Tax residency in Thailand and taxing overseas income

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Tax residency in Thailand and taxing overseas income

Post by Dannie Boy »

Sounds interesting - I’m away on the 6th May but hopefully at least one Hua Hin Forum member will be able to attend and pick up anything important to share on the Forum.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Having checked the UK's double taxation agreement with Thailand, and as all of my income comes from the UK, I am really not bothered about this new taxation. All I am waiting for is if I am required to report details of my UK income, where and how do I do so?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree, that's where I'm standing at the moment also.

I can see there will be a lot of people from the UK who will fall into grey areas though. I did consider going to the talk, but decided there were others whose need to know would be far greater than mine. With the limited audience capacity, best I let others go instead.

I'm sure that those of us paying tax already will be told soon enough what proof we need to provide.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm Having checked the UK's double taxation agreement with Thailand, and as all of my income comes from the UK, I am really not bothered about this new taxation. All I am waiting for is if I am required to report details of my UK income, where and how do I do so?
I agree. I only have UK income, and that falls below the UK tax threshold, so I was asked a few years ago not to bother filing a tax return so I don't. I just need to know how Thailand will handle this; what proof they will ask that I am 'taxable but not needing to pay' in the UK as I have no proof. It looks as though my combined income plus state pension would attract some small tax payment in Thailand.

It might mean the minor pain of filing a UK tax return again in future, which I was glad to be free of, or some small 'creative account reporting'. We'll see, I don't want to up stumps and move to to the Philippines!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am
caller wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm Having checked the UK's double taxation agreement with Thailand, and as all of my income comes from the UK, I am really not bothered about this new taxation. All I am waiting for is if I am required to report details of my UK income, where and how do I do so?
I agree. I only have UK income, and that falls below the UK tax threshold, so I was asked a few years ago not to bother filing a tax return so I don't. I just need to know how Thailand will handle this; what proof they will ask that I am 'taxable but not needing to pay' in the UK as I have no proof. It looks as though my combined income plus state pension would attract some small tax payment in Thailand.

It might mean the minor pain of filing a UK tax return again in future, which I was glad to be free of, or some small 'creative account reporting'. We'll see, I don't want to up stumps and move to to the Philippines!
Do you get a P60 from your pension provider showing your income (and any tax paid)?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think what you are hinting at is the 'grey area'. If your P60 e.g. shows you earn/pay tax on £10K, but you are bringing £16K in to Thailand each year, the additional £6K hasn't been taxed in year, so will be liable for Thai taxation.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying, or crediting Thai revenue with too much ability. I think if they are saying wait until July to hear the truth, then we should wait. 2nd guessing until any official announcement will only cause unnecessary stress. Scare mongers will revel in it. I used to get stressed by these things, but the solutions to date have always been fair/reasonable.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: