs next offering in Thailand:

What’s quite surprising is that the dimensions are not hugely different to those of the Dolphin - so not sure why you’d pick one rather than the other?
Those prices certainly aren't bad, but you'll never see them in the UK (or Europe). Whilst not possible just now, I plan to travel throughout the UK and Europe with the freedom of my own car and an EV it will not be. Of course, emissions are a huge issue and as I've said many times the Hybrid is really the only way to go - you're not reliant on electrical charging, but are able to travel locally and within "Ultra/Low Emission Zones" without paying the penalty, as well as having long range and the reliability of existing (fossil) fuel stops. This "realisation" is becoming more obvious hence the drop in EV sales worldwide - and quite frankly a good thing IMHO.

An insistence on having EV's is fair enough, but keep this to major towns and cities where there is an infrastructure to support it - (and hell, a decent public transport without overpaid fuckwits going on strike wouldn't go amiss... Sorry, separate subject :oops: :rant: ).
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:26 pm If money was no object, I'd have one of these and a driver:
If money was no object, why on God's earth would you go for one of those? Just a question... :?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:19 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:26 am

Those prices certainly aren't bad, but you'll never see them in the UK (or Europe). Whilst not possible just now, I plan to travel throughout the UK and Europe with the freedom of my own car and an EV it will not be. Of course, emissions are a huge issue and as I've said many times the Hybrid is really the only way to go - you're not reliant on electrical charging, but are able to travel locally and within "Ultra/Low Emission Zones" without paying the penalty, as well as having long range and the reliability of existing (fossil) fuel stops. This "realisation" is becoming more obvious hence the drop in EV sales worldwide - and quite frankly a good thing IMHO.

An insistence on having EV's is fair enough, but keep this to major towns and cities where there is an infrastructure to support it - (and hell, a decent public transport without overpaid fuckwits going on strike wouldn't go amiss... Sorry, separate subject :oops: :rant: ).
In the UK I have a hybrid car - a Renault Captur and although it’s more economical than a straightforward car with just an ICE, it has a very limited range in EV only mode, typically 1-2 miles before the petrol engine kicks in and then out again as the battery recharges. It’s obviously a small contribution to the environmental issue and does indeed mean that you qualify to drive in the ULEZ area without penalty and avoids any concerns about range anxiety.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:48 am In the UK I have a hybrid car - a Renault Captur and although it’s more economical than a straightforward car with just an ICE, it has a very limited range in EV only mode, typically 1-2 miles before the petrol engine kicks in and then out again as the battery recharges. It’s obviously a small contribution to the environmental issue and does indeed mean that you qualify to drive in the ULEZ area without penalty and avoids any concerns about range anxiety.
Well, the hybrids I've looked at do have somewhat more than 2 miles range in EV mode alone, but then again they also have very efficient ICEs with smaller engines these days - typically 1.3ltr but putting out a fair bit of power. The LHG's Q3 has a 1.3 petrol engine and walks through ULEZ areas, whereas my dinosaur of a diesel does not - it may be old, but it goes very, very well (unlike me).

The whole environmental impact of ICE vs EV is complete bollocks, but car emissions are always going to be key - diesel needs to go, but the more efficient petrol engines are here to stay, Hybrids all the better!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:53 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:48 am In the UK I have a hybrid car - a Renault Captur and although it’s more economical than a straightforward car with just an ICE, it has a very limited range in EV only mode, typically 1-2 miles before the petrol engine kicks in and then out again as the battery recharges. It’s obviously a small contribution to the environmental issue and does indeed mean that you qualify to drive in the ULEZ area without penalty and avoids any concerns about range anxiety.
Well, the hybrids I've looked at do have somewhat more than 2 miles range in EV mode alone, but then again they also have very efficient ICEs with smaller engines these days - typically 1.3ltr but putting out a fair bit of power. The LHG's Q3 has a 1.3 petrol engine and walks through ULEZ areas, whereas my dinosaur of a diesel does not - it may be old, but it goes very, very well (unlike me).

The whole environmental impact of ICE vs EV is complete bollocks, but car emissions are always going to be key - diesel needs to go, but the more efficient petrol engines are here to stay, Hybrids all the better!

There could be a few hybrids that have a slightly longer range, but certainly the majority that I’ve looked at typically can only drive for a couple of miles before the engine kicks in - even the class leader Toyota Yaris can’t do very much more, if at all. Of course the plug-in hybrids have considerably longer range, but as the name implies, they have to be plugged in to achieve maximum range.