Treatment of Farangs at Hua Hin Hospital

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Treatment For Farangs At Hua Hin Hospital

Post by migrant »

BB, under the circumstances it sounds as if you did the best you could. I wonder what his doctor will say? Over the years (not in Thailand) I've had doctors stand up to admin, and insurance, types and argue it out and winning. Few and far between in the states though, hopefully there are a couple here in Thailand and we can find them.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hmm, I am afraid that if it had been me they would have ended up needing two beds, one for my friend and the other for the dickhead clerk!

There is far too much of this BS going on everyday in many different places, where some upstart seems to think that they are the total dictator! It is exacerbated by most Thai's just accepting whatever is handed out to them by such ***holes without question!
They do it to me and they WILL hear some choice Farang words regardless of WHO they are! :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:I am probably Hua Hin Hospital's biggest fan on this forum. I have never had anything but good service. However, a good friend was at the Express Clinic yesterday, and was told he would have to stay for a few days. There wouldn't be a private room until today, so would he mind staying on a public ward for one night? He agreed, and told me what was happening.

Knowing that he wasn't completely au fait with the workings of HHH, I went straight down with my wife to make sure he was settled OK.

When we got there, our friend was on a trolly, parked in a corridor, next to the waste bins near the toilet. It's OK, I know this ward, it's not very nice, but the staff do their best under circumstances. In fact the nurses are lovely and work very hard.

We were there about 10 minutes when what we thought was a doctor (white coat, etc) came to our friend and explained there were no private rooms, and he would have to stay where he was. My friend said no problem, he just wanted to get to the bottom of his problem. The 'doctor' who turned out to be admin then said he needed a private room. OK, put him in a private room - there aren't any.

He then started going on about Bangkok and San Paulo Hospitals having plenty of private beds (I should point out at this point that my friend is fully insured, and payment was not a problem, but the clerk did not know that). My friend explained that he wanted continuity - his doctor was at HHH, he was aware of the private room situation, but he needed to be treated here.

Then the cherry on the top. The admin said the hospital was busy and he needed the beds for Thais and there wouldn't be a bed for him.

Not happy, my friend agreed to a transfer. Mrs BB was called to a window on the ward (it's only now we realise it's admin and not a doctor). He tells my wife I will need to transport my friend to San Paulo in my car. I'm called to the window and asked if I will take my friend. I simply tell the clerk to go and look at my friend. Flat on his back, and had to keep his feet above his heart - HHH doctor instructions. Short of putting him in the rear bucket, how could I do it? I said he needed a professional ambulance transfer.

Without checking, he said HHH ambulances were too busy. We'd hit an impasse. He then said a SP hospital ambulance could do it, but cost would be 3,000฿. I said no bother, just do it (keeping calm but blood starting to boil). The clerk disappeared (I presumed to arrange an ambulance). He came back and handed Mrs BB a slip of paper with a phone number on it. He then said we had to arrange the ambulance. I pointed out it was his patient, and they needed to transfer him, not me. I then received a typical Thai reaction - he started shuffling papers in front of him, and I wasn't there.

Mrs BB called the ambulance (actual cost 1,000฿) with the help of a nurse, and my friend was transferred. Of course, no handover, and all of the diagnostic outpatient work at HHH is lost, and it's back to square 1 at SP. I wonder what the Express Clinic doc thinks of that?

Whilst I'm sure the clerk thinks he's done a wonderful job preserving the beds for Thais, his actions came across as racist to me. Expecting me to transfer a patient on his ward in my truck was ridiculous, and refusing to call an ambulance........... well. I'm lost for words.

This incident has worried me a lot. I have seen my future medical care at HHH. They even have a clinic there, where they openly charge Farangs extra to encourage us. Treatment is superb, but what happens if, when I need it, private rooms are full?

Totally out of character, but worrying at the same time.

The final insult. Mrs BB had to pay a HHH bill before the SP ambulance was allowed to depart - line 1 was for his room and food!!!
The Thai Chinese Director of SP will be paying that white coated Admin guy a big fat commission to move insured(or rich enough) patients from HHH to SP.

The fact that he wore a white coat(and isn't a Doctor) tells you everything you need to know.

This also ties in with BBs valid point that this is not the normal experience here.. he was on a fishing expedition and HHH staff can do little about it.

I've had SP swear blind to me they are 20% cheaper than BKK HH(for several procedures) and they're not... they are 30% more expensive!

Caveat Emptor! Not easy when youre sick tho....

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

lomuamart

Re: Treatment of Farangs at Hua Hin Hospital

Post by lomuamart »

As above, exactly.

I could recount a story that happened to me about 17 years ago. But I won't bother.

Welcome to the medical hub of the world - ie give me your money.

It's pointless to even consider that there's a better place in the world for medical treatment and come on, all us expats will be paying for some it soon one way or the other. Thailand is the best.

From a country that is sadly lacking in any social care, which can't even collect their taxes - well that's it really.

Thailand is "Disneyland". Unfortunately, pretty much most non-Thais will be caught up in this failing and as always will be expected to pay.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

In all fairness, putting their own people before foreigners is commendable. We could do with a dose of that in the Uk.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lost wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:37 pm In all fairness, putting their own people before foreigners is commendable. We could do with a dose of that in the Uk.
I actually have no problem with that, but please clarify the policy. If my friend was not wanted, why was he referred to the ward? Time (and a little discomfort) could have been saved if the situation was explained from the outset. HHH encourage Farangs to their Express Clinic. Maybe the Express Clinic needs to talk with the rest of the hospital to avoid such debacles.

Incredible he was charged for room and food that they weren't prepared to provide, and not allowed to depart HHH until the cash had been handed over. Obviously the bean counters were not aware of the hospital's policy.

They criticise Farangs for not paying, but no mention of taking Farang money under false pretences.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask in the UK.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Last week, for the first time, I had a similar attitude expressed toward me. I went for an eye exam for Glaucoma, HHH has the only machine in HH that can test for it, and the staff was uniformly rude to me and pleasant to the Thai patients. My wife was with me and noted the attitudes so it wasn't just my perception. To a lessor extent, it's been happening in retail shops, where the clerks act as if they were doing you a favor by taking your money. My wife has caught them twice charging us for items not purchased and at Makro for 3 of the same items, when we purchased 1 and no apology offered.

I've only been here 6 yrs. and in that 6 yrs. I've seen the country deteriorate in many ways. I envy those who came here 10+ yrs. ago and can remember when Thailand was a pleasant place to live. If you're wealthy, I suppose it would be a different story. Drivers, house keepers, cooks, gardeners, some one to do the shopping, best restaurants, etc. But for the average foreigner, it's become a source of frustration. Perhaps it's the way of the current world, as I hear from friends in other countries, who express similar levels of frustration and anger. It's become a them/us world. End of rant.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote:Last week, for the first time, I had a similar attitude expressed toward me. I went for an eye exam for Glaucoma, HHH has the only machine in HH that can test for it, and the staff was uniformly rude to me and pleasant to the Thai patients. My wife was with me and noted the attitudes so it wasn't just my perception. To a lessor extent, it's been happening in retail shops, where the clerks act as if they were doing you a favor by taking your money. My wife has caught them twice charging us for items not purchased and at Makro for 3 of the same items, when we purchased 1 and no apology offered.

I've only been here 6 yrs. and in that 6 yrs. I've seen the country deteriorate in many ways. I envy those who came here 10+ yrs. ago and can remember when Thailand was a pleasant place to live. If you're wealthy, I suppose it would be a different story. Drivers, house keepers, cooks, gardeners, some one to do the shopping, best restaurants, etc. But for the average foreigner, it's become a source of frustration. Perhaps it's the way of the current world, as I hear from friends in other countries, who express similar levels of frustration and anger. It's become a them/us world. End of rant.
Totally fair rant in truth! I've noticed a big change since first trip in '99 and a significant attitude change in last 5 years.

For record, I have no qualms about paying money for health care, and I definitely do not expect the same price as nationals. That said BBs comments are fair as his buddy was downright shafted.

I just want(or perhaps naively expect) them to be honest and transparent with the pricing. Like I say some people would innocently believe the SP hospital manager when he emphatically states they are 20% cheaper etc

As the saying goes "Don't p*** down my back and tell me it's raining!"

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I can relate to that. I've been in Hua Hin for some 20 years. When I arrived nobody had heard of the place. No McDonald's, Burger King, Market Village, Blueport, Bangkok Hospital and very little traffic. I've seen some massive changes.

Having said that, as the thread is about Hua Hin Hospital, in those days it was nothing more than a shack with very limited facilities. You either went to the Petcharat Clinic (closed down as being superfluous) or for anything more serious, to Petcharat main hospital in Petchaburi.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

thecolonel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:04 pm
handdrummer wrote:Last week, for the first time, I had a similar attitude expressed toward me. I went for an eye exam for Glaucoma, HHH has the only machine in HH that can test for it, and the staff was uniformly rude to me and pleasant to the Thai patients. My wife was with me and noted the attitudes so it wasn't just my perception. To a lessor extent, it's been happening in retail shops, where the clerks act as if they were doing you a favor by taking your money. My wife has caught them twice charging us for items not purchased and at Makro for 3 of the same items, when we purchased 1 and no apology offered.

Totally fair rant in truth! I've noticed a big change since first trip in '99 and a significant attitude change in last 5 years.

For record, I have no qualms about paying money for health care, and I definitely do not expect the same price as nationals. That said BBs comments are fair as his buddy was downright shafted.

I just want(or perhaps naively expect) them to be honest and transparent with the pricing. Like I say some people would innocently believe the SP hospital manager when he emphatically states they are 20% cheaper etc

As the saying goes "Don't p*** down my back and tell me it's raining!"

i had no complaint about the pricing. I think it was 1700 Bht. for the testing. If they had the machine at Bangkok hospital it would be 4x's that amount. It was the rudeness that got to me.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 am Of course, no handover, and all of the diagnostic outpatient work at HHH is lost, and it's back to square 1 at SP. I wonder what the Express Clinic doc thinks of that?
Credit where credit is due. I was with my friend yesterday during the SP doctor's visit. I listened intently to what she was saying, and she was totally up to speed with everything that had happened at HHH in my friend's case. So continuity was maintained, and it was NOT back to square 1. An occasion where I was delighted to be proved wrong.

My friend is well on the mend and should be released later today.

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:
Big Boy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 am Of course, no handover, and all of the diagnostic outpatient work at HHH is lost, and it's back to square 1 at SP. I wonder what the Express Clinic doc thinks of that?
Credit where credit is due. I was with my friend yesterday during the SP doctor's visit. I listened intently to what she was saying, and she was totally up to speed with everything that had happened at HHH in my friend's case. So continuity was maintained, and it was NOT back to square 1. An occasion where I was delighted to be proved wrong.

Good to hear BB....

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

At which point he should go back to HHH and invite that supercilious ***k to go with him for a walk to the car park! :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:sfight:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Hua Hin Hospital my 1st Experience
- went to HHH on 5th floor for a mammogram check, the lady said I had to see a doctor first and gave an appointment for the following week
- on the date of the appointment I waited over an hour for the doctor, he spoke little English, and didn't bother to examine me, consultation lasted 5 minutes. At the front desk had to pay 410 baht and was directed downstairs to get an appointment for xray and ultrasound, which I was given for the next day at 3:25pm, with a paper on which the lady wrote the cost of 3500 baht, yet it was printed 1700 baht, when I enquired she just crossed the amount saying it was wrong (I assumed it was thai price)
- so the next day I arrived at 3:15pm
after 3/4 hour wait I am called and asked to go to the 5th floor to pay. Went there and was asked to pay 4210 baht (??), I showed the paper which said 3500 baht but the lady replied that it was more because of overtime. What overtime she could not explain and said it was like that.
- so back downstairs, waited well over 1 hour before being called for the xray, after which waited another good hour for the ultrasound. The waiting was not only long (although there was only 3 persons in front of me) but unpleasant as very hot, no aircon or fans.
- had to go back to the 5th floor to get an appointment to see a doctor for the results, another 410 baht
Got there at 3:15pm out at 6:00pm!! And at the end of the day I was short of 5030 baht and spent nearly 3 hours waiting, felt frustrated and cheated. In fact not much use to have an appointment as it is 1st come 1st served.
Just wanted to share my deceitful experience, shan't bother to go there again unless I really have no other choice.