Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by Dannie Boy »

dundrillin wrote:I test drove the ORA 07 recently. very nice car, good performance and range. But the (mostly) glass roof makes it hot inside.
Two comments -

I have an MGHS with a panoramic sunroof but with the shade in place I’ve not noticed it being particularly hot?

The price of the Ora 07 is similar to BYD’s Seal (the Seal is slightly more expensive) - if you’re considering buying, will you test drive that as well?

I’m not in the market at the moment and of course it’s all very subjective, but I prefer the look of the Seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I saw a few BYD Seals when I was back in January and it looks pretty impressive.
I like the Atto 3 but it's a bit expensive for a local runabout which is what I want. If BYD launch an Atto 2 in Thailand next year, I'll probably go for that, or failing that, the higher performance version of the Dolphin.
New models of EV are coming fast!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Incidentally, it makes a change to actually finally have some discussion on electric cars on the EV thread instead of endless posts from people who clearly have no interest in them.
It's a bit like the camping thread being full of posts from people saying they only stay in hotels, or a search for tailors shops getting a barrage of posts from people who only buy tee-shirts!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It looks like we're going to get some more choice of EV in Thailand:

PTT to introduce new two EV brands to Thailand through new companies

National oil and gas conglomerate PTT Plc has greenlighted its 100% owned subsidiary Arun Plus Ltd to establish two new companies to sell two brands of electric vehicles (EVs) – ZEEKR and XPENG – in Thailand.
https://www.nationthailand.com/special- ... v/40036202
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhinner wrote:
buksida wrote: ...<snip>...

Something to do with how the vehicle is registered, more so for conversions I guess, and now this latest crackdown on farangs "driving passengers" ... https://www.findourway4x4.com/post/newl ... thourbuild

Either way, motorhoming in Thailand is not really viable unless you have very deep pockets!
The "farangs driving passengers" thing is baseless imho, as long as it's not as a business and without a work permit.

The problems with reregistration of repurposed vehicles applies to Thais as well as foreigners.

That just leaves the driving licence restriction being limited to a class P1 (บ1). This allows the holder to drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes laden weight. Pretty much the same as in UK and Europe these days. But in UK and Europe anyone can train up and apply for a licence for a heavier vehicle, but most don't (and foreigners in Thailand cannot) and I think most camper vans for hire stay within the 3.5t limit.

Deep pockets definitely required and not for your average Thai couple in their less than comfortable retirement.

I wonder if weight limits will eventually increase to cater for BEVs.
Probably no need to worry just yet - currently the heaviest BEV is just under 3t. Image

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Yes, but could it (3.5t limit) affect camper vans based on BEV chassis?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Post by Dannie Boy »

Possibly, but as most people won’t be able to afford them, I wouldn’t worry too much.

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Dannie Boy wrote:Possibly, but as most people won’t be able to afford them, I wouldn’t worry too much.

Even in Europe?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhinner wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:Possibly, but as most people won’t be able to afford them, I wouldn’t worry too much.

Even in Europe?
Sorry I thought we were talking about Thailand?

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

One of the most interesting articles I’ve read about EV batteries.

https://electricdrives.tv/the-top-three ... lid-state/
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

BYD are knocking 200,000bt off the price of the Atto 3 from May which makes it look a bit more interesting:
Attachments
PSX_20240317_194253.jpg
PSX_20240317_194253.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm BYD are knocking 200,000bt off the price of the Atto 3 from May which makes it look a bit more interesting:
Really like the Atto 3, and a respected forum member elsewhere, test drove extensively the Atto 3 and MG ZS (our car), and liked them both. Felt ZS had just a wee bit more umph off the line, and AC performed a bit better, but both marginal. Only 2 things I would care about.

Atto 3 a better rear suspension, as when ZS goes over speed bump harder than wanting to, it has a bouncing feeling to it, so could use a better rear suspension.

Atto 3 having a few more bells & whistles and a nicer look (for him), so went with the Atto 3. Spec'd about the same. Expect the ZS to get discounted again, if not already, back to 869k from 949k. Less bells & whistles for us, the better, as those are the things that crap out on cars, and we don't use what the ZS has now.

Only 'major' difference, is the battery pack of ZS can be repaired by module, and is encased in steel. Atto 3 being encased in plastic, quite surprising design flaw, and reports of being compromised by road hazard.

Really can't go wrong with either one IMHO
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Another new model is just being released by BYD in China which is interesting me:
https://carnewschina.com/2024/03/16/byd ... 11000-usd/

It's rumoured to be coming to Thailand soon as the Atto 2, positioned between the Dolphin and the Atto 3.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Yet another spin on new battery technology although this one sounds fairly optimistic that the good news is real rather than a pipe dream!!
https://theconversation.com/a-battery-p ... how-225165
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've just seen an Atto 3 in town in this colour and trim and it's an attractive looking car. At the new prices, I'm starting to get tempted!
Attachments
PSX_20240322_133800.jpg
PSX_20240322_133800.jpg (82.53 KiB) Viewed 1528 times