Junta charges Thai rap group with computer crimes

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Junta charges Thai rap group with computer crimes

Post by buksida »

Anti-junta rappers face charges under Computer Crimes Act
The Rap Against Dictatorship (RAD) group faces charges under the Computer Crimes Act after their single “My Country’s Got…” slamming military dictatorship went viral.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30357295

Anti-military dictatorship rap song tops iTunes downloads in Thailand
An anti-military dictatorship rap song has topped Thailand's download list on iTunes after police and the government threatened legal action against the Rap Against Dictatorship (RAD) group.

The Prathet Goo Mee (My F...king Country's Got...) went to the top of Thailand's iTunes download list on Saturday morning to the cheers of RAD who posted a message to thank its fans. The music video was uploaded to YouTube on Monday. By Saturday morning, the YouTube clip was viewed more than 5.518 million times and received over 297,000 likes and over 4,900 dislikes. It also drew over 35,000 comments. The video shows different rappers singing about social and political issues, especially those surrounding military coups.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30357314

Police threaten young rappers
Controversy over a music video, "Prathet Ku Mee" (Which is My Country), which has been perceived as an attack on the military government, is heating up after police threatened to take legal action against the artists and the production team.

Police claimed the content of the song damages the country's image and likely violates the Computer Crimes Act.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politi ... ng-rappers

Chaturon warns govt against arresting rap group
Former deputy prime minister Chaturon Chaisang on Saturday warned the government against arresting a rap group that released an anti-coup song.

Chaturon, a leading member of the Pheu Thai Party, said if the Rap Against Dictatorship (RAD) group was arrested, it would backfire against the government to the point where the government could fall.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30357317
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Junta charges Thai rap group with computer crimes

Post by STEVE G »

....the YouTube clip was viewed more than 5.518 million times and received over 297,000 likes and over 4,900 dislikes.
With those numbers, it seems that any dissatisfaction involves more than just the rap group.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Indeed. I'm surprised they didn't just block it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Chaturon, a leading member of the Pheu Thai Party, said if the Rap Against Dictatorship (RAD) group was arrested, it would backfire against the government to the point where the government could fall.
I would be interested to know how "the government could fall" when no such institution exists!
Little diktators are NOT a "government! They should go and complain to their Mothers, that's what other little children do!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

The link to the song ?
buksida

Post by buksida »

A YouTube rap video criticizing the junta had been watched more than 6 million times Saturday after several officials made threats against the artists.

Views of the 5-minute music video “My Country’s Got” (“Prathet Ku Mee”) spiked after its strong lyrics triggered vows of prosecution from authorities, including the computer crime unit which said yesterday it had launched an investigation because the song “defames” the country.

He said the unit was ordered to conclude the probe as soon as possible because the video “has hugely impacted Thailand,” and that the group faces five years in jail and a 100,000-baht fine if convicted under the Computer Crime Act. He said those sharing it face the same punishment.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... e-threats/
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

How can they punish 297,000 people who shared this good rap. ? Thai prisons are full, maybe they will put them in football stadiums alike Chilean dictature.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Actually I think all rap artists, and fans, should be imprisoned :duck:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Haven't been charged with anything..................yet
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

migrant wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 pm Actually I think all rap artists, and fans, should be imprisoned :duck:
I am not at all a fan of rap, but can be the start of a revolution.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

europtimiste wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:38 pm
migrant wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 pm Actually I think all rap artists, and fans, should be imprisoned :duck:
A revolution against who, by whom?
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Felipesed1 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:35 pm
europtimiste wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:38 pm
A revolution against who, by whom?
Stupid question ? A revolution by people, think at French revolution, Russian revolution, Nepal revolution, and and....
Against whom ? The dictators, an oppressive regime.......
You recently read that the new army chief said that another coup is possible.......Against whom ? Maybe against the actual Junta.
Do not forget that in world history a junta has been very often overthrown by another coup. Thai army is not united. Think at militars green outside and red inside. WATERMELONS.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

europtimiste wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:47 pm The link to the song ?
Just search on youtube. Not difficult!

My daughter just listened to it and says that everything said is soooo true!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

HHTel wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:13 pm
europtimiste wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:47 pm The link to the song ?
Just search on youtube. Not difficult!

My daughter just listened to it and says that everything said is soooo true!
I found it and found even the English translation.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

I especially like this line from the song....

"My country preaches morals but has a crime rate higher than the Eiffel [Tower]."