Grab Coming to Hua Hin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Re: Grab Coming to Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

CENTRAL GROUP INVESTS USD$200M IN GRAB
One of the country’s largest conglomerates announced Thursday it will invest more than 6.2 billion baht (USD$200 million), in Southeast Asia’s largest ride-hailing service.

The Central Group’s chief executive Tos Chirathivat said today its partnership with Singapore-based Grab would put “revolutionize” its domestic operations as an app-based, ride-hailing service into a full-fledged logistics company.

It’s the first time Grab’s Thai unit has drawn an investment partner, according to the announcement.

As part of their agreement, Central and Grab said they would collaborate on application-driven transport and delivery.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... m-in-grab/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We had a BBQ at my house yesterday evening - a dry refuge after Songkran. Several guests arrived by Grab, and prices were good/normal. At going home time, every taxi cost double the fare minus 10 Baht. Was there a Songkran surcharge applied, or has the computer gone wrong?

Did anybody else notice a change?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Soi 96 to Hilton still 190 Baht this morning :shock:

Points 48; Position 20
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Big Boy wrote:We had a BBQ at my house yesterday evening - a dry refuge after Songkran. Several guests arrived by Grab, and prices were good/normal. At going home time, every taxi cost double the fare minus 10 Baht. Was there a Songkran surcharge applied, or has the computer gone wrong?

Did anybody else notice a change?
Prices fluctuate depending on how many drivers are available at the time of booking.

I can image that by yesterday evening most Grab drivers were off duty on the few remaining drivers willing to work on the evening of Thai new year were there to mop up at inflated prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just checked again - Soi 94 to Soi 96 is coming in at 170 Baht - until yesterday evening, that was a regular 90 Baht fare.

Points 48; Position 20
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Big Boy wrote:Just checked again - Soi 94 to Soi 96 is coming in at 170 Baht - until yesterday evening, that was a regular 90 Baht fare.

My usual fare is 190, just checked in the App and it’s 310.

If Grab operate as Uber does, then supply and demand affects the price. Since it’s the holidays here I’m guessing that there aren’t the usual number of drivers on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We called several cars to my house as people drifted from the BBQ. There did not appear to be any shortage of drivers. I'm hoping it is simply a Songkran price hike, else the old tuk tuk numbers will soon come back out of the cupboard..

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Meters might be a good idea or would most distances be too short to make it profitable?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think the theory and policy behind Grab, Uber and others is that it's a part time occupation for the driver using his own personal vehicle, isn't it?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:01 am I think the theory and policy behind Grab, Uber and others is that it's a part time occupation for the driver using his own personal vehicle, isn't it?
Yes, they work on their own schedule, whenever they want to, at least in the states
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Back to normal today, so it was either a Songkran hike, or they've fixed the fault.

Points 48; Position 20
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Has anyone caught a Grab taxi upon arriving at Suvanabhumi?
If so where is the best option to select for 'arrival point'?
My sister is arriving this month and staying in a Bangkok hotel, I have advised her to use Grab and avoid the rip-off Airport taxis at all costs...
Cheers,
GN.
Nrwgreg
Novice
Novice

Post by Nrwgreg »

I know Grab from Hanoi. You have a much better chance to get a car buy setting the payment option on „cash“.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

My sister arrived on Sunday and was able to book Grab and arrange a pick-up on level 2 (arrivals). She was charged 600thb which seems expensive for the city centre. As she has never used the app before we can only conclude that a premier option was selected upon booking.
Good to know Grab will pick-up at the airport though. I may even consider using them over the airport taxis if I cannot get the airport bus to Hua Hin for whatever reason. Airport taxis are charging around 3,000thb now to Hua Hin and last time I checked - Grab was around that price.
:cheers:
GN.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

3000 baht never pay more than 2000 airport to house local guy in hua hin will organise it