Labeling on food nearing expiration date

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Labeling on food nearing expiration date

Post by PeteC »

Is there any universal system employed here, or at least does each major outlet have a system? I've seen in stores outside Thailand that a coloured label is used for nearing the date, then another for at the date etc. All those products have been significantly discounted.

I saw something on the BBC that many in the UK live on those expiring products and shop only for them to achieve the discounts.

The only thing I've noticed here is that they may move the item to the front of the cooler/shelf but no more than that. I don't shop much these days so perhaps the Thai system has changed? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Food nearing expiration date labeling

Post by HHTel »

Most products have a 'best before' date or expiry date. Here it's left to the customer to check.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Certainly in Tesco, Market Village, there are a couple of sections of heavily discounted items about to go out of date.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Correct, BB. I think it's a Tesco policy. Certainly the same in the UK. When my son worked in Tesco, part of his job was to root out the produce about to expire and reduce them. One day after the expiry date, the produce was 'discarded'. He used to bring home loads of 'expired' stuff. Perks of the job!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:25 pm Certainly in Tesco, Market Village, there are a couple of sections of heavily discounted items about to go out of date.
I bought a liter can of heavily discounted milk for the cat from Tesco and he wouldn't drink it but the dogs didn't mind, I don't think they saw the yellow sticker!
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Labeling on food nearing expiration date

Post by caller »

I notice VM discount stuff after it has expired. The other day, at the one in town, I was looking for apple sauce. They had Colemans, but it expired last month and it was reduced in price. I bought some aussie stuff instead.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

STEVE G wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:51 pm
Big Boy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:25 pm Certainly in Tesco, Market Village, there are a couple of sections of heavily discounted items about to go out of date.
I bought a liter can of heavily discounted milk for the cat from Tesco and he wouldn't drink it but the dogs didn't mind, I don't think they saw the yellow sticker!
Maybe the cat knew more about it. Most cats are lactose intolerant. It's a bit of a fallacy that milk is good for cats. The same as giving lettuce to rabbits. Not good!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:23 pm I notice VM discount stuff after it has expired. The other day, at the one in town, I was looking for apple sauce. They had Colemans, but it expired last month and it was reduced in price. I bought some aussie stuff instead.
Isn't the distinction Best Before (which is still OK to use after the date) as opposed to Use By (which is not OK to use)
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

And whilst not food for most but maybe sustenance for some, a friend always used to check the expiry date of beers when bought from smaller shops. He told me that some dates were well ancient and he'd refuse them.
I suppose that if boxes of the stuff have been lying around for quite some time and maybe in the sun then it's no wonder that a bad stomach follows sometimes?
Let alone hangovers.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 pm Isn't the distinction Best Before (which is still OK to use after the date) as opposed to Use By (which is not OK to use)
I have no idea what it was, but in the UK they used to discount before any product was out of date. As it was well over a month out of date, it just didn't appeal to me and the Aussie stuff was cheaper in any case!
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 pm
caller wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:23 pm I notice VM discount stuff after it has expired. The other day, at the one in town, I was looking for apple sauce. They had Colemans, but it expired last month and it was reduced in price. I bought some aussie stuff instead.
Isn't the distinction Best Before (which is still OK to use after the date) as opposed to Use By (which is not OK to use)
Correct, BB. 'Best before' is different to 'use by' or 'expiry date'.
'Best before' is still okay for a while but usually the flavour is not up to standard.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If it's a canned or bottled product like fruit, vegetables, sardines etc., if you have refrigerated it upon purchase well before the best by/use by listed date it will be good long after that date, swollen or dented cans the exception IMO. It then comes down to what you're comfortable with and the quality detected when finally opened.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

With all the preservatives in packaged food they will stay safe for quite a while. A month out of date won't change anything and I doubt if the food in an unopened tin will diminish in flavor. Where would It go? Having said that, the only tinned foods I eat are sardines and tuna.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:06 am If it's a canned or bottled product like fruit, vegetables, sardines etc., if you have refrigerated it upon purchase well before the best by/use by listed date it will be good long after that date, swollen or dented cans the exception IMO. It then comes down to what you're comfortable with and the quality detected when finally opened.
When I was in the military in the 1980's, we used to get given canned rations that were dated in the 1950's and it didn't taste any different from the newer stuff.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote:
PeteC wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:06 am If it's a canned or bottled product like fruit, vegetables, sardines etc., if you have refrigerated it upon purchase well before the best by/use by listed date it will be good long after that date, swollen or dented cans the exception IMO. It then comes down to what you're comfortable with and the quality detected when finally opened.
When I was in the military in the 1980's, we used to get given canned rations that were dated in the 1950's and it didn't taste any different from the newer stuff.
One of the problems with canned food is exposure to heat, but if you can keep them relatively cool the contents should last for many years - not sure I’d want to try too many 30 year cans of Fray Bentos, but some Heinz soups should be ok!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk