Thai Navy to buy Chinese submarines

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Navy presses for 2nd Chinese sub

Post by sateeb »

caller wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:31 pm And ditched (for now).

Thai social media went ape shit!

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics ... -epidemic/
I know there are a lot of detractors regarding social media but here is an example of how it can be used for good. 10 years ago this junta (still) would have gotten away with it. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Announcement on Thai news last night that the government was suspending the order for the submarine and using the money to help combat Covid-19.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Navy needs new leadership, and so glad the government basically is saying the same, by suspending
the order for now. They can now suspend the leader of the Navy until he gets replaced.
My opinion anyway.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:Announcement on Thai news last night that the government was suspending the order for the submarine and using the money to help combat Covid-19.
I can't find anything about this. Any idea which channel this news was on? I've only seen the news about the landing ship.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand considers postponing military acquisitions
The Thai government is considering potentially postponing military procurements in response to the expected economic impact of Covid-19, Lieutenant General Kongcheep Tantravanich, the spokesperson for the Thai Ministry of Defence (MoD), said on 8 April.

Lt Gen Kongcheep also said that any potential delay to planned defence acquisitions will be discussed internally within the MoD and with foreign suppliers to minimise the impact on the Royal Thai Armed Forces.

Unlike many of its Asian counterparts, the Thai MoD does not look to procure defence equipment through credit provided by international suppliers. Instead, it looks to spread the cost of procurement through defence budgets over several fiscal years.

Nonetheless, Lt Gen Kongcheep's comments confirm that the Thai defence ministry is the first in the region to point to future procurement difficulties as a consequence of Covid-19.

https://www.janes.com/article/95427/cov ... quisitions
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:56 am
handdrummer wrote:Announcement on Thai news last night that the government was suspending the order for the submarine and using the money to help combat Covid-19.
I can't find anything about this. Any idea which channel this news was on? I've only seen the news about the landing ship.
It was early this week, my wife told me about it. I can't tell you the exact news program.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:39 pm
hhinner wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:56 am
It was early this week, my wife told me about it. I can't tell you the exact news program.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... t-the-chop
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

PeteC wrote:
handdrummer wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:39 pm
hhinner wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:56 am I can't find anything about this. Any idea which channel this news was on? I've only seen the news about the landing ship.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... t-the-chop
So the first submarine is still on according to that BP report which only says the second and third are on hold.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The first sub was ordered 3 years ago and cannot be cancelled. The second sub has been put on hold. The deal was 'buy 2 and get one free'!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

In that case let's hope the 2nd goes through and think of the money they'll save. Seriously, as if China will build a whole submarine for nothing.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Thai submarine purchase hits rough seas

Post by hhfarang »

"Thai submarine purchase hits rough seas"

https://news.yahoo.com/thai-submarine-p ... 59025.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Thai submarine purchase hits rough seas

Post by handdrummer »

hhfarang wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:02 am "Thai submarine purchase hits rough seas"

https://news.yahoo.com/thai-submarine-p ... 59025.html
Without the subs, how will Thailand stop an incursion by the Biafran navy?
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

What I find interesting is that the only country that could possibly present a threat to Thailand in the ocean would be building Thailand's Sub's. How do you think that confrontation would go?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

brianks wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:41 am What I find interesting is that the only country that could possibly present a threat to Thailand in the ocean would be building Thailand's Sub's. How do you think that confrontation would go?
it would go well for both parties. Thailand would do what they always do: bend over and lick boots and China would complete it's takeover of Thailand.
buksida

Post by buksida »

NAVY DEFIES CABINET, ASKS CHINA TO SIGN SUBMARINE DEAL
A source within the Royal Thai Navy said Monday its leadership tried to encourage the Chinese defense agencies to put into writing an intent to sell two Yuan-class submarines to Thailand, despite a Cabinet resolution suspending the deal.

According to the source, navy top commander Adm. Luechai Ruddit asked China via a secret letter to send a delegate to the Thai navy’s base in Chonburi and seal the agreement for the procurement of the second and third submarines within 30 Sept. – the day Adm. Luechai is due to retire.

“Failure to do so will definitely jeopardize this essential project; meaning we have to start the whole project again from scratch,” part of the letter seen by Khaosod English said.

It was addressed to Xu Zhanbin, vice director of China’s State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense, or SASTIND.

Thailand inked the deal for its first submarine from China in 2018, with two more on the way. But the government agreed to delay the procurement in August amid outcry that Thailand’s economy and financial situation were already overwhelmed by the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... al-source/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson