Thai "Street Restaurant" Wins Michelin Star

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
pharvey

Thai "Street Restaurant" Wins Michelin Star

Post by pharvey »

'Queen of Thai Street Food' Wins Michelin Star in Bangkok Guide

"Jay Fai’s shophouse, known for her crab omelette, is one of 17 restaurants awarded prestigious stars in listing for Thai capital.
A 70-year-old Thai street food seller who makes wok-fired dishes has been awarded a Michelin star at the launch of Bangkok’s first guide.
Jay Fai, or Auntie Fai, is known for her scorching portions of noodles with prawns and crab, cooked over charcoal fires. The eccentric chef wears ski goggles to protect her eyes from the hot oil sloshing around giant woks in her tiny shophouse.
“I was excited from the very first step I made in here,” said Jay Fai as she accepted the award on Wednesday at the five-star Grand Hyatt hotel, dressed in a white chef’s outfit. Her restaurant, an open kitchen with tiled walls and metal stools that spill out into the street, also sells rich, yellow crab curries.
Open daily in the old part of the Thai capital, the restaurant was one of 17 awarded stars, decided by Michelin after months of secret inspections. The other awardees consisted mainly of French haute cuisine restaurants, such as Le Normandie, where a jacket is “compulsory for gentlemen during dinner”, as well as upscale Thai restaurants.
While Michelin has a reputation for fine dining, it claims it is not all white tablecloths and silver cutlery. In 2010, a Hong Kong dim sum hole-in-the-wall was awarded a star and the guide gave a star to a Singapore chicken rice hawker last year.
Chawadee Nualkhair, a Bangkok-based street food blogger, said: “Jay Fai is like the queen of Thai street food. She could have done anything with her fame: chain restaurants, street food branches, a fancy secondary location, but she didn’t. She stayed at her open-air shophouse with her two woks. I’m glad she’s finally getting some recognition.”
The prices are, however, not in keeping with street food, which locals put down to her large portions. A Jay Fai favourite is her browned, thick crab omelette for which she charges about £20."

Taken from The Guardian (UK) - Full story: - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... gkok-guide

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Re: Thai "Street Restaurant" Wins Michelin Star

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmmm........... If she was charging those prices on Hua Hin Beach, the Bangkokians would cry foul, and the army would move in :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Wasn't this news over a year ago?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yes. Well spotted. Even the link posted by Pharvey is dated 6th December 2017.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When I was in Pattaya last year there were small restaurants claiming to have been awarded Michelin Stars. I guess anything goes here.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

At least Jay Fai's food hasn't killed anyone yet (afaik): https://www.livescience.com/64826-woman ... spain.html
pharvey

Re: Thai

Post by pharvey »

hhinner wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 am Wasn't this news over a year ago?
Didn't even notice..... Goes to show I live in the past!! :oops:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

She got the Michelin star last year the second time.

The food's fantastic. She only takes the best ingredients. The crab omlett consists of large pieces of crab meat, which are held together by eggs. I haven't eaten a better crab meat yet.
Yes, it is not cheap, but it is worth it.

Only without a reservation it is practically impossible to get a table.
Greets,
Phyton