Premier League 2018-2019

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: Premier League 2018-2019

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 pm
arcadianagain wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm I never thought I`d be able to write "Chelsixnil" Thank you Man C
Surely Sarri has to go. Conceded 12 goals in their last 3 away games and scored none. Something is very wrong.

:shock:
With Chelsea's/Abramovich's history with managers, I'm amazed he's still there.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Lost wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 pm Surely Sarri has to go. Conceded 12 goals in their last 3 away games and scored none. Something is very wrong.
Clearly. To most it's bloody obvious. Sarri ball might be fabulous and we started the season strong, but football managers are canny folk and once they work out a way to stop something new, that's it.

Sarri constantly say's that Chelsea are a work in progress and not yet playing football his way. He also only joined a few weeks before the season started and had to wait for several players to join up late, who played in the World Cup, so lot's of genuine reasons to not expect us to do so well, really.

But, but, but, he doesn't have a plan B. It's either his way or no way. And when his way isn't working, he has to change or we lose - Simples, but he never does. Playing Hazard as a false nine was a joke and his only other alternative is to throw Giroud on. That's it, no change to formation or style, he always changes just one or two personnel, but plays the same way. Conte changed things so effectively we went on to win the league, Mourinho, when at Chelsea (before season 3), was a master of that, pulling players off halfway through the first half if needed.

But with Sarri, it's always the same and whereas when the season started, we pressed high and played with pace, we ripped teams apart, but now we have been sussed, it's slow, slow, slow. The players look short of confidence and we are losing. Yesterday, City were fantastic, but we contributed to our own demise by trying to press City, leaving all the room behind for City to play in and defensively, we were a disaster.

It seems to me that the players have lost confidence in his methods, because he seems incapable of change when it's not working and doubts are creeping in. Recently he said he needs more time, as he took advice from Guardiola and initially concentrated on no more than 14 players as a nucleus to develop them to his style of football, but he needs the right players to do that and at the moment he has square pegs in round holes.

I see that this morning some of the media are going back to that old baloney of player power being an issue. But that's rubbish. We have a lot of dedicated pro's, who have won more than most playing different styles under different managers, but like most players - think United - they do need belief and at the moment, that seems to have gone awol.

It's a shame and I hope he turns it around.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I know next to nothing about Chelsea or the current manager Sarri, but having watched the highlights of yesterday’s game on MOTD2 this morning I was amazed at Chelsea’s non-performance which was very reminiscent of the way Man U were playing under Mourinho!!
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Maybe Chelsea should bring in Pardew as interim manager till the end of the season to get them playing to a new level ! :D
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Zidane wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:04 pm Maybe Chelsea should bring in Pardew as interim manager till the end of the season to get them playing to a new level ! :D
I very much doubt Sarri will be sacked. But the club and he both have to adapt. He has to accept that sometimes he has to play ugly, or God forbid change tactics, sit deep and use the counter attack, as we have effectively done in the past to beat City and the club genuinely needs patience for his methods to work. The trouble is, we have exciting flair players coming to the fore next season, so I do worry a little. Personally, I'd rather see the flair than 3000 passes achieving nothing.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Arsenal.

*snigger*

:lach:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:28 pm Arsenal.

*snigger*

Didnt they win their last Premiership game 2-1 away to Huddersfield?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:05 pm

*snigger*

The Europa League doesn't deserve its own thread so stuck it here.

Must be a real stinger for them having just seen Spurs wallop the leaders of the Bundesliga (biggest defeat ever on British soil in Champions League). Oh how they were gloating when they done us in the league..

:laugh:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Interesting FA Cup draw, both non-premier clubs at home and the 2 Manc clubs avoiding each other.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Lost wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:05 pm

*snigger*

The Europa League doesn't deserve its own thread so stuck it here.

Must be a real stinger for them having just seen Spurs wallop the leaders of the Bundesliga (biggest defeat ever on British soil in Champions League). Oh how they were gloating when they done us in the league..

:laugh:
Of course Arsenal fans would gloat over such a convincing win over their neighbors. It has little to do with whatever else goes on in the world of football.

I don’t recall any niggling comments from Arsenal fans when Spurs took a one-two punch out of the domestic cups.

I have said time and again that Spurs have been great for a few seasons now, but as in seasons gone by, this one will also end up without a trophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

The view of a neutral on last nights Spuds v Arsenal game.
I enjoyed it and thought a draw was a fair result.
1.Stupid challenge by Mustafi on Kane who was never going to score.
2.I didnt think Arsenals was a penalty so maybe justice was done.
3.Spuds had most of the possession but Arsenal were more direct and looked more likely to score.
4.I,ve never rated Sissoko but I thought he was the Spuds star man last night.
5.Torreiras sending off....I thought harsh.It was a clattering tackle but he made clear contact with the ball beforehand....Xhaka and Rose were guilty of worse to name but two.

Man Utd made hard work of beating Southampton,particularily the first half, but some cracking goals in the match.It was a game we would have lost under Mourinho.

Merseyside derby tonight....
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Amusing video from Chelsea about how close neighbours Fulham are:

Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Spurs playing it very smart indeed this year. Something we've not seen from them in the past. After releasing ourselves from the struggles of domestic cup duties, we have now enforced our intent of lifting the Champions League trophy by humbly bowing out of the title race, too.

#smart
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Interesting weekend in Man C and Liverpool both winning, arsenal beating Man U, Chelsea drawing and Spurs losing - probably doesn’t make too much sense in the eventual outcome, but keeps things interesting for the next few weeks. At the other end of the table, Cardiff managed another win but have they left it too late to defy logic - and probably join Huddersfield and Fulham in going down?
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

*snigger*

Are Spurs fans still sniggering?