New retirement visa rule - show 800k every 3 months

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Re: New retirement visa rule - show 800k every 3 months

Post by T.O.M. »

HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 am Exactly! As I've said:

"To qualify for your extension renewal it's always been based upon the last 12 months. Monthly income as well as seasoning money in the bank. Why would it be any different??" to repeat myself.

You've never had to show up 3 months before your application to show you have put funds in the bank. Of course it'll be checked as part of the application. How else can they do it? They're not going to revoke an already agreed extension part way through the year!
You persist...and so do I.
With the old rules you could only cheat the system 3 months before being found out.
With the new rules you can cheat 364 days before getting caught.
I believe (and just like you, I am second guessing) there will be a check of your bank balance with the first 90 days report after extension.
Time will show.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

With the old rules you could only cheat the system 3 months before being found out.
With the new rules you can cheat 364 days before getting caught.
I believe (and just like you, I am second guessing) there will be a check of your bank balance with the first 90 days report after extension.
Oh dear!
Under the old rules you would be discovered as being invalid 1 year after being granted permission to stay.
Under the new rules you would be discovered as being invalid 1 year after being granted permission to stay.

I'm not really second guessing, just observing the way they do it now and I don't see any reason to change.

And for those who do their 90 day reporting online???!!
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

And to add to the final question of reporting on-line,,,,,,,,,,,,,i have never done a 90 day report,i have multiple entry along with my retirement extension as i depart the kingdom on various jaunts throughout the year,has this been taken into consideration also,with regards to checking my bank balance??
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nothing will change. Your application for extension will be checked with your previous 12 months to ascertain that you are following the rules.
I hope T.O.M. is not going the income route. Immigration will soon get fed up of him turning up every month to show that he's just transferred 65K into his Thai bank.

Even immigration have a little sense.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 pm Nothing will change. Your application for extension will be checked with your previous 12 months to ascertain that you are following the rules.
I hope T.O.M. is not going the income route. Immigration will soon get fed up of him turning up every month to show that he's just transferred 65K into his Thai bank.

Thankfully I have millions in my bank account...so the income route is of no relevance to me.

As for our point of 'discussion'....out of consideration to our fellow posters, let us leave it....!!
Only time will show, who was right.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Aww! I was enjoying myself. But we'll leave it. As you say, time will tell.

You wouldn't want a side bet I suppose. :wink: :wink:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Still far simpler than getting and renewing a marriage visa.

Simpler yes, also more expensive. It's all predicated upon how much money one has.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

T.O.M. wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:23 pm
HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 pm Nothing will change. Your application for extension will be checked with your previous 12 months to ascertain that you are following the rules.

Thankfully I have millions in my bank account...so the income route is of no relevance to me.

As for our point of 'discussion'....out of consideration to our fellow posters, let us leave it....!!
Only time will show, who was right.
Easy don't read the thread.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Condoking
Professional
Professional

Post by Condoking »

Bit of Lateral thinking, Thai hospitals regularly have problems with Visitors having no medical insurance, could this new requirement be a cunning plan to ensure there is always either 400k or regular income available to cover such incidents
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and then again I just sits" Punch 24th Oct 1906
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Strange, but similar thoughts have been going through my mind.

Problem is, if I've been reading reports correctly, is it's not normally long term residents who are the problem, but short term visitors with no travel insurance and unable to pay for treatment.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think you're right, BB. The stories we hear are usually 'tourists'. There has been suggestions of imposing health insurance on visitors but as yet has not affected expats.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

HHTel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 am I think you're right, BB. The stories we hear are usually 'tourists'. There has been suggestions of imposing health insurance on visitors but as yet has not affected expats.
Yes but we are not talking about 3-week-tourists, they normally have travel-insurance.
But the long-stayers (3-6 months).....At least for the "Nordics' they are only covered by their national health insurance for 45 days when abroad,,,,if the want to extend their coverage...they have to pay a premium....about 240 baht/day.
Many are taking a change by not buying the extra coverage.....and I believe they are the ones costing headache and money for the Thai government. Not the expats or the short-term tourists.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I don't think it has much to do with health insurance. The crux of the matter is that they can't control the rampant corruption within their own police, banking and immigration departments so have to find a scapegoat. Losing face by admitting that the fault is theirs for allowing dodgy visa agents/officers to operate with impunity is not an option. At the moment retired farangs appear to be that scapegoat as they're not as important as Chinese tourists to Thailand (in the eyes of the ivory towered bangkok bureaucrats).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

buksida wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:19 pm I don't think it has much to do with health insurance. The crux of the matter is that they can't control the rampant corruption within their own police, banking and immigration departments so have to find a scapegoat. Losing face by admitting that the fault is theirs for allowing dodgy visa agents/officers to operate with impunity is not an option. At the moment retired farangs appear to be that scapegoat as they're not as important as Chinese tourists to Thailand (in the eyes of the ivory towered bangkok bureaucrats).
You are spot on...!!
This was supposed to be a crackdown on visa-agents.....Yeah sure...
Just yesterday I found this on one of the local FB-groups.....A visa agent offering their illegal services.
The poster was a Thai person.....dare I think..connected to local immigration..?
(Mods please delete the contact details, don't know how to do it)

Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (42.63 KiB) Viewed 226 times
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

T.O.M. wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:54 pm
buksida wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:19 pm I don't think it has much to do with health insurance. The crux of the matter is that they can't control the rampant corruption within their own police, banking and immigration departments so have to find a scapegoat. Losing face by admitting that the fault is theirs for allowing dodgy visa agents/officers to operate with impunity is not an option. At the moment retired farangs appear to be that scapegoat as they're not as important as Chinese tourists to Thailand (in the eyes of the ivory towered bangkok bureaucrats).
You are spot on...!!
This was supposed to be a crackdown on visa-agents.....Yeah sure...
Just yesterday I found this on one of the local FB-groups.....A visa agent offering their illegal services.
The poster was a Thai person.....dare I think..connected to local immigration..?
(Mods please delete the contact details, don't know how to do it)

Picture1.jpg
Against any law, there is a way to fck. the law. It always was like that and will be forever.