Electricity and Water Charges

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Electricity and Water Charges

Post by StevePIraq »

The following was posted on another thread

"The law requires landlords to charge electricity and water fees at the standard rates set by utility authorities. For electricity, it is 3.90 baht a unit and tap water 7 baht a unit. One tenant in Khon Kaen, who asked not to be named, welcomed the move, saying it will stop tenants from being taken advantage of."

All well and good but who do you report overcharging to and will it be anonymous. I can just imagine a landlords action once he finds out you dropped him in it. Go find another place to live.

I am presently charged 5 baht for electricity and 14 baht for water, both well in excess of standard rate.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Re: Electricity and Water Charges

Post by buksida »

I believe condos and private developments can charge what they like. If you have a direct supply and bought your meter from the government directly you'll get the proper rate, but that too is flexible. It is a sliding scale though, the more you use the higher the unit rate (totally opposite to the logical way of doing things).

Our bills fluctuate wildly at certain times a year, even when we make a conscious effort to use less the bill ends up being higher ... Just checked the last one for our small bungalow and it worked out at 3.3 baht per unit (not including the tax) - our house where we live next door the unit price was 3.94 baht.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:I believe condos and private developments can charge what they like. If you have a direct supply and bought your meter from the government directly you'll get the proper rate, but that too is flexible. It is a sliding scale though, the more you use the higher the unit rate (totally opposite to the logical way of doing things).

Our bills fluctuate wildly at certain times a year, even when we make a conscious effort to use less the bill ends up being higher ... Just checked the last one for our small bungalow and it worked out at 3.3 baht per unit (not including the tax) - our house where we live next door the unit price was 3.94 baht.
" ... The more you use the higher the unit rate (totally opposite to the logical way of doing things)."

I disagree. If the intention, e.g. for environmental reasons, is to try to dissuade customers from using more electricity then charging heavy users more per unit is entirely logical
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nothing Thailand does is for 'environmental reasons', they buy power from Myanmar at a discount and sell it to their own people at a profit. It is all about the bucks.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It is a sliding scale though, the more you use the higher the unit rate (totally opposite to the logical way of doing things).
I agree with you Hhinner although if you ask someone at the PEA offices you'll get a blank look.

If you use less than a fixed amount (don't recall what that is), then there's no charge at all!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:43 pm Nothing Thailand does is for 'environmental reasons', they buy power from Myanmar at a discount and sell it to their own people at a profit. It is all about the bucks.
I don't think it was about the environment but more to do with putting more of the burden onto people who could afford it as higher users are basically using the increased rate electricity for luxury items like air conditioning and swimming pool pumps, so use them to subsidize the less well off. ( Or to make more money off those who have it! )
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

who could afford it as higher users are basically using the increased rate electricity for luxury items like air conditioning.

Do you really think that air conditioning is a luxury item? There are people who's lives would be at risk without it and those who come form countries that have seasons and cannot adapt to the local climate and those who because of age cannot adapt to the heat.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Can anyone remember a few years ago, during a period of pretty severe drought, the water people said that if a bill was less than 100 THB a month then it was free?
I remember it because our bill is never over that. The government said the "promotion" would last for a couple of months but in fact went on for six or so.
IMO, a novel way to try and make most people save water. Of course, the hi-sos just don't care about their bills or maybe just don't pay.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

those who come form countries that have seasons and cannot adapt to the local climate and those who because of age cannot adapt to the heat.
I find that a little strange. If you cannot adapt to local climate and can't stand the heat, then why, for goodness sake, are you here.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If you cannot adapt to local climate and can't stand the heat, then why, for goodness sake, are you here.

Why I'm here is none of your business and I was thinking about other people. There are other people here other than myself.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, I wasn't directing my comment to you personally, but to anyone who has chosen to settle here. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to live in a country that is going to give them nothing but misery.
buksida

Post by buksida »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm I don't think it was about the environment but more to do with putting more of the burden onto people who could afford it as higher users are basically using the increased rate electricity for luxury items like air conditioning and swimming pool pumps, so use them to subsidize the less well off. ( Or to make more money off those who have it! )
That sounds more like it - its still all about making money.

If Thailand gave a toss about the environment (or its less well off) it would subsidize solar hardware and enable people to feed their excess power (of which there would be shitloads with the amount of sunlight here) back into the grid making them a little money while saving the planet! Electricity would effectively be free for domestic use.

But no, can't have that, the state controlled EGAT would not make a profit!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 pm I believe condos and private developments can charge what they like. If you have a direct supply and bought your meter from the government directly you'll get the proper rate, but that too is flexible. It is a sliding scale though, the more you use the higher the unit rate (totally opposite to the logical way of doing things).

Would you know where to look up the formal dictate of this ruling
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

What ruling? I just compared my last few bills to get the prices.

The BOI page has some standard rates on it though: https://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=utility_costs
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I thought a new ruling or law was passed to stop landlords over charging. You stated you believed condo's where exempt so I am trying to find where this is stated, if it is not then condo's must comply