Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Thai passport renewal ... 10 years?

Post by Dannie Boy »

Has anybody who has a Thai wife/partner renewed their passport within the last year, and can confirm that they are now issuing passports valid for 10 years?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai passport renewal

Post by HHTel »

It was certainly only 5 years at the end of 2018. The original announcement stated that it wouldn't be before February of this year. If it had indeed happened, I would have thought there'd have been a further announcement.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son has renewed in September - his is a 5 year passport.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My step-daughter was in December. We need to hear of anyone renewing in the last couple of months.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Maybe another Thai promise that fails to materialise, although I’m hoping that isn’t the case - my wife still has 7 months left on her current passport so we have time to wait as we don’t intend to travel until next year.
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Post by HHADFan »

My wife's passport was renewed about two or three weeks ago by the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles (USA). It is for five years.
"We're all living proof nothing lasts" - Jay Farrar
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well the announcement was correct in that it wouldn't be before February 2019!!! We just don't know how long after it will be......
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Reading posts on pantip.com by those who have read the terms of reference (TOR) it seems likely that phase 3 of the ongoing passport modernisation project will see the 10 year passport starting middle of next year, possibly June (so a year later than expected). Phase 2 is the 5 year passport with contactless chip currently available.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I read somewhere that even when it's implemented, it's only for those over 20 years old. Kids will remain on the 5 year type until renewing after that age.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That's true and makes good sense. A child's appearance would change massively over ten years.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhinner wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:03 pm Reading posts on pantip.com by those who have read the terms of reference (TOR) it seems likely that phase 3 of the ongoing passport modernisation project will see the 10 year passport starting middle of next year, possibly June (so a year later than expected). Phase 2 is the 5 year passport with contactless chip currently available.
That’s a shame if correct, as my wife’s passport expires at the beginning of the year, but what will be, will be. :cheers:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

You never know. Pantip.com opinions might be as good as those on other forums when it comes to speculation.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 pm
hhinner wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:03 pm Reading posts on pantip.com by those who have read the terms of reference (TOR) it seems likely that phase 3 of the ongoing passport modernisation project will see the 10 year passport starting middle of next year, possibly June (so a year later than expected). Phase 2 is the 5 year passport with contactless chip currently available.
That’s a shame if correct, as my wife’s passport expires at the beginning of the year, but what will be, will be. :cheers:
Unless your wife needs her passport, why not just put it on the back burner. Renew it when you need to. By that time, rules may have changed.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:53 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 pm
Unless your wife needs her passport, why not just put it on the back burner. Renew it when you need to. By that time, rules may have changed.
That’s what I intend to do, but was hoping to hear that the new regulations had already been implemented. My wife’s passport expires In February 2020 and we are planning to travel in April, so we might be lucky.
BarryAmilm
Rookie
Rookie

Thai passport renewal 10 years

Post by BarryAmilm »

Hi Grove,

Thanks for that info. Have you had to get visas for other countries, and have they accepted the UK 10 year visa being in an old thai passport ?

Thanks