Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Post by Dannie Boy »

An update on the Thai passport renewal for my wife. On Friday last week we traveled to the Passport Office located inside the MRT station at Khlong Tori, the traffic was worse than I had expected (it took nearly 3.1/2 hours from our house in Cha Am), but we were still inside the building before 9.00am. Registration, height measurement done straight away, a form for my wife to complete and within a couple of minutes of her completing it her number was called. 10 minutes doing the biometrics, 5 minutes paying the fee (1000 Baht plus 60 for EMS), so less than 30 minutes in total. My wife asked about the 10 year passports and was told “we don’t know when they will start”!! Anyway the new passport arrived yesterday, so a fantastically efficient service.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My family have always gone to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Using Google Maps, the drive is much more pleasant as it skirts around BKK.
I agree as to the efficiency. Very impressive and speedy delivery to your door.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:37 am My family have always gone to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Using Google Maps, the drive is much more pleasant as it skirts around BKK.
I agree as to the efficiency. Very impressive and speedy delivery to your door.
I’ll try to remember that for next time!! :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

New-look 10-year passport

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... r-passport

A revamped passport was launched on Wednesday, with a plan to increase its validity for up to 10 years from next month.

The new passport was designed to increase security, both for the holder and the country. New features include an embossed signature and other biometric data, according to the consular department.

It also features key historical places from the Sukhothai to Rattanakosin periods printed on every page, to provide knowledge for the holders, especially younger generations, according to the announcement.

A Thai passport is currently valid for five years from the date of issue.

The department said it planned to increase the expiry period to up to 10 years next month.

The department offices on Chaeng Watthana Road are temporarily closed for renovation.

Passport services have been moved to the nearby customer service centre building of CAT Telecom, next to the government complex.

The consular department also has passport offices in other locations throughout Bangkok and in other provinces.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Pity that it’s only just about to be issued - my wife renewed hers earlier this year just before the pandemic and of course has not been able to use it - Roll on 2025!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I took my son to Petchaburi this morning to renew his Thai Passport. So much better - closer, faster and a lot less people than previous renewals in Bangkok. The big bonus - they asked if he could manage to complete the paperwork in English :laugh: . A vast improvement. In and out in 10 minutes.

It does beg the question as to why it takes so long to renew a UK passport.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:17 pm I took my son to Petchaburi this morning to renew his Thai Passport. So much better - closer, faster and a lot less people than previous renewals in Bangkok. The big bonus - they asked if he could manage to complete the paperwork in English :laugh: . A vast improvement. In and out in 10 minutes.

It does beg the question as to why it takes so long to renew a UK passport.
Two questions please - first, is this a permanent facility and second, is it still a five year passport?

Sorry a third question, where in Petchaburi is it?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

1. Yes, permanent.

2. No, 10 years.

3. Robinsons, 2nd Floor.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:22 pm 1. Yes, permanent.

2. No, 10 years.

3. Robinsons, 2nd Floor.
Fantastic!! :cheers:
bradford
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Thai National Service Warning

Post by bradford »

My Thai wife's passport expires late January 2024. We live in Spain. How soon before expiry can she renew her passport.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If it's only purpose is to enter Thailand then she doesn't need to renew it. She can enter Thailand on an expired passport but then she has to renew it before she can leave Thailand.

If it will be used for other countries then of course she would need to renew it. I believe she can renew it before expiry and certainly any time after expiry.
bradford
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bradford »

My Thai wife's passport expires late January 2024. We live in Spain. How soon before expiry can she renew her passport?

Also is the 10 year passport now being issued as standard?
bradford
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bradford »

How soon before expiry can she renew her passport.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I was under the impression that any passport needed to have a minimum of six months validity remaining before travel? The airlines might not even let you get on a plane if you have an expired passport.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, HHTel is quite correct - you can return to Thailand on an expired Thai passport.

Points 48; Position 20