Four major routes chosen for higher speed limit trials

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... mit-trials

Thai roads not designed for high speeds, accident research centre warns

The Transport Ministry is planning to test a controversial 120km/hour speed limit on Phahon Yothin, Mittraphap, Sukhumvit and Phetkasem — four key roads that link Bangkok to the rest of the country.

However, which sections of the routes will be chosen for the new speed limit is still being studied, Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said, adding that he picked the routes because of their high traffic volume.

Mr Saksayam wants personal cars to drive faster in the right lanes in order to ease traffic congestion. The existing speed limit, which is set at 80kph, is oudated and requires an update.

“What we’re going to do is nothing new. Other countries have already applied certain speed limits on certain lanes,” Mr Saksayam added.

Four-lane roads in Thailand can handle different speed limits. The maximum speed limit in the farthest right lane should raised to 120kph and the limit on the adjacent lanes to the left should be adjusted to 100, 80 and 60kph respectively.

The new restrictions are likely to be imposed on parts of Phahon Yothin, which runs to the North, Mittraphap to the North East, Sukhumvit to the East and Phetkasem to the South.

The goal is to reduce the number of drivers who “enjoy driving slowly” in the two right lanes, Mr Saksayam said.

He vowed to act against such drivers if they do not follow appropriate speed limits on these lanes. “The drivers will be warned and fined if they recommit the offence."

The minister has set up a panel, led by permanent secretary for transport Chaiwat Thongkamkoon, to translate his policy into practice. Other members include national police chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda and Bangkok governor Pol Gen Aswin Kwanmuang.

They will meet next week and get things done as soon as possible.
“I want the new speed limits to take effect by today or tomorrow,” Mr Saksayam said.

However, there are some key steps his policy must go through, including consideration by the Commission for the Management of Land Traffic.

The policy is being put ahead amid concerns raised by the Thailand Accident Research Centre at the Asian Institute of Technology. It said in a letter recently sent to Mr Saksayam that roads in Thailand and its infrastructure are designed to support a speed limit between 90kph and 110kph.

The change will lead to more accidents, it warned.
Mittraphap is one of the four roads planned for a 120km/hour speed limit project. (Post Today photo)
Mittraphap is one of the four roads planned for a 120km/hour speed limit project. (Post Today photo)
c1_1723527.jpg (92.71 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
nil
Professional
Professional

Re: Four major routes chosen for higher speed limit trials

Post by nil »

Insanity. But what else do you expect in this country.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

nil or sid or whatever - other posts also dam this country - so why not go elsewhere after your short stay here, where you might be happy.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Are you having a bad day musungu. Being negative to other people is not a good mindset to get into.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Saksayam pushing for 120kph limit

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... t#cxrecs_s

published : 10 Dec 2019 at 04:01

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob will raise the speed limit on sections of selected highways to 120 kilometres per hour, after opinion polls show most people agree with the move.

Mr Saksayam said that a recent opinion poll carried out by the Transport Ministry showed 71% of all respondents surveyed want the government to increase the highway speed limit from 90kph to 120kph.

"We are currently drafting a ministerial regulation for the new speed limit, which we plan to submit to the land transport management committee chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon by the end of this month," he said.

Under the new regulation, the minister said, different speed limits will apply on different lanes on the affected highways.
"There will be separate lanes for cars travelling at about 80kph, 100kph and 120kph on selected highways," he said.

"Both the lower and upper speed limit will be enforced on fast lanes."

The minister said that the 120kph limit will not apply on certain stretches, including near road curves as well as near schools and community centres.

Mr Saksayam also said that that the new speed limit will be introduced on a 150km-long stretch of Highway 32 between Bang Pa-in in Ayutthaya and Nakhon Sawan, and some sections of the Mitraphap Highway in the Northeast and Vibhavadi Rangsit Road in Bangkok.

The minister said that highways where the new speed limit will be applied will be improved and stronger traffic barriers will be installed to match the higher speed limit.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think most speed limits are generally ignored here regardless of what someone in Bangkok wants them to be.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

"There will be separate lanes for cars travelling at about 80kph, 100kph and 120kph on selected highways," he said.
That'll work!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

So you become a 'slow hazard' when up-laning and you will be speeding when down-laning until your speed is adjusted. How on earth can that be enforced.

Regardless, Thais will drive at whatever speed they like in whatever lane.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I've never seen a Thai who "enjoys driving slow."
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:14 pm I've never seen a Thai who "enjoys driving slow."
Well I have on occasion, although typically they tend to hog either the middle or outside lane forcing you to undertake and increase the risk of an accident.

As with so many things in Thailand, the theory often sounds plausible but the reality is a different world, still you have to admire their initiative?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Must admit that I've quite got into the swing of things, driving wise here.

I've been driven by many people over the past 21 years but since getting my first car this February, I've managed to put into practice what I've learnt and been shown.

Shout at everyone
Get wound up over slower vehicles
Have no respect for pedestrians
Any dog that's loose should be run over but as I only have a small car that isn't always practicable.
Go as fast as I can on open roads but not over 110 kph. I think that's OK especially if overtaking tractors on blind corners.
I always speed up when getting near schools.

OK, the above is nowhere near an exhaustive list of my best moves on Thai roads after all of less than one year of driving here. But it is good fun and I'm alive and no-one's dead through me yet.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

lomuamart wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 pm OK, the above is nowhere near an exhaustive list of my best moves on Thai roads after all of less than one year of driving here. But it is good fun and I'm alive and no-one's dead through me yet.
Presumably you're not looking in your rear-view mirror, so how can you be sure of that? :naughty:
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

lomuamart wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 pm
Shout at everyone
Get wound up over slower vehicles
Have no respect for pedestrians
Any Small, overloaded pick up should be run over but as I only have a small car that isn't always practicable.
Go as fast as I can on open roads but not over 110 kph. I think that's OK especially if overtaking tractors on blind corners.
I always speed up when getting near schools.

I agree but with one change and one addition

Paraphrasing George Carlin, "I aim for the cars with the baby on board stickers"
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Just drive as the Thais do with your eyes closed.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

The accelerator is an on-off switch...