New laptop suggestions

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
migrant
Addict
Addict

New laptop suggestions

Post by migrant »

Thinking of a new laptop. My old one is getting some glitches and has a cracked screen. In the states right now so have access to lots of options. But being tech ignorant need to ask for suggestions.

Need windows based
Do some work, but the programs are either pretty basic, or accessed through the internet.
As above use the internet often, access to my office in the states, watch TV, movies by streaming also downloading.

Don't know the latest, and greatest, specs so any suggestions welcome.

Budget is, as needed but hopefully not crazy

Thanks!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: New laptop suggestions

Post by Dannie Boy »

migrant wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:14 am Thinking of a new laptop. My old one is getting some glitches and has a cracked screen. In the states right now so have access to lots of options. But being tech ignorant need to ask for suggestions.

Need windows based
Do some work, but the programs are either pretty basic, or accessed through the internet.
As above use the internet often, access to my office in the states, watch TV, movies by streaming also downloading.

Don't know the latest, and greatest, specs so any suggestions welcome.

Budget is, as needed but hopefully not crazy

Thanks!
I’m by no means an expert, but I would definitely recommend having one with a SSD drive, which is much faster than a conventional hard drive. Size of memory should be 512 GB minimum - some are available with 1 TB - i7 processor preferable but minimum i5 - should be available with Windows 10 as standard.

I have a HP Spectre 360 with 512 GB and an i7 processor, which I rarely (never) use to its full potential, but have been very happy with it - I’m sure there are other makes equally as good or even better, - I bought mine when working in the UAE about 18 months ago, but they are available in Thailand, price around 50,000 Baht but other brands may be cheaper.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

I just bought a 14" Lenovo I'm pretty happy with. Good screen & keyboard. I put Windows 8 on it instead of Win 10....if you've read any of my posts lately you'll know why.

When are you coming back?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I just did a quick check for high end laptops by price Thailand vs the US, and my unscientific study seems to indicate you'll save around 15,000 baht buying there rather than here. A 69,000 unit here sells for around 55,000 there.

I'm thinking the scale will be about the same ratio as you slide down to less expensive units.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

From my limited experience and knowledge, you'll likely find a higher spec there than in the same model available here. When I was looking, I identified 2/3 that had the spec I wanted (and good reviews), but the same models here had all been dumbed down, but not the equivalent price.
Talk is cheap
mudcat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mudcat »

You might take a look at Fry's.com as the have both new and recertified laptops every week, e.g.
https://www.frys.com/product/9657833?ne ... ding031719
$789 and free shipping, and may be tax free depending on your state. To get "promo" discounts you may need to sign up for daily emails. When I have looked at laptops here I have found them expensive bit the higher spec ones are oriented to gamers with more graphics memory and power.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

I have very good experiance with Acer Travelmates. Together 6 Laptops.
As @Dannie Boy recomended, SSD with min 128 GB is very usefull, and a HD with min 512 GB. i7 as well with min 8 GB RAM.
My display size is not less than 15" for watching movie.
Greets,
Phyton
buksida

Post by buksida »

Agree with most of the above, buy there and you'll save a chunk, tech is expensive in Thailand. SSD, 8GB RAM, i5 or AMD Ryzen CPU should do the job. Check screen res is full HD (1920x1080) and not some software manipulation of it.

Unfortunately you'll probably be lumbered with Windoze 10 which is a dog, but there isnt much choice on new machines with OS preloaded.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks all! Good help!

T.I.G.R. headed back Apr 19, will catch up with you soon after!!

mudcat, yes usually go to Fry's (one near by) and check

:cheers: :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:24 pm Agree with most of the above, buy there and you'll save a chunk, tech is expensive in Thailand. SSD, 8GB RAM, i5 or AMD Ryzen CPU should do the job. Check screen res is full HD (1920x1080) and not some software manipulation of it.

Unfortunately you'll probably be lumbered with Windoze 10 which is a dog, but there isnt much choice on new machines with OS preloaded.
Win 10 is an invention of the devil. How difficult is it to learn an alternative OP system and can I download one of them if I have win 10? Thanks.
buksida

Post by buksida »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 pm Win 10 is an invention of the devil. How difficult is it to learn an alternative OP system and can I download one of them if I have win 10? Thanks.
There are several versions of Linux which are free but it is a big learning curve coming from Windows, Ubuntu is probably the easiest to learn. I usually partition the drive on the laptop and have a dual boot system which runs both. More on Linux here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34853
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

On Win 7, and I never install the monthly 'roll up' updates, or the 'malicious tool' updates.

Only install any other updates about 2 weeks after their release, as gives MS time to correct their screw ups before I risk installing the update. I see a few disappear in that 'grace period'.

Never use 'auto update'.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It interesting as it seems many go for the i7 processor simply because it is the biggest and baddest. Is it really necessary, or is the i5 sufficient for what most home users do?

What's the cost difference between an i5 and i7, about $200- $250?

Edit: I've read little comments here and there that the i7 overheats on some laptops. No idea if serious or just mindless complaints. People don't like to hear their laptop fan running it seems.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Agree, the i7 is overkill for someone that needs a laptop for basic office work, internet browsing and watching movies.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just as an after thought - be very wary of Acer AMD laptops, they run HOT and really do not play well in this heat.