Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Re: Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

Post by buksida »

Thailand hasn't invested in recycling technology and facilities, they'd rather spend money on aging Chinese submarines.

The recyclers that used to collect our stuff now don't want it because they can't get rid of it (the govt won't take it). So most of it goes into landfill (if there is one available locally), and the rest gets burnt.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

buksida wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:39 am Thailand hasn't invested in recycling facilities and technology, they'd rather spend money on aging Chinese submarines.
This is a pity because some of the new AI sorting tech is very exciting and would be a great opportunity for Thailand to become a world leader. I am also impressed that a lot of plastic is now being recycled for 3D printing. If only we had a few decent Makerspaces here...

Did you see all the plastic that is now being pulled from the GPGP?

Just imagine what they will be capable of in five to ten years.

I appreciate all your initial advice on reducing, re-using and recycling. I always take a selection of lock top boxes with me to Pai Mai night market, but I am the only person who does. Still, the vendors appreciate my effort and always fill the boxes up to the brim, meaning that I get much bigger helpings than all the other customers with their tiny plastic bags ;-)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

China pretty much banned imports of waste including solids and plastic. The Kamikatsu project is dealing with their own waste. Germany leads the way in recycling.
Thailand also recycles. Around 9 million tons in 2021. The Kamikatsu example applies to many other countries. Thailand's collection and recycling of municipal solid rate is 88%+ That still leaves a lot of mismanaged waste so still a long way to go.
There are 30+ recycling companies around Thailand.

I go back to my original post. China is tackling it's own waste which is just what Thailand are aiming for. China has a long way to go and doesn't come close to other countries' waste management:
While Chinese authorities are planning more incinerators for waste disposal, much of the country's waste still ends up in landfills, and some of it flows down rivers into the ocean.
So back to my original question. What can Thailand do regarding waste outside their borders.
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:07 am Thailand's collection and recycling of municipal solid rate is 88%+
That is very misleading - its virtually none where we are (and the same story for most rural areas ie. most of the country). If Thailand recycled nearly 90% of its plastic, it wouldn't be all over the place. :shock:

Most of it goes into landfill and a massive portion of it ends up in rivers and the sea. A look at any beach in Thailand will tell the story.

Dunno how accurate this report is, but it claims only 21% is recycled nationwide and 10% is burnt (though that is likely to be a lot higher as most Thai rural households burn their trash in areas where there is no collection or bins).
https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/th ... r-thailand
Most mismanaged plastic waste that is available for wash-off to rivers and the marine environment (defined as ‘exposed mismanaged plastic waste’) is generated in rural areas (70.1%) which have lower collection rates,
Additionally, Thailand is the 6th largest marine polluter in the world - nothing to be proud of here.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/sp ... of-plastic
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

"China is tackling it's own waste"

I assume that you have not spent much time in China, otherwise you would not believe this propoganda BS.

I suggest you pay a visit to any of the so-called recycling towns and see what hellholes they are.

Looking at the plastic pollution from a pemaculture perspective, the problem is also the solution. The country that successfully recognises plastic pollution as a useful resource and manages to utilise that resource is going to be a step ahead of everybody else.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Firstly that 88% is based on municipal waste. I never mentioned rural areas which is another story.

With regard to marine pollution:
Calculating the amount of plastics that end up in the ocean each year in kg, it found that India (126.5 million kg), China (over 70.7 million kg) and Indonesia (56.333 million kg) topped the list as the worst offenders.

This was followed by:

4. Brazil (38 million kg)
5. Thailand (22.8 million kg)
6. Mexico (3.5 million kg)
7. Egypt (2.5 million kg)
8. United States (2.4 million kg)
9. Japan (1.84 million kg)
10. United Kingdom (703 million kg)
That shows China as the number 2 culprit with Thailand in at number 5.

You're quite correct in that I've never been to China, one of the few countries I haven't visited. (on my bucket list). However, I'm only repeating various articles, some from within China. I'm still waiting for your solution on what Thailand can do about waste outside it's borders. They are trying, albeit at a slow pace.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"10. United Kingdom (703 million kg)"

That must be a typo. That would put the UK at #1 far and away!
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

With those shocking stats I'd say Thailand needs to look at things internally before worrying about what is going on outside its borders. Some suggestions:
  • More investment in recycling/clean disposal infrastructure (how about rolling some of that massive tourism revenue (or military budget) back into keeping beauty spots clean by having recyclers or industrial grade incinerators there).
  • Investment in sorting depots (nobody likes sorting trash but it gets done in other countries).
  • More research and development into plastic reuse (other countries have govt incentives for repurposing plastic projects).
  • More collection/bins in rural areas (what is collected needs to be sorted and disposed of to prevent locals from burning it or throwing it in the river/sea).
  • More education at the school level (I can't count the number of times I've seen kids throwing trash on the floor here).
  • More education at the village level (tell the people that they'll get cancer from breathing in dioxins produced from burning plastic).
  • Larger fines for dumping trash/fly tipping (yes, I know that needs a police force that actually works).
  • Investment in marine cleaning and rehabilitation (spend some of those hefty national park fees on actually cleaning the marine parks and not relying on volunteer divers to do it).
Its all pie in the sky, however, as TIT and the junta has other priorities.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I spotted that. On another report very similar, the UK is responsible for 1.7 million kg. That makes more sense.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Having been to India a number of times, it doesn’t surprise me that it heads the list - I’m surprised that Pakistan doesn’t feature as well.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:58 pm Having been to India a number of times, it doesn’t surprise me that it heads the list - I’m surprised that Pakistan doesn’t feature as well.
I think Pakistan simply doesn't know. They're missing from most international statistics for just about everything. Either that, or they simply don't want to report.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:12 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:58 pm Having been to India a number of times, it doesn’t surprise me that it heads the list - I’m surprised that Pakistan doesn’t feature as well.
I think Pakistan simply doesn't know. They're missing from most international statistics for just about everything. Either that, or they simply don't want to report.
I’m going back 25 years or more now when I worked there, but some areas of Karachi were nothing other than a cesspit!!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

And more from CNA:

Why is Thailand the World's Dumping Ground for Plastic and Waste?
MicroPlasticsJO
Novice
Novice

Plastic Pollution -

Post by MicroPlasticsJO »

Hello all,

I am the co-founder of an environmental organization working on plastic pollution named MicroPlasticsJO.

Currently based in Jordan we will be soon expanding our activities to Thailand.

I would like to get in touch with local organizations or initiatives working on ecosystems preservation or directly on the issue related to waste management/plastic pollution in Hua Hin.

If you know such an organization/initiative, thanks a lot in advance for letting me know.

Best,

Xavier
buksida

Post by buksida »

Suggest you contact Hua Hin Trash Heroes, updates are posted here and on Facebook: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29734&start=698