Monkey sightings in Hua Hin Neighborhoods

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
PeteC

Re: Monkeys in Hua Hin Neighborhoods?

Post by PeteC »

Again this subject comes up.... "And monkeys in Hua Hin have reportedly made their way into town, digging through trash, looking for food due to the lack of tourists feeding them."......

More evident now due to lack of tourists?

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environ ... r-shortage
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Last week we saw some monkeys near the dinosaur market traffic lights (junction khan khlong road and hua hin soi 56). Never seen any around there before, or since.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:12 pm More evident now due to lack of tourists?
Not much doubt about that. They were nasty little buggers when tourists (and food) were around - certainly not going to be any friendlier whilst hungry.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yesterday, I saw a few on the green where Takiap goes into a one way system by the Songthaew stop. And later by the restaurants near the ferry car park. There seems one particularly large monkey that likes to sit atop a pole near bins as you enter the car park. Seen him a few times now.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We sometimes have a big bugger who comes to visit and sits on our garden wall. Nothing to do with tourists. The locals reckon he comes from the nearby hills.
The monkeys in the tourist areas are the only ones you see, but there are many more around that you don't see. They fend for themselves and unlike those in the tourist spots, the don't depend on us humans.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I saw one at the 7-11 next to Buffalo Bill’s. Huge bastard. I was sitting on the steps drinking a Schweppe’s and he walked right up to me, eyeballed me, and continued on.
DTHH

Post by DTHH »

Not just Hua Hin. One in our village in Central Cha-am last week, certainly startled the birds and our cats. Then proceeded to make his way across the balconies to the end of the village, never to be seen since.
Blot
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Blot »

I live on the 5th floor of a Condominium block in Hua Hin Town Centre. A few days ago a monkey appeared on my balcony. First time ever.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Blot wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:19 am I live on the 5th floor of a Condominium block in Hua Hin Town Centre. A few days ago a monkey appeared on my balcony. First time ever.
That must have been quite a shock! I hope you doors were closed?
Talk is cheap
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Even as far back as when I lived in Hua Hin (moved to the U.S. in 2014) we had a large one on the roof of our two story house who jumped to the roof of the detached garage and because two dogs were on the ground going crazy barking up at him he got mad and nearly tore a section of rain gutter off the garage. He did bend it. Finally he walked the wall and up a pole to the electric lines on the street and disappeared out of sight towards Hua Na using those lines for transport.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

3 years of nothing, but now they're back!

Fortunately, our smallest dog thinks he's a fully grown wolf (read mental), and has chased them off for now.

293698384_1061760038100282_6568157101112645381_n.jpg
(123.41 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
292121255_364687252520366_5992700716179621735_n.jpg
(137.47 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
294445873_1021763821863283_5743318912412593164_n.jpg
(149.89 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Monkey sightings

Post by caller »

Just wondered if it was time to have a thread to record the latest sightings of our monkey neighbours here in Hua Hin. They get honourable mentions elsewhere, but not in a dedicated thread.

I mention this, as yesterday I saw one right in the centre of town. Now this might already be a regular occurance, but it was a first for me. I know they get around the back roads at ground level of the viewpoint at Hin Lek Fai, but the one I saw yesterday made we wonder where it had come from and where it was heading?

The time was 16.40, whilst I was waiting in Petchkasem Road at the lights with the junction of soi61 (beach Rd). I was heading North, sat opposite PA Moble, when I spotted a large Monkey, nonchalent as can be, walking along the cables above the pavement, heading South, on the Western side of Petch Rd.

The two groups of Monkeys I know of are at Takiap and Hin Lek Fai, so it was a long way from home.

Are such sightings in this area now common, as it was certainly a surprise to me.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Re: Monkey sightings in Hua Hin Neighborhoods

Post by buksida »

There already is one, just merged them.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Monkey sightings

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:04 pm The two groups of Monkeys I know of are at Takiap and Hin Lek Fai, so it was a long way from home.
If you look at the direct route, down the side of the mountain and across the golf course, it isn't really that far to go in search of food.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Monkey sightings in Hua Hin Neighborhoods

Post by migrant »

We're up soi 6, up behind Makro. 2 weeks ago a large monkey appeared in our yard. The dogs went crazy and the monkey jumped on the power lines and slowly walked away.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.