Methods for deterring pigeons/birds

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Tunafish
Amateur
Amateur

Methods for deterring pigeons/birds

Post by Tunafish »

Good morning,
I live in a small community, and in recent months we have been inundated with pidgens, very noisy and messy.
Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to discourage them?
Any advice would seriously appreciated.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Pidgens

Post by Dannie Boy »

Tunafish wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:28 am Good morning,
I live in a small community, and in recent months we have been inundated with pidgens, very noisy and messy.
Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to discourage them?
Any advice would seriously appreciated.
There have been a few threads on this subject over the years - what I found effective for the window frame areas were the sticky-backed length of thin spikes that stop the pigeons from resting - bought these from Homepro 5-6 years ago but assume they still sell them. Other people have tried “imitation” snakes and birds of prey - not sure how effective they are, but might be worth a try?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I had a problem some years ago. I realised that they were raiding the dogs' food which was outside. I brought the food inside and after a few days vanished, never to return. You do get the occasional one checking, but they obviously report back "No food there, guys".

What I'm getting at is that if there is a regular food source then that has to be removed.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

If he is still around the following Bangkok Thai bloke has been to Hua Hin in the past, more so if there is a group of houses. BUT, he is not cheap!

Direk Suvanpidok, stopbird.d@hotmail.com 089 678 2992
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Nereus wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:21 am If he is still around the following Bangkok Thai bloke has been to Hua Hin in the past, more so if there is a group of houses. BUT, he is not cheap!

Direk Suvanpidok, stopbird.d@hotmail.com 089 678 2992
So what does this guy do which we cannot do ourselves?? Just curious, because I have tried everything and a million other things, and I cannot get rid of these annoying sparrows. Shitting everywhere, on my car, bikes, awning, back of my garden furniture etc, etc. Some of the thing I have tried, fake snakes, fake birds, hanging CDs, stuff that makes noise etc, etc. I'm pretty sure I have the bird problem due to dog food as well, but I the food inside. the problem is that these sparrows get very cheeky and fly into the house!
YNWA
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ended up I did not use him as the Condo management would not allow it. He uses the usual spikes etc., but also has some clear paint on deterrent that birds evidently cannot tolerate on their feet. I have never before seen pigeons that will roost on flat surfaces like these mongrels here do! Most birds prefer to land / roost on a small surface.

The best thing that I have seen is a motion activated water spray / sprinkler. Doesn't hurt the mongrel things and is not an eyesore like spikes. They are available on Ebay, but would not be very hard to make up just using any type of motion sensor, such as used for security lights.

https://birdbusters.eu/product/solar-sc ... sprinkler/

edit, add another video:

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Pigeons on the grass, alas."
Tunafish
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Tunafish »

Thank you for the suggestion of the motion activated sprinkler. That sounds like a good idea,
I will try and get hold of one.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

When I turn on my sprinklers, of which I have several, the birds flock to have a shower. It may work due to the sudden start up but I doubt whether it will deter them for long.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

The device is not a sprinkler but a directional spray, I have tried to buy this type of device on Lavada but no luck, if anyone can let me know where to get one would be great
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I haven't seen any local suppliers, but as most of this type of thing comes from China, the ones on Ebay are probably all from the same source.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=wa ... 0activated

https://www.pigeoncontrolresourcecentre ... carer.html

https://birdcontrolaustralia.com.au/sho ... scarecrow/

http://birdsoff.com.au/scarecrow-hydro-blast/
zingerhk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by zingerhk »

Nereus wrote:Ended up I did not use him as the Condo management would not allow it. He uses the usual spikes etc., but also has some clear paint on deterrent that birds evidently cannot tolerate on their feet. I have never before seen pigeons that will roost on flat surfaces like these mongrels here do! Most birds prefer to land / roost on a small surface.

The best thing that I have seen is a motion activated water spray / sprinkler. Doesn't hurt the mongrel things and is not an eyesore like spikes. They are available on Ebay, but would not be very hard to make up just using any type of motion sensor, such as used for security lights.

https://birdbusters.eu/product/solar-sc ... sprinkler/

edit, add another video:

https://www.stop-bird.com/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk

VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The old lady neighbor feeds the bl@#*!! things!! They used to raid the dog food but I don't have a dog any more. I keep them at bay with a 'toy' gun that shoots plastic pellets if they get to close. It works. The hanging snakes don't work and the spikes did not deter the mynahs; they just piled dried grass and built their nest. I think the mynahs protecting their nest is the main deterrent.
วินเชนท์
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Pigeons are annoying but not half as bad as these Myna creations that sometimes seem to vindictively go out of their way to piss you off ... hate them. :cuss:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol