Buying a Car

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
lomuamart

Buying a Car

Post by lomuamart »

If you had 800K THB and wanted to buy a car which would you go for?
The boot capacity must be able to take at least one set of golf clubs. That's all I need although my wife might think bigger.
The normal stuff about economy etc but we're never going to drive very far. It'll just be for running around town and ferrying me to golf courses - if I'm lucky.
I appreciate this is a very nebulous question but I've never bought a car in my life. The range of options are frightening.
Any advice for a novice would be appreciated.
PeteC

Re: Buying a Car

Post by PeteC »

Considering all the factors you mentioned including price, experience, ease of operation etc., I would go for a Toyota Yaris. Even the top model is well below your target price. You also won't have to deal with dodgy dealers trying to rip you off as Toyota has a rep for being dependable and honest. Toyota reliability and quality is well documented. Google Toyota Yaris as there's plenty to look at. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Your entry level, 4 cyl, 1.5L enginw, auto trans (CVT) tried and tested, 'Made in Thailand' start at about ฿600k +/-

Toyota Vios / Varis (hatchback) ... owned, good car
Mazda2 Sedan / hatchback ... own now, good car
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I wouldn't buy a new car in Thailand without first having a good look around at a used one. Good advice concerning Toyota and the following has a good reputation.

https://toyotasure.com/Home/Home.aspx?u ... PeEALw_wcB
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
mudcat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mudcat »

Or you can just deposit the 800K in a bank and receive a one-year retirement extension from your local immigration office.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

mudcat wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:48 pm Or you can just deposit the 800K in a bank and receive a one-year retirement extension from your local immigration office.
Yes, I suppose so but it won't get me a car. You see, after 20 years here, I would quite like both :rasta:
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

One of my favorite things to do is car shopping......on average when I was working I bought a new car every eight months. On for me and one for the Mrs. In the 12 years we've been retired I'm down to a Ford Escape in 2006 and a Mazda 2 sedan in 2016. The Mazda 2 was the base model but still well equipped with the necessities, a 1.3 litre motor and Automatic Trans. I've been delighted with it's durability and generally maintenance free operation. We paid 764k Baht for it and it costs me about 600 every ten days or so for gas. Mtce for most cars nowadays is down to once a year if you don't drive much (we do just under 10K a year). Since you've never purchased a car does your wife drive? This will be important as you will want a small suv probably if she does. In Thailand we have an abundance of trucks and large SUVs.....my wife wants our next car to be back to the size of the four Ford Escapes I have bought her previously. Too bad you can't get one here any more or my shopping would be finished before it started.

I'll give you several suggestions, first for smaller cars.....easier to get around, park, accident avoidence etc. Those would be in order of cheapest to most expensive. All would be good ibuys.

Mazda 2 sedan or hatchback, Toyota Yaris, Toyota Yaris ATIV....saw a really cute one yesterday at Tesco in Tha Yang. Honda Jazz. Cheaper cars could be Suzuki, Mitsibushi, MG but I would not personally buy any of them.....a bit too cheap.

Small SUV's....the range is more like 1.1 million to 1.7 so maybe not in your price range. Look at Mazda CX 5, Nissan X-Trail, Honda CR-V and HR-V.

Have fun and take your time shopping. End of the year is a good time but the models are mostly finished in thier run and 2019/2020 cars will be out fairly soon.....and there are some real beauties coming down the pike in 2020.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I personally would only buy new. The prices of used, I find a bit silly high, and if most houses, townhouse show the locals attitude toward maintenance, then that's the second reason.

Which is strange, as 25+ yrs of car purchases in the USA, and I only bought 1 new, and that was a truck for my business. Though here, in less time, have bought 3 new already, and considering another, until common sense kicks in, as I simply don't drive much any more.

Here's a good site to shop by the numbers, before hands on, to know what you're buying, before seeing all glossy under the bright lights.
https://www.zigwheels.co.th/en/compare-cars

Don't expect too much haggling, below MSRP, unless going top end, all options. They really don't budge much. Not like the west car dealers.
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Honda city, great cars. Very reliable and large boot for the size of car. We had one for 5 years and it never failed.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Wow.
Thanks to all of you with the detailed information. Lots to look at tomorrow. I appreciate it.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

With your budget I would buy this one.....Had one for 9 years..best car I ever had..!!
https://www.taladrod.com/w40/iCar/CarDe ... id=2163056
buksida

Post by buksida »

Looked and tested a few in recent months - the one that impressed the most in terms of spec level, price and the drive was the Mazda 2.

If we didn't have the kids and it was just the two of us I would have bought one, we need something bigger though.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Agree, and we have had the M2 sedan for about 7 yrs now. The hatchback, though I like the look better, sacrifices trunk / boot space, along with when we bought, our daughter lived with us, and sedan adds quite a bit more crunch space, if rear-ended.

Fold down rear seats, so will accommodate clubs, and good for 2 people, scooting around town locally, if no rear passenger and or shopping at same time. Plus, smaller for parking.

Been peeking at the Nissan Note, need to test drive, as not sure if 3 cyl will work with me, though I've slowed down considerably, and don't clock the highway kms like I use to.

The N. Note, giving up a bit of horsepower and torque, though still about the same weight.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Again, thanks for all the info.
It will be put to good use once we start looking properly and test driving.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

They don't seem to be big on test driving here, my experience anyway.

Which ever you chose, especially if 3 cyl entry level, suggest you lease one for at least 1 day, and put it through it's paces. May reinforce, or turn you off your decision.

As a drive around the block doesn't help a whole lot.