Premier League 2018-2019

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Premier League 2018-2019

Post by Lost »

Arsenal by far the better team on the day. Dont understand a few of Poch's decisions. Leaving our best defender on the bench instead preferring to play the inexperienced Foyth and the lacking match fitness vertonghen. Then, after playing 2 huge games in the past week, waiting till the game was pretty much over to bring on fresh legs.

Weird one and one Poch definitely got wrong.

Well done the Arse though. In all fairness you should have/could have had more.

Lets hope we do the biz against Barca and stay in the Champions League.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Nice to see normal service has resumed. Spurs back into 3rd. Didn't take long.

:mrgreen:

I have to admit theres only one team I actively dislike now. Suprisingly, it's not Arsenal or another London rival. This team has become a horrible little club. Managed by a moron. A team full of egotistical prima donnas all paid disgusting salaries well above the going rate. I mean 180,000 for Shaw. 350,000 for Sanchez. The list goes on.

Pretty sure its not just me that despises United now. There is not a single positive to say about them. I wish them all the very worst.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:10 am Nice to see normal service has resumed. Spurs back into 3rd. Didn't take long.

:mrgreen:

I have to admit theres only one team I actively dislike now. Suprisingly, it's not Arsenal or another London rival. This team has become a horrible little club. Managed by a moron. A team full of egotistical prima donnas all paid disgusting salaries well above the going rate. I mean 180,000 for Shaw. 350,000 for Sanchez. The list goes on.

Pretty sure its not just me that despises United now. There is not a single positive to say about them. I wish them all the very worst.
I don’t know about wishing them the worst, but I certainly don’t think they play attractive football - all of their main competitors - City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal all play much more attractive football - albeit that many of their stars are also “overpaid”, I don’t think any of them are worth even 50% of what they are paid but that’s today’s game for you!!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Well done to Chelsea yesterday for knocking city down a peg. Spurs only 6 points off the top now. Considering we've played 10 away games already due to the stadium situation, we are doing remarkably well.

Add that to not a single player purchase this season...

Great time to be a Spurs fan right now. Good solid English backbone to the team, young and not going down the route of buying success. *Cough* Chelsea *Cough* City *splutter* United *cough..* Liverpool...

:D
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Lost wrote:Well done to Chelsea yesterday for knocking city down a peg. Spurs only 6 points off the top now. Considering we've played 10 away games already due to the stadium situation, we are doing remarkably well.

Add that to not a single player purchase this season...

Great time to be a Spurs fan right now. Good solid English backbone to the team, young and not going down the route of buying success. *Cough* Chelsea *Cough* City *splutter* United *cough..* Liverpool...

:D
Problem here is that although this current Spurs team is indeed great, they are yet to have won anything and stand only a realistic chance of winning a league cup/FA Cup.

Very soon will come pressures of higher wage bills, without which key players will be looking elsewhere.

The new stadium should bring in extra match day revenue but I wonder how the financing of the build has been structured and whether short term cash flow will be affected by debt repayments.

The point being whilst it’s great to see your team genuinely competing for a top 4 spot season after season, you have to wonder whether they have hit their ceiling.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Well done Southampton. Did something noone has done for four months - beat Arsenal! Really good game with the Saints deserving winners...just.

Onto Liverpool vs United next. As much as I hate united, I'm hoping they can get a result against pool. Used to like Liverpool but they are just another team trying to buy trophies these days.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:33 pm Well done Southampton. Did something noone has done for four months - beat Arsenal! Really good game with the Saints deserving winners...just.

Onto Liverpool vs United next. As much as I hate united, I'm hoping they can get a result against pool. Used to like Liverpool but they are just another team trying to buy trophies these days.
Well , it seems that you didn’t hope enough as Liverpool were clear winners - other than Leicester in recent years, hasn’t it always been a case of the “big” teams buying trophies? Back to United, they looked very lack-lustre and unless they can turn things around, look destined to finish below any European qualification position and with it, maybe an exit of Mourinho?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:56 am
Lost wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:33 pm Well done Southampton. Did something noone has done for four months - beat Arsenal! Really good game with the Saints deserving winners...just.

Well , it seems that you didn’t hope enough as Liverpool were clear winners - other than Leicester in recent years, hasn’t it always been a case of the “big” teams buying trophies?
Unfortunately that is the case, which is why it will be ever so sweet when Spurs do win a major trophy as we will have done it the right way. City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United are just money clubs now. No soul left. Plastic supporters. Buy success. No integrity. Foreign.

This year or the next (or the next after that) Spurs will be champions. An English team will lift the trophy again one day. :mrgreen:
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Liverpool showed the gulf in class yesterday, clear winners against a really poor Man U side. It must pain Fergie to even go there and watch them ‘play’ these days. Morinho is a despicable character and it’s reflected in his style of play, can’t blame the players not wanting to play for him.

Besides Arsenal’s win against Spurs, they have been getting away with some shoddy performances so yesterday’s result didn’t really come as a surprise.

In fact I’d say only City seem to be playing great football right now, even Liverpool in the main have been scraping through games and Spurs continue to punch above their weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:21 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:56 am

Well , it seems that you didn’t hope enough as Liverpool were clear winners - other than Leicester in recent years, hasn’t it always been a case of the “big” teams buying trophies?
Unfortunately that is the case, which is why it will be ever so sweet when Spurs do win a major trophy as we will have done it the right way. City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United are just money clubs now. No soul left. Plastic supporters. Buy success. No integrity. Foreign.

This year or the next (or the next after that) Spurs will be champions. An English team will lift the trophy again one day. :mrgreen:
There’s nothing I’d like to see more, than a predominately “English” team win the Premiership - Leicester proved it is possible even though I think Spurs will find it hard to achieve over the next few years
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think the malaise at United runs deeper than just being down to the managers and even Fergie was relying on an aging and fading squad at the end. Clearly Mourinho is a combative figure, but many of those that have played for him have nothing but praise for the man.

When Matic left Chelsea to join up with Mourinho, he said that he could be difficult as a manager, but still wanted to play for him. Hazard has openly said he would be happy to play under Mourinho again.

When Mourinho talks of moulding a team into his ideal, he means choosing players with the right talent and aptitude, not talented but flaky players like Pogba, hence the gap between what he wants and what he gets. Maybe that's a weakness in his management? It's certainly evidence of him not having too much of a say on who he gets. When he was at Chelsea, he personally flew to Spain to persuade Costa and Fabregas to join Chelsea and we won the league.

And he makes mistakes, that's for sure, only Guardiola seems immune to that, even Klopp took time to wake up to the fact he had a wonky keeper and defence and Mourinho's biggest error must have been letting De Bruyne go. He let Mata go as well, who was hugely popular at Chelsea, so much so, Mourinho was forced to explain his reasoning, which was to do with work rate. Mata sure does a lot more tracking back now than he ever did before!
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:06 pm Mourinho sacked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46603018
A sad day for the other big teams in Premier League. Mourinho had the potential to keep Man U in the drains for many years to come, now sadly they will find a new manager and the potential for improvement and optimism can come back to the club :| :(
YNWA
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:06 pm Mourinho sacked
What a relief!!!!!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

It's not a bad "Golden Handshake" he's getting either!! The BBC mentions £18 plus million (or that's what it'll cost MU), other sources claim Mourinho will take away £22 -23 million!! Un-bloody-believable! :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

Must have been a well negotiated contract!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.