Price comparison FOOD - Hua Hin/U.K

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Price comparison FOOD - Hua Hin/U.K

Post by Homer »

T.O.M. wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 am "Lost" give it a rest...!!
I will give you 10 for effort....Trying to keep a complete meaningless thread alive by posting more than 50% of the posts on the thread. A true "thread-master"
Since you clearly consider yourself very smart and superior to your fellow posters...please explain the the ones with a lower IQ, what relevance the butter prices in the UK have for people living in Thailand...
I should know better than feeding a troll like you...but sometimes it gets so stupid...and I have to react.
Get a hobby.
Trolling is a hobby.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

T.O.M. wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 am Since you clearly consider yourself very smart and superior to your fellow posters...
Completely wrong...you misunderstand me and it's quite the opposite. I say things in jest mostly. I give you grief as you come across exactly as you have just described me but with a dash of extra arrogance. Maybe I 'misunderstand' you also. No harm no foul.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Homer wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:09 pm
T.O.M. wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 am "Lost" give it a rest...!!
I will give you 10 for effort....Trying to keep a complete meaningless thread alive by posting more than 50% of the posts on the thread. A true "thread-master"
Since you clearly consider yourself very smart and superior to your fellow posters...please explain the the ones with a lower IQ, what relevance the butter prices in the UK have for people living in Thailand...
I should know better than feeding a troll like you...but sometimes it gets so stupid...and I have to react.
Get a hobby.
Trolling is a hobby.
And I have given you a little grief recently purely for your love of Trump. It just baffles me! Other than that I enjoy your posts. (Edit: especially your movie reviews. You are the best since Sandman at dissecting a movie :cheers: )

Who would like to post the price of a block of chedder here and in uk. BIG one that. :D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

But as others have said, it’s almost pointless comparing UK prices to those in Thailand. If you live in Thailand and crave specific western food, you have to pay the going price even if it’s 2 or 3 times the cost. Fortunately if you can adapt to a majority Thai food, the higher imported food can be largely offset by cheaper Thai food. My wife and I manage on an approximate 70+% Thai, 20+% western and 5% eat out and are happy with both the cost and variety, but this may not suit all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 pm But as others have said, it’s almost pointless comparing UK prices to those in Thailand. If you live in Thailand and crave specific western food, you have to pay the going price even if it’s 2 or 3 times the cost. Fortunately if you can adapt to a majority Thai food, the higher imported food can be largely offset by cheaper Thai food. My wife and I manage on an approximate 70+% Thai, 20+% western and 5% eat out and are happy with both the cost and variety, but this may not suit all.

I honestly don't understand this 'pointless' and 'meaningless' thing a few are saying Dannie Boy. I know some expats who aren't keen on Thai food and dislike anything spicy. The cost, and availability, of simple groceries is something people look into when moving to a foreign country.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 pm But as others have said, it’s almost pointless comparing UK prices to those in Thailand. If you live in Thailand and crave specific western food, you have to pay the going price even if it’s 2 or 3 times the cost. Fortunately if you can adapt to a majority Thai food, the higher imported food can be largely offset by cheaper Thai food. My wife and I manage on an approximate 70+% Thai, 20+% western and 5% eat out and are happy with both the cost and variety, but this may not suit all.

I honestly don't understand this 'pointless' and 'meaningless' thing a few are saying Dannie Boy. I know some expats who aren't keen on Thai food and dislike anything spicy. The cost, and availability, of simple groceries is something people look into when moving to a foreign country.

It’s a fair point about price comparisons but I cannot believe that many (in reality it shouldn’t be any) people who would contemplate a permanent move to Thailand without have made a number of visits first, so they should have a pretty good idea of the cost differences and how much they can adapt to living in Thailand

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 pm My wife and I manage on an approximate 70+% Thai, 20+% western and 5% eat out ...
... and 5% starvation diet? :laugh: :duck:
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:16 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 pm My wife and I manage on an approximate 70+% Thai, 20+% western and 5% eat out ...
:lach:

I missed that! Never been good at math, me. :?

I'm curious about that missing 5% now. Dannie Boy come on! What's the other 5% of your diet you mysteriously left out?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

During a moment of boredom, I've just had a look at some basic foods on both Big C online (Thailand) and Tesco (UK) and flour is slightly cheaper in the UK and sugar and jasmine rice are cheaper in Thailand but there isn't really that much difference between the two, certainly not enough to make a choice on where to live.
Personally I'm happy to eat the 100% local food that my partner buys from the market but that is more to do with the fact that after almost 40 years of living away from home on military bases, warships and in hotels and rented rooms, I'm completely inept at domestic pursuits like shopping and cooking and will do anything to avoid them!
Last edited by STEVE G on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:33 pm

I'm curious about that missing 5% now. Dannie Boy come on! What's the other 5% of your diet you mysteriously left out?
Come on guys, I said 70+% and 20+% i.e. maybe 72+23 = 95 - not an exact science but an approximate split of what we eat, but even this varies week to week with some weeks more and some less, but unless we have visitors, we rarely eat out more than once every 3 weeks (a fairly constant 5%). Or maybe the other 5% is chocolate? :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I'm completely inept at domestic pursuits like shopping and cooking and will do anything to avoid them
Nothing to do with military bases or warships, that. You are just a good old red blooded male. Raised in simpler times.

:mrgreen:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Come on guys, I said 70+% and 20+% i.e. maybe 72+23 = 95 - not an exact science but an approximate split of what we eat, but even this varies week to week with some weeks more and some less, but unless we have visitors, we rarely eat out more than once every 3 weeks (a fairly constant 5%). Or maybe the other 5% is chocolate? :cheers:
Next time, could you please offer exact figures. Otherwise we risk making this thread silly.

Thanks in advance.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Next time, could you please offer exact figures. Otherwise we risk making this thread silly.

Thanks in advance.
I thought at first you must be joking, but now I’m not sure - whatever, the figures are not exact so take them as you like
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

can't believe it's not butter!

It's blubber, made from whales caught in the UK and exported to Thailand.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:11 pm
Lost wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks in advance.
I thought at first you must be joking, but now I’m not sure - whatever, the figures are not exact so take them as you like
Yes, absolutely joking DB! :D :cheers: