Retirement Visa Extension and Wise (Transferwise)

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Retirement Visa Extension and Wise (Transferwise)

Post by Big Boy »

Today was Retirement Visa Extension Day (OK, to be exact Non-Immigrant 'O' visa, previously extended on grounds of retirement was due for another extension).

Whilst I've been quietly confident that I understood the requirement, there has always been an element of doubt in my mind because I was using Transferwise for my money transfers from the UK. Today was the day of truth.

In addition to the usual requirements, I
  • Printed all of my UK bank statements from the UK showing my transfers.
  • Printed all of my Transferwise statements.
  • Took my pensions letter and P60 NB: These were not returned to me, so anybody following this route - take copies.
First stop was Kasikorn Bank. Letter issued for 100 Baht. They gave me a statement as well (made a point of telling me I was not being charged). I asked if this was all that Immigration needed, and they confirmed it was.

Went home, and ate a bit of lunch.

Arrived at Immigration at 1pm. Went to the very helpful photocopy lady, and she did everything I needed.

Walked upstairs and was sat immediately with the only lady Immigration officer sat at a desk. I don't want to ruin her reputation, but after what I've read on here in the last couple of days about the lady at Immigration, I had concerns. I don't know if we're talking the same lady, but this lady was lovely, and very helpful. Unusually, the photocopy lady had missed something - this lady simply lifted the lid on her printer, and copied the missing information there and then.

Now the important bit about Transferwise. She said that my copies of UK bank and Transferwise statements were not necessary, and were wrong, although she said she would use them this time - phew!!! She got an example of what the bank should have given me, and said this is what I MUST take next year. So I will return to Kasikorn, probably tomorrow, and enquire whether or not the internal transfer form is available for Transferwise. If not, I will ask what I can do about it. I will report back, when I have spoken to them.

So, after all of the heartache created by the bar room lawyers and scaremongers, I have to say, this was my easiest renewal yet. However, I hope to get more information regarding Transferwise when I return to the bank. The leniency promised during this transition period was granted as promised.

It was not an unpleasant experience, and when I checked the clock in the car driving home, it read 1:22. To sum it up in one word, PAINLESS.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Visa Extension and Transferwise

Post by HHTel »

Good news, BB. Like you, in all the years I've been here, I've never had any ordeals with immigration and that goes all the way back when it was at the Singkhon border which was a pain to get to.

I'm always bemused when I hear the horror stories from some. Maybe some people are just unlucky or just the kind who will never be happy.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Just proves...it is a lottery.
You got your extension despite not having the correct paperwork.....You could have ended up in front of an IO insisting that everything had be according to (his/hers) book, which would have meant another visit to the bank.
Just a couple of days ago there was a report from Tha Yang, where they insisted on 12 monthly transfers, prior to the extension, or 800k in the bank....no other options.
Happy for you....because honestly.....you were a little worried...?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, the Thai Immigration Service were good to their word - they showed the leniency that they advertised. They would have been in little doubt that everything was in order by checking the evidence provided. They said from the start they were not ogres, and knew the genuine people who renew every year. The lady who dealt with me explained the process, and where I will have to change things next year - it wasn't a big deal.

My only doubt is the validity of Transferwise, and I will clarify that procedure in the next day or two - I now know the questions to ask. The lady was not bothered about Transferwise, but said the bank should have presented the letter/evidence differently. This is a learning curve for everybody, banks included. We will get there, eventually.

Was I worried, yes, greatly in the beginning. Even though I knew I was legitimate, i was seriously considering downgrading to a Marriage Visa. However, as the information trickled out, I soon became confident I was OK.

In fact, I am £266 per annum better off (combination of not having to pay for Embassy letter and better rates offered by Transferwise) using the revised procedures.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

T.O.M. wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:53 pm Just proves...it is a lottery.
You got your extension despite not having the correct paperwork.....You could have ended up in front of an IO insisting that everything had be according to (his/hers) book, which would have meant another visit to the bank.
Just a couple of days ago there was a report from Tha Yang, where they insisted on 12 monthly transfers, prior to the extension, or 800k in the bank....no other options.
Happy for you....because honestly.....you were a little worried...?
And there will always be the skeptics! I know procedures vary between IO offices but it's essential that you go with a positive attitude. Most of the members on this forum are really lucky that Hua Hin (Singkhon) are one of the better offices.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I take statements such as, "Just a couple of days ago there was a report from Tha Yang, where they insisted on 12 monthly transfers, prior to the extension, or 800k in the bank....no other options." with a pinch of salt. I'd love to know the source, but almost certainly it was the forum we can't mention, and they'd never deal in fake news, would they? :banghead: :banghead:

When this story first broke last year, there were so many people talking with authority about a subject nobody, including Immigration, knew anything about. Some people just revel in winding people up/scaremongering. Fake News seems to be order of the day with so many.

As I confirmed, I was worried initially until I started applying logic, and sorting the wheat from the chaff. I soon realised the people who claimed to know everything were simply full of BS.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:thumb:
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 pm I take statements such as, "Just a couple of days ago there was a report from Tha Yang, where they insisted on 12 monthly transfers, prior to the extension, or 800k in the bank....no other options." with a pinch of salt. I'd love to know the source, but almost certainly it was the forum we can't mention, and they'd never deal in fake news, would they? :banghead: :banghead:

When this story first broke last year, there were so many people talking with authority about a subject nobody, including Immigration, knew anything about. Some people just revel in winding people up/scaremongering. Fake News seems to be order of the day with so many.

As I confirmed, I was worried initially until I started applying logic, and sorting the wheat from the chaff. I soon realised the people who claimed to know everything were simply full of BS.
Getting old aren't we....? :D
The statement about Tha Yang was taken from from THIS FORUM.
From a topic started by YOU....".Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc"
Posted by SunandFun 18/6-2019.
So no reason to accuse me of dealing in fake news....winding people up/scaremongering....unless you at the same time accuse SunandFun for lying about his experience at Tha Yang Immigration.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In my opinion, a correct statement, but the full facts weren't put across correctly or they couldn't give a definitive answer until they received an actual extension application to assess. Immigration are simply quoting the rules, you are dramatising them. Nothing has actually happened, so it is meaningless.

Yes, I was also told NEXT YEAR I would have to show 12 monthly transfers, and yes, that is the new rule. However, Immigration have promised leniency this year because for example in my case the new rule was clarified 4 months after my last extension, so nobody could comply when they didn't know the rule. Immigration were good to their word.

The way you have worded your post is if it had actually happened - no, they simply quoted the new rules. They did not re-quote the leniency element because obviously that has to assessed in each case. They are not out to trick retirees - I am living proof. If they were being jobsworths, I would have been refused on at least 2 counts. Had SunandFun been refused a renewal, then it would have been news, but it didn't happen. In reality, SunandFun made a general enquiry, I presume (don't know) without presenting his evidence/proof.

I too went to Immigration to ask what the requirements would be this year, and didn't get an answer. They didn't help me, but everybody's circumstance is different and regardless of what was said, it would have been a general statement that would have been meaningless until they saw MY evidence.

You are trying to scaremonger by twisting words to meet your agenda (I was told exactly the same thing by Immigration). This year's errors were pointed out, and duly noted by me for next year. Expats, banks and Immigration are learning together. I am 100% legitimate and my doubts were around how to present that evidence when I found out 4 months too late to fully comply. I gave up believing most of your spin many months ago because your agenda became very apparent. Now you are trying again to use people's words not facts to worry people.

Bring us FACTS showing Retirement extensions are actually being refused this year because people can't meet the full requirement, and I will believe you.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Re: Retirement Visa Extension and Transferwise

Post by Big Boy »

Part 2 - Discuss Immigration Requirement with Bank

Went to Kasikorn Bank this morning (NB: Other banks procedures may differ). I explained the Immigration had told me the bank had done it wrong yesterday, and despite me being issued my extension, it had to be done differently next year.

They wanted to know what they had done wrong, I explained they hadn't provided transfer slips. The girl looked bemused. After much discussion, we understood each other and agreed it was my own fault :oops: . It seems that after every foreign transfer, I have to report to the bank, and they will issue the required transfer notice, I made a point of mentioning several times that I use Transferwise, and each time she confirmed it wouldn't be a problem.

My next transfer is due in 9 days time, so I will confirm then that the procedure works. If it doesn't, I will still have plenty of time to do a bank transfer as this will be month 1 for me. For me personally it will not be a problem as I'm dragged to Market Village most days anyway.

If this is all that is required, it is simple. As I keep saying, it's a learning process this year, and IMHO it is not too difficult.

Points 48; Position 20
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Thanks BB a concise and extremely helpful report on your Visa extension. :thumb:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I wonder if reporting the transfer to the bank is something that can be done on-line ?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:02 pm Part 2 - Discuss Immigration Requirement with Bank

Went to Kasikorn Bank this morning (NB: Other banks procedures may differ). I explained the Immigration had told me the bank had done it wrong yesterday, and despite me being issued my extension, it had to be done differently next year.

They wanted to know what they had done wrong, I explained they hadn't provided transfer slips. The girl looked bemused. After much discussion, we understood each other and agreed it was my own fault :oops: . It seems that after every foreign transfer, I have to report to the bank, and they will issue the required transfer notice, I made a point of mentioning several times that I use Transferwise, and each time she confirmed it wouldn't be a problem.

My next transfer is due in 9 days time, so I will confirm then that the procedure works. If it doesn't, I will still have plenty of time to do a bank transfer as this will be month 1 for me. For me personally it will not be a problem as I'm dragged to Market Village most days anyway.

If this is all that is required, it is simple. As I keep saying, it's a learning process this year, and IMHO it is not too difficult.
The correct terminology is "Credit Advice/Receipt". If you give the bank: 1) The date the transfer was made and where it is coming from, 2) amount of foreign currency, 3) date received in your bank, 4) amount in baht. It will be much easier and you should be able to get this at any future time. If they have to look it up it could take hours and is a lot of extra work for them. Big Boy did they ask for the source of the funds? In That Yang, they require you to show that the funds only come from a retirement account or pension fund. You have to have a letter showing this.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Also in Tha Yang, 12 months history. No leniency or 800,000 baht. Only two options at that office. I have now been officially refused. Working on plan "B" which will improve the living standard of many.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So did you actually present evidence?

My evidence was my pensions letter and (the wrong) proof I had been transferring cash from the UK via Transferwise since last December - it's been an expensive year, and total transferred exceeded 800,000.

The lady at Immigration told me next year I have to show 12 monthly transfers (I think we all know that, but the situation was not clarified in time for this year), and evidence of the transfer had to come from the bank, which was clarified yesterday. There was no consideration to refusal, and I would have been shocked if it had been mentioned. Immigration were true to their word.

I'm sure when the procedures were eventually informed, they made a big point about leniency this year i.e. none of us have a time machine, and could not retrospectively make transfers in the period from our last renewal until the information required was promulgated. I'm sure if your evidence shows you have attempted to do what they asked since December (is when mine started), you must have grounds for appeal.

Points 48; Position 20