Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Post by Dannie Boy »

bradford wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:21 am My Thai wife's passport expires late January 2024. We live in Spain. How soon before expiry can she renew her passport?

Also is the 10 year passport now being issued as standard?
If you look at the posts above your post, it was already mentioned that 10 year passports are now being issued. Does your wife only have a Thai passport?
bradford
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bradford »

She only has Thai passport.

My Thai wife's passport expires late January 2024. We live in Spain. How soon before expiry can she renew her passport?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Most countries (including Thailand) say that you need at least 6 month’s remaining validity on your passport to travel, so that’s probably a good assumption to use?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Except as has been mentioned, entering Thailand on an expired Thai passport is fine.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:Except as has been mentioned, entering Thailand on an expired Thai passport is fine.
I’m not doubting what you say about arriving in Thailand, but are you certain that she would be allowed to leave Spain on an expired passport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Surely to get an accurate answer it would be best to contact the Thai Ambassy/Consulate in Madrid or Barcelona
??
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The airline are the definitive decision makers. If there is any doubt, they will stop you boarding. They will have to return you from where you set out at their own expense if they are wrong.

Certainly travelling from the UK it isn't a problem. Never tried it from Spain, but I'd guess the rules would be the same.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

My daughters' passports went old this spring. Since they hadn't done their Thai I.D. cards previously, they needed to travel to Thailand to do them. The missus went with them. The other daughter had lost her passport so she got a temporary one from the embassy. My missus called the embassy here and got all the relevant answers so I'd agree with Joelle: contact the Thai embassy in Spain for the info.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

May not be relevant now but years ago when travelling to Thailand, my youngest daughter didn't have a passport and it was too late to get one. We got a letter from the Thai Embassy confirming that she was indeed a Thai citizen. The letter was accepted by immigration in Thailand and she was allowed to enter.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

bradford
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bradford »

joelle wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:39 pm Surely to get an accurate answer it would be best to contact the Thai Ambassy/Consulate in Madrid or Barcelona
??
You are probably correct; maybe I am a bit of a fool asking on a Thai forum. Problem is Thai consulate Madrid rarely replies to anything.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

bradford wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:08 pm
joelle wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:39 pm Surely to get an accurate answer it would be best to contact the Thai Ambassy/Consulate in Madrid or Barcelona
??
You are probably correct; maybe I am a bit of a fool asking on a Thai forum. Problem is Thai consulate Madrid rarely replies to anything.
Never a fool for asking as you might get helpful answers
Just a suggestion, why don't you start the procedure of renewing the passport, see how it goes and you might get it on time for your travelling. It usually takes quite a while specially before holiday period when many requests are made.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:14 pm
bradford wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:08 pm
??
Never a fool for asking as you might get helpful answers
Just a suggestion, why don't you start the procedure of renewing the passport, see how it goes and you might get it on time for your travelling. It usually takes quite a while specially before holiday period when many requests are made.
The OP hasn’t given any indication that his wife plans to travel, so it could simply be that they understandably want to renew her passport before it expires. Using the point that many countries insist on having six months validity left on the passport when travelling, I’d use that for the benchmark of when to apply (July), which should give plenty of time to complete the transaction before the existing passport expires.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Separate from the problem above.
My daughter needed to renew her Thai passport. This morning drove to the passport office in Petchaburi (Robinson's shopping centre) Saw the number of people waiting and expected a long wait. However, she presented her form, old passport and Tabien baan. Her passport was scanned and renewal approved immediately. 1,000 for 5 year and 1.500 for 10 year. 40 baht postage for the new passport.
In and out in under 15 mins!! This was for a renewal. It may be different for a 1st passport.

I remember the last time when it had to be done at the MFA. Took a whole day driving there and back and going to the various queues. What a difference.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:Separate from the problem above.
My daughter needed to renew her Thai passport. This morning drove to the passport office in Petchaburi (Robinson's shopping centre) Saw the number of people waiting and expected a long wait. However, she presented her form, old passport and Tabien baan. Her passport was scanned and renewal approved immediately. 1,000 for 5 year and 1.500 for 10 year. 40 baht postage for the new passport.
In and out in under 15 mins!! This was for a renewal. It may be different for a 1st passport.

I remember the last time when it had to be done at the MFA. Took a whole day driving there and back and going to the various queues. What a difference.
For once I’m looking forward to when my wife needs to renew hers - towards the end of next year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk