Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by HHTel »

I read this recently:
Electric cars release MORE toxic emissions than gas-powered vehicles and are worse for the environment, resurfaced study warns

EVs weigh 30 percent more than gas cars, causing tires to wear out faster
The tire tread releases toxic particles 400 times greater than exhaust emissions
https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news ... re%20death.

Comments?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:39 pm
STEVE G wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:07 pm Jaguar Ending Production of Gas Cars Entirely before New EVs Arrive
Production for Jaguar's internal-combustion vehicles—the F-Pace, E-Pace, and XF—will end in June in preparation for the arrival of three new electric vehicles.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6007 ... on-ending/
Without sounding like a tw@t (yes guys, I know it's normal :roll: ): -

Number ONE - Jag is no longer British. They are owned by the scum that is TATA. You know, the one's who take UK Government handouts for a pastime whilst crippling the local and national economy.
TWO - XF is a diesel and likely screwed, F-PACE a small SUV again screwed but to be fair it was/is crap as is the E-PACE.

The sell out by Jaguar (and the UK government allowing and pushing all) was criminal. Firstly to Ford, who admittedly put in a more reliable engine. but pretty much fcuked everything else up - then selling out completely when realising their mistake!! :cuss: :banghead: :tosser:

{EDIT] I have said previously and will say again now - I am by no means against EVs, I AM pro ICE simply because I can rely on them, fix them (to a degree) and know I can refuel them pretty much everywhere within a 48Km/30 Mile radius (maths good enough for you Nereus" :duck: ). There is of course the Environmental issue - EVs are given the Golden Crown... Absolute b*ll*cks IMHO, simply look at the damage they actually do (PLEASE).
Here’s a link that shows where Jaguar cars are made - quite a few are still made in the UK https://www.jaguarnewportbeach.com/manu ... ns-jaguar/#

Pretty sure I’ve read somewhere (not this link but it will do for now https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/g427364 ... ain%20dead.) that by 2025 Jaguar will be an all EV manufacturer.

Although you can knock Tata for the way it manipulates Governments into getting handouts, the fact is that unless someone had bought out Jaguar then they could very well have gone under!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by Dannie Boy »

And just to amplify a bit more about the background to it, when Tata bought Jaguar (and separately Land Rover) it was in 2008 - Ford was on the verge of bankruptcy and the Government was our trusted Labour Party, headed by none other than the financially astute Gordon Brown!!

Hopefully Jaguar will be moving upmarket when they go all electric and make a success of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

More about Jaguars transition to EV’s

https://electrek.co/2024/03/05/jaguar-k ... nsive-evs/

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:30 am I read this recently:
Electric cars release MORE toxic emissions than gas-powered vehicles and are worse for the environment, resurfaced study warns

EVs weigh 30 percent more than gas cars, causing tires to wear out faster
The tire tread releases toxic particles 400 times greater than exhaust emissions
https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news ... re%20death.

Comments?
From the above article:
"He added that he doesn't expect there to be a major difference between the EV and gas-powered vehicles, saying that they haven't measured it yet, but expect the difference to be about 20 percent."
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As far as the UK is concerned, the price of EV’s remains considerably more expensive than their ICE equivalents - here’s an example of the Fiat 600
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... 600-hybrid Where the difference is over £9,000, although there is currently a £3,000 manufacturers discount available - still a big difference though!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Another problem for EV’s in the UK (I’m not sure how widespread it is across Europe) but car insurance is becoming increasingly difficult to get and/or very expensive

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-insur ... ir-support

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

EVs are getting even cheaper in China:

BYD launches cheaper Seagull electric car with starting price under $10,000 to fuel price war

https://electrek.co/2024/03/06/byd-laun ... 700-price/
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

So there you have it - if you want a cheap EV, move to China!!

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^That model should be available in Thailand soon.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:46 pm ^That model should be available in Thailand soon.

At what price though? Government subsidies in China are "significant" to say the least and then you have the import duties in Thailand. I understand BYD are planning on building a plant in Thailand, but assume it hasn't happened yet.
Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:52 pm So there you have it - if you want a cheap EV, move to China!!
Been there, done that - not to be repeated!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

pharvey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:53 pm At what price though? Government subsidies in China are "significant" to say the least and then you have the import duties in Thailand. I understand BYD are planning on building a plant in Thailand, but assume it hasn't happened yet.
Import duties are waived on EVs into Thailand, from China at least. They also secure a Government subsidy, which is why you see so many of them. With the financial mess Thailand is in, I am surprised they can still justify that, especially as funding is likely to be cut on fuel prices from May.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

caller wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:42 pm Import duties are waived on EVs into Thailand, from China at least. They also secure a Government subsidy, which is why you see so many of them. With the financial mess Thailand is in, I am surprised they can still justify that, especially as funding is likely to be cut on fuel prices from May.
Hadn't realised that - thanks caller :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^That's why Chinese EV's are such a good deal in Thailand.
As to a local factory, it's supposed to be operational this year.
To be able to import tax free, they have to move to local production within a certain time frame, I think it was either two or three years.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I test drove the ORA 07 recently. very nice car, good performance and range. But the (mostly) glass roof makes it hot inside.